Megadrive Emulation - Gives me headaches

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

ProtoKnux
Rookie

Megadrive Emulation - Gives me headaches

Post by ProtoKnux »

Hi, I've been trying emulators since 2002, but still I don't know much about technical stuff. But I don't think we are going to talk about that yet. I have tried tons of emulators and time ago I have discovered the Vsync and Triple Buffering options. So now I can't just play something without Vsync, perhaps because my graphics card is a piece of shit when it comes to 2D graphics or something. The fact is like 5 years ago I don't remember using that feature, and I remember playing games just fine. Now I have a selection of emulators for each of my favorite platforms, except for the Megadrive. This is my hardware:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (socket 939)
Motherboard: A8N-SLI SE (Chipset nForce4 SLI)
RAM: 1.5 GB DDR400 Kingston
Graphics Card: Geforce 7900GT
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! 24 PCI

I think is pretty much what you need to know to help me with this. And I think this is enough to at least play some Megadrive games at full speed, with Vsync on and no frame skips, even with some filters, but I may be just wrong with that statement.

What I mean is, Kega and the last beta of Regen, they both give me small, but noticeable frame skips. And since there are no frame skip settings, I can't fix that. Gens works at full speed, but there are crackling sound effects every 10 seconds if I put frame skip on 0, even with the worst sound settings. And If I put frame skip on automatic I notice the same frame skips Kega and Regen do. I have even recorded those crackling sounds as a proof.

The problem is, I have tried Gens on another PC with a different chipset (VIA k8t800), though the processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, and the results were the same, but with different time intervals for those crackling sounds to appear.

Now, I don't even know what the problem is with my computer, or the emulators, and I'm trying to find it out. Perhaps those crackling sounds are due to sound acceleration? It's a common problem with AMD proccessors? thanks for the help.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

o_O I got Kega Fusion to work smoothly on a 2.6 ghz Northwood based Celeron with Intel integrated graphics.

The culprit might be the Sound Blaster sound card. Creative's drivers are notoriously shit.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I use Kega, Gens, and Regen with no problems.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Make sure you are running the special AMD patches/drivers.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ProtoKnux
Rookie

Post by ProtoKnux »

Deathlike2 wrote:Make sure you are running the special AMD patches/drivers.
Special AMD patches? are they official or something? I never heard of them. Can you give me some links?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=AM ... tnG=Search

It helps to google on your own.

Edit: It doesn't help if you don't provide what OS you use.. additionally, you aren't using Dual Core, so I don't think those patches are actually needed (I could be wrong).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

the drivers do add better support for the additional Power states athlon 64 can use. It might have an effect if Kool n Quiet is enabled.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
ProtoKnux
Rookie

Post by ProtoKnux »

Deathlike2 wrote:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=AM ... tnG=Search

It helps to google on your own.

Edit: It doesn't help if you don't provide what OS you use.. additionally, you aren't using Dual Core, so I don't think those patches are actually needed (I could be wrong).
My OS is Windows XP SP3 (32 bit), I have tried with Cool n Quiet and I have the same result, and when you said "Special patches" I thought they were just like, dunno, special, modified or something, not the default ones, that I have tried months ago with the same results, that's why I asked.

The thing is, I have tried with integrated sound, and a CMI8738, and I have the same problem. I think it's fault of the processor, but I don't know what to say. I don't think AMD processors are bad for emulation, but having 2 pc's with AMD 64 processors with the same problem is a bit suspicious. Perhaps I should upgrade to Intel.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

haven't had any issues with an Opteron 165, which is a dual-core socket 939 chip - it's not a K8 problem.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

If the motherboard has an integrated sound card, try using that instead.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
odditude

Post by odditude »

ProtoKnux wrote:The thing is, I have tried with integrated sound, and a CMI8738, and I have the same problem.
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:If the motherboard has an integrated sound card, try using that instead.
reading fail.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:If the motherboard has an integrated sound card, try using that instead.

which forceware version are you using?

that being said, I'd isolate whats common to both computers and then start eliminating one by one till you find the culprit.

AMD64 is a bit picky about ram timing as well. got any more info on your RAM?
Last edited by funkyass on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProtoKnux
Rookie

Post by ProtoKnux »

ProtoKnux wrote:The thing is, I have tried with integrated sound, and a CMI8738, and I have the same problem.
-
odditude wrote:haven't had any issues with an Opteron 165, which is a dual-core socket 939 chip - it's not a K8 problem.
What chipset does your mobo use?

EDIT: Forceware version: 175.63
Last edited by ProtoKnux on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ProtoKnux wrote: The thing is, I have tried with integrated sound, and a CMI8738, and I have the same problem.

I love that searching for franpa alert actually returns results.

Edit: Damn, quad smacked.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Kega Fusion and Regen are the best Genesis/Megadrive emulators out there. Sounds to me the problem might lay in the firmware of the graphics card.

Do you use the default settings for the graphics card? Also, do you have the Show FPS options on in both Kega and Regen, if so, do you notice any drops in the FPS?
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
ProtoKnux
Rookie

Post by ProtoKnux »

King Of Chaos wrote:Kega Fusion and Regen are the best Genesis/Megadrive emulators out there. Sounds to me the problem might lay in the firmware of the graphics card.

Do you use the default settings for the graphics card? Also, do you have the Show FPS options on in both Kega and Regen, if so, do you notice any drops in the FPS?
I have Show FPS on both and sometimes they just slow down to 59 fps every 5 seconds, but I don't think that should be a real problem. About the Graphics card config, everything checked. But about the firmware, I don't know if there's a firmware that could fix this.
odditude

Post by odditude »

ProtoKnux wrote:
odditude wrote:haven't had any issues with an Opteron 165, which is a dual-core socket 939 chip - it's not a K8 problem.
What chipset does your mobo use?

EDIT: Forceware version: 175.63
Her mobo is an ASUS A8N-VM CSM (GF6150/NF430 chipset). Haven't had any issues with either the onboard video or with an add-on GF 7600GS across multiple driver revisions. Memory is 2x 1GB Corsair DDR400 (CL2). Audio is whatever's onboard (see support.asus.com, i'm too lazy to look it up ATM).
ProtoKnux
Rookie

Post by ProtoKnux »

odditude wrote:Her mobo is an ASUS A8N-VM CSM (GF6150/NF430 chipset). Haven't had any issues with either the onboard video or with an add-on GF 7600GS across multiple driver revisions. Memory is 2x 1GB Corsair DDR400 (CL2). Audio is whatever's onboard (see support.asus.com, i'm too lazy to look it up ATM).
Then it shouldn't be the chipset either. I think my motherboard is just a bit old.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... 320053.zip

Try installing this driver. I don't think the cool n quiet driver will help in this case.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Try using the DPC Latency Checker and check if any of your drivers/devices are polling the CPU for extensive periods of time (thus ruining the ability for real-time processing)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

franpa wrote:Try using the DPC Latency Checker and check if any of your drivers/devices are polling the CPU for extensive periods of time (thus ruining the ability for real-time processing)

the problem with that is... nothing really uses real-time scheduling outside of very specific applications, and really has no bearing here.

ProtoKnux
Rookie

Post by ProtoKnux »

snkcube wrote:http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... 320053.zip

Try installing this driver. I don't think the cool n quiet driver will help in this case.
That's exactly what I've tried yesterday, and it doesn't help a bit.

Anyway, I'm going to upgrade my PC tomorrow, at least a little bit, not just because of that, this motherboard gives me another problems like, the secondary IDE channel not working, not recognising my RAM as DDR400, etc... I could say at least Nforce 4 sucks. I don't know about any other Nforce versions, but I pass. I'm going to buy a Gigabyte with an AMD chipset this time.

I had the chance to try Gens on another PC with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200, chipset AMD 690G, 2 GB DDR2800, an integrated ATI graphics card and GENS goes flawlessly without those annoying sound effects.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ProtoKnux wrote:Anyway, I'm going to upgrade my PC tomorrow, at least a little bit, not just because of that, this motherboard gives me another problems like, the secondary IDE channel not working...
So... your motherboard is broken, and you neglect to mention this?
That seems like it might fall under the header of relevant information.
I'm going to buy a Gigabyte with an AMD chipset this time.
You know AMD bought nVidia, right? So you're really not getting away from the nForce that way.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

AMD bought ATI...

I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I'm going to buy a Gigabyte with an AMD chipset this time.
You know AMD bought nVidia, right? So you're really not getting away from the nForce that way.

As funkyass says, they bought ATi. I'm kind of glad they did that, though, considering nVidia's semi-horrible chipsets...