Effective emulator design.

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:I would shoot for the N64, It's the more insane undertaking but I have the upmost faith in you. Plus being the first system to use a graphics accelorator (first mainstream console right) I think that would be a good match for someone like you who knows a decent amount about that sort of thing.
Pretty sure the PS1 was the first home system with 3D hardware.
Not very GOOD 3D hardware, mind you, but... it had it.
And you'd be wrong.

The PS1 is completely 2D.
Graphics processing unit

This chip is separate to the CPU and handles all the 2D graphics processing, which includes the transformed 3D polygons.

Features:

* Maximum of 16.7 million colors (24-bit color depth)
* Resolutions from 256×224 to 640×480
* Adjustable frame buffer
* Unlimited color lookup tables
* Maximum of 4000 8×8 pixel sprites with individual scaling and rotation
* Emulation of simultaneous backgrounds (for parallax scrolling)
* Flat or Gouraud shading, and texture mapping
its nothing more then Pseudo 3D rendering 2D Textures / polygons on a screen in a way that appears 3D.

...without a zbuffer its impossible to provide 3D depth.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

thats like saying quake was a 2d game because I ran it on my cirrus logic VLB card.

but then again, you don't need hardware to do z-buffer. Without hardware T&L, hardware z-buffer is a bit pointless.

the video cards that where the PS1's contemporaries didn't much more than what the PS1 did.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:I would shoot for the N64, It's the more insane undertaking but I have the upmost faith in you. Plus being the first system to use a graphics accelorator (first mainstream console right) I think that would be a good match for someone like you who knows a decent amount about that sort of thing.
Pretty sure the PS1 was the first home system with 3D hardware.
Not very GOOD 3D hardware, mind you, but... it had it.
And you'd be wrong.

The PS1 is completely 2D.
Graphics processing unit

This chip is separate to the CPU and handles all the 2D graphics processing, which includes the transformed 3D polygons.

Features:

* Maximum of 16.7 million colors (24-bit color depth)
* Resolutions from 256×224 to 640×480
* Adjustable frame buffer
* Unlimited color lookup tables
* Maximum of 4000 8×8 pixel sprites with individual scaling and rotation
* Emulation of simultaneous backgrounds (for parallax scrolling)
* Flat or Gouraud shading, and texture mapping
its nothing more then Pseudo 3D rendering 2D Textures / polygons on a screen in a way that appears 3D.

...without a zbuffer its impossible to provide 3D depth.
*SNAP!*

It's pretty clearly NOT impossible, as they do it.

Hell, fucking Battlezone did it on a 6502.

I'd also consider a technical description of the chip's functionality more relevant to this discussion than a bullet-list of features cut/pasted from Wikipedia.
Especially a bullet list with no cited references and at least one known factual error. The PS1 does not have sprites. At all. Ever.
It has sprite functions in the BIOS, but they merely create quads with textures. All 2D functions are wrapped to the 3D hardware that doesn't exist.

Also, you skipped the PS1's Geometry Transformation Engine, which was the component that did all the heavy lifting in the graphics.
It's not in the chip responsible for the final image rendering. So. Fucking. What?
The "Data Decompression Engine" that was responsible for MJPEG and H.261 video decoding wasn't in the chip responsible for final rendering either. Does that mean the PS1 doesn't have hardware-accelerated video capabilities?

Yes, the 3D is going to be "flattened" at some point. Where exactly it happens is not my fucking problem.

The exact same thing happens on a modern 3D chipset. But it's all packed away into one chip, keeping the transformation engine very close to the rendering engine.
In fact, the PS1 was ahead of it's time in having dedicated transformation hardware at all, in an era when transformation was usually dumped onto the CPU and ignored.

SPEAKING of the transformation engine... it's kind of a big deal, since it's the point that the 3D objects stop being 3D objects.

I'd argue that, if you were naming features that had to be present for a chipset to be considered 3D hardware, the transform engine would be a hell of a lot more important than a Z-buffer.
A Z-buffer is only used for determining hidden surfaces, and is not the only solution or the oldest. It's not even the BEST solution. It's just the easiest to implement.

Interestingly, the Playstation had a transformation engine well before it became standard, and many 3D accelerators that featured z-buffers did not feature a transformation engine, leaving the "hard part" to the CPU. The GeForce was the first PC graphics chipset to do transformation in video hardware.
So arguably, nothing before the GeForce is a 3D graphics chipset. But then, that's probably why the Voodoos and the Rivas and the like were sold as 3D graphics ACCELERATORS. They never promised to do it all.

I'm damned no matter what I do.

If I say the PS1 has 2D hardware, because it DOES have 2D function calls, I get chewed out because it wraps the 2D calls to the polygon hardware, so it only has 3D graphics.

And now if I say it has 3D hardware at all, I get chewed out because it's too primitive to really be 3D so it's really only 2D graphics.

If it doesn't have 2D graphics hardware, and it doesn't have 3D graphics hardware.... apparently it doesn't have graphics hardware at all, and the entire system is just a mass hallucination.

Screw it.

There's no such thing as 3D graphics. ALL systems are 2D.

Except the Virtual Boy, and a select few games on other systems that used external addons and/or cardboard glasses to create an image with actual depth that hasn't been flattened.
And even THEY are debatable, as they actually produce two separate 2D images and rely on the brain to create the illusion of depth.

Do you really want to go down this road?

funkyass wrote:thats like saying quake was a 2d game because I ran it on my cirrus logic VLB card.

but then again, you don't need hardware to do z-buffer. Without hardware T&L, hardware z-buffer is a bit pointless.

the video cards that where the PS1's contemporaries didn't much more than what the PS1 did.
Actually, they did less in some respects. The PS1's contemporaries didn't feature hardware transform. The PS1 DID.

Now, it didn't do it WELL, and the system has a LOT of geometry errors because of it, but... it DID it.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

well... it also lacks sub pixel information, which is required for accurate placement on a screen (hence why emulators have the wiggly polygon issue)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation#Technical_specifications wrote:Geometry transformation engine

This engine is inside the main CPU chip. It gives it additional vector math instructions used for the 3D graphics.

Features:

* Operating performance of 66 MIPS
* 360,000 flat-shaded polygons per second
* 180,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second

Sony originally gave the polygon count as:

* 1 million flat-shaded polygons per second;
* 500,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second.

These figures were given as a ballpark figure for performance under optimal circumstances, and so are unrealistic under normal usage.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:well... it also lacks sub pixel information, which is required for accurate placement on a screen (hence why emulators have the wiggly polygon issue)
I believe I explicitly mentioned the poor transformation engine, albeit not in response to you.
It's not accurate placement on the screen, it's accurate translation from 3D to 2D.

I'm pretty sure it's not sub-pixel information you're looking for, as pixels don't EXIST in the Geometry Transformation Engine. The PS1 GTE uses fixed-point math instead of floating-point, which caused all sorts of fun rounding errors. And THAT is the problem. Not this mythical "sub-pixel information" that never existed.

And have you ever PLAYED a PS1? It's not the emulators that have the issue, it's the system itself. There's a whole SLEW of graphical errors associated with all levels of the 3D hardware.

My favorite artifact is in Front Mission 3. Textures on the map don't rotate exactly the same as the polygons they're attached to. This is most visible in an urban environment, where the dotted paint lines down the streets wiggle and dance like a row of ants.

Also!
What the hell does that have to do with anything, anyways?
It adds nothing to the "PS1 ISN'T 3D LOL" argument. And that "also lacks" comment implies that your previous argument hasn't been torn to shreds already and does, in fact, have some sort of merit.

I can google up shortcomings in the PS1 hardware and randomly post them too. I can even comprehend what I'm reading and figure out what parts are likely bullshit spawned by people rephrasing things they were told without actually understanding them, which is more than you can do.

You could at least apologize for calling me out on a complete load of bullshit without having the slightest fucking clue what you're talking about before making yourself look like MORE of an idiot.

Are we done yet?
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Pretty sure the PS1 was the first home system with 3D hardware. Not very GOOD 3D hardware, mind you, but... it had it.
And you'd be wrong. The PS1 is completely 2D. [snip Wikipedia quote]
Hmmm, this feels like deja-vu. Ah yes, a ROM doesn't contain binary data, even if you can look at it with a microscope and pick out the ones and zeroes visually.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

it's typical blustering from squall, let it be.

the wiggling-geometry issue was always fun in mm legends 1 - the predominantly straight, even-height walls turned into zig-zags at low angles of approach =)
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'd also consider a technical description of the chip's functionality more relevant to this discussion than a bullet-list of features cut/pasted from Wikipedia.
Especially a bullet list with no cited references and at least one known factual error. The PS1 does not have sprites. At all. Ever.
It has sprite functions in the BIOS, but they merely create quads with textures. All 2D functions are wrapped to the 3D hardware that doesn't exist.
That specification list is from Sony, verbatim. PS1 also does render sprites, it doesn't "render quads via the BIOS" or anything like that. It doesn't have a sprite system like most 2D consoles do, but it is capable of blitting 2D bitmaps that are orthogonal to the screen and don't contain scaling or rotation. Sony calls this primitive sprites, and offers a few fixed size options to save on sending width/height parameters.

If you have an issue with someone talking about the PS1's sprites then take it up with Sony, not the Wikipedia node.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Also, you skipped the PS1's Geometry Transformation Engine, which was the component that did all the heavy lifting in the graphics.
It's not in the chip responsible for the final image rendering. So. Fucking. What?
All the heavy lifting? I don't know about that, I would think that texturing was pretty heavy. PS1 may have had a vector coprocessor years before 3D acceleration cards had fixed function geometry acceleration, but PS1 isn't a PC. If you look at other consoles and workstations then you'll see that the idea wasn't that extraordinary.

Look, the reason why people consider the GPU in the PS1 (not the PS1 in total, just the GPU, the chip which draws all of the graphical primitives) to be 2D is because it is supplied a set of 2D screen coordinates, not 3D coordinates. It has nothing to do with depth buffering, it has to do with an inability to maintain depth information on a per-pixel basis in order to do perspective correct transformations (mainly texturing, but it also precludes it from doing any kind of perspective correct lighting or depth testing if it had it). This is not how 3D accelerators to come textured (see: N64) and it's not just a matter of isolating the latter part of the pipeline. Said pipeline is totally different. Not that it was very strange for PS1 to be like this, given that Saturn, 3DO, and Jaguar are all the same.

No offense, but maybe you shouldn't get so angry at Squall_Leonhart when you don't have a very good understanding of how this works yourself.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Also!
What the hell does that have to do with anything, anyways?
It adds nothing to the "PS1 ISN'T 3D LOL" argument. And that "also lacks" comment implies that your previous argument hasn't been torn to shreds already and does, in fact, have some sort of merit.

I can google up shortcomings in the PS1 hardware and randomly post them too. I can even comprehend what I'm reading and figure out what parts are likely bullshit spawned by people rephrasing things they were told without actually understanding them, which is more than you can do.

You could at least apologize for calling me out on a complete load of bullshit without having the slightest fucking clue what you're talking about before making yourself look like MORE of an idiot.

Are we done yet?
Flawless Victory!

Anyway, I've been playing Resident Evil again and was reminded at how the door graphics warp and becomes zig-zagged as the door opens.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

blargg wrote:
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Pretty sure the PS1 was the first home system with 3D hardware. Not very GOOD 3D hardware, mind you, but... it had it.
And you'd be wrong. The PS1 is completely 2D. [snip Wikipedia quote]
Hmmm, this feels like deja-vu. Ah yes, a ROM doesn't contain binary data, even if you can look at it with a microscope and pick out the ones and zeroes visually.
Ha!
Must be punch cards never existed, because you can't just punch binary into a piece of paper :lol:
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Exophase wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Also, you skipped the PS1's Geometry Transformation Engine, which was the component that did all the heavy lifting in the graphics.
All the heavy lifting? I don't know about that, I would think that texturing was pretty heavy. PS1 may have had a vector coprocessor years before 3D acceleration cards had fixed function geometry acceleration, but PS1 isn't a PC. If you look at other consoles and workstations then you'll see that the idea wasn't that extraordinary.
Comparing it to other consoles is a bit unfair, since it's only competition was the Saturn, which had it's 3D capabilities added in AFTER Sega saw the Playstation's capabilities.
Look, the reason why people consider the GPU in the PS1 (not the PS1 in total, just the GPU, the chip which draws all of the graphical primitives) to be 2D is because it is supplied a set of 2D screen coordinates, not 3D coordinates. It has nothing to do with depth buffering, it has to do with an inability to maintain depth information on a per-pixel basis in order to do perspective correct transformations (mainly texturing, but it also precludes it from doing any kind of perspective correct lighting or depth testing if it had it). This is not how 3D accelerators to come textured (see: N64) and it's not just a matter of isolating the latter part of the pipeline. Said pipeline is totally different. Not that it was very strange for PS1 to be like this, given that Saturn, 3DO, and Jaguar are all the same.

No offense, but maybe you shouldn't get so angry at Squall_Leonhart when you don't have a very good understanding of how this works yourself.
Squall said the entire system was 2D.

I do admit that I was doing research as I typed, combined with some half-recollection of a tech document I read once and can't find anymore.

And that I was pissed off in general at the time. I've also learned to harbor a little black spot in my heart for the PS1's hardware, since, as I said, it seems whatever my understanding of it is is wrong.
So I snapped, over a relatively trivial point.

As far as the sprites go.... I WAS under the impression that it just wrapped sprite calls to quads that were special-cased in software.

As far as taking it up with Sony... that's actually pretty low on the list of things I'd like to take up with them.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...You're arguing with Squall.

He'd say the sky is pink with polka dots if it makes himself seem smart on the internet.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Gil said it has 3D Hardware,

It doesn't.

All 3D is done in software on the PSX. (Ask Pete Bernert if you like)
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Metatron wrote:...You're arguing with Squall.

He'd say the sky is pink with polka dots if it makes himself seem smart on the internet.
The sky is actually colourless. What we see as blue is the refraction of light bouncing of various gasses in the atmosphere.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:The sky is actually colourless. What we see as blue is the refraction of light bouncing of various gasses in the atmosphere.
so what would you define the sky to be, since the "various gasses in the atmosphere" seem to not be included in your definition?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:All 3D is done in software on the PSX.
A quick scan over the docs at RHDN shows me that the PSX has dedicated hardware that assists in calculating and drawing polygons.

Therefore, "all [...] in software" is false.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:Gil said it has 3D Hardware,

It doesn't.

This is mincing semantics, but saying that it has "no 3D hardware" is very misleading. Saying all 3D is done in software on PS1 is just wrong, I think that there's no way Pete Bernert is going to back you up. PS1 hardware is designed with 3D in mind and although the GPU operates with 2D coordinates it and the GTE are still what's being used to generate the transformed, textured/shaded polygons that constitute a 3D scene. For whatever shortcomings it has, software can't make it any more 3D than it is, so your statement is just nonsense....
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

odditude wrote:
Squall_Leonhart wrote:The sky is actually colourless. What we see as blue is the refraction of light bouncing of various gasses in the atmosphere.
so what would you define the sky to be, since the "various gasses in the atmosphere" seem to not be included in your definition?
empty space in which the atmosphere resides.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
odditude wrote:
If something resides in it, then it's not really empty is it?

It's much like saying your brain is empty space in which brain cells reside.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

FirebrandX wrote:
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
odditude wrote:
If something resides in it, then it's not really empty is it?

It's much like saying your brain is empty space in which brain cells reside.
That's giving Squall's brain too much credit. Drop the last five words from that sentence.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:Gil said it has 3D Hardware,

It doesn't.

What is the Geometry Transformation Engine?

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Metatron wrote:...You're arguing with Squall.

The sky is actually colourless. What we see as blue is the refraction of light bouncing of various gasses in the atmosphere.
Obviously, EVERYTHING is colorless, and we only perceive them to have color because of inequalities in chromatic absorption combined with the selective responsiveness of several receptors in the retina.

What's your point?
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:What's your point?
His point is that you're an idiot for engaging in discussion (I only know this because I got the point a while back in the linked discussion about binary).
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blargg wrote:
His point is that you're an idiot for engaging in discussion (I only know this because I got the point a while back in the linked discussion about binary).
But there's no color at all! Why is he special-casing an argument for the sky?!?!
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
blargg wrote:
But there's no color at all! Why is he special-casing an argument for the sky?!?!
Think of Squall as Franpa 2.0.

Or shall I need to use hand puppets?