playstation emulators for amd64 linux

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

jdratlif
Regular

playstation emulators for amd64 linux

Post by jdratlif »

Anyone know of any?

I'm trying to figure out why pcsx-df won't work for me. It continually crashes on load saying /dev/input/js0 is already open or can't be opened or something. It has world read permissions. It shouldn't need a joystick, but I can't see any way to configure it w/o one.

pcsx, pSX, and epsxe are all binary only and 32-bit binaries at that. pcsx looked like it might work, but I couldn't configure my joystick, which would ruin it.

As for pSX, i need 32-bit versions of glade and gtkglext, which I don't know how to build right now on an amd64 system. Someone told me to make a 32-bit chroot, which I'm not that interested in. I might install something in a virtual machine and get it from there, but I'm not thrilled about either option right now.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
dfreer
Lurker

Re: playstation emulators for amd64 linux

Post by dfreer »

jdratlif wrote: As for pSX, i need 32-bit versions of glade and gtkglext, which I don't know how to build right now on an amd64 system. Someone told me to make a 32-bit chroot, which I'm not that interested in. I might install something in a virtual machine and get it from there, but I'm not thrilled about either option right now.
It really depends on what's easiest for you. If you are using a debian based distro, *most* of the 32-bit libraries you need is provided in the ia32-libs package. libgtkglext was the only one you need to install manually IIRC. Also, instead of trying to compile it, try to grab a precompiled gtkglext 32-bit lib for your system and manually install that. If you are using Gentoo or some other distro, I probably can't help much.

A 32-bit chroot might work, I've compiled programs in a 32-bit chroot but never tried to run programs from one (would need access to your specific parts of your filesystem like /dev IIRC).

Not sure how much pSX uses the graphics card to output video, but unless things have changed recently with virtualization (entirely possible I've been out of the loop for awhile), 3D gaming won't work due to generic video card virtualization.

pSX has been known to not play nice with pulseaudio, something to be aware of. Any more questions and hopefully some of the smarter guys around here can help you out.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Gentoo makes installing a chrooy pretty simple. There's a guides and the process is mostly automated. Also, virtualbox is free and supports OpenGL 1.5 acceleration. No direct3d in Linux. Fortunately, pSX doesn't require 3D accel it uses software rendering.