Nestopia 1.39

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

remember that if it's coded with a (!) or [!] (it's been awhile since I downloaded any ROMs) it's a good dump.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

xamenus wrote:
kode54 wrote:The header bit for battery RAM could be unset.
Even if that is the case, Nestopia gets the ROM info from its internal database (assuming that the database is enabled, which it is by default). Since I.S.T.'s dump is not working right, I assume it's not in the database. Hence, a bad dump.

Code: Select all

<cartridge system="NES-NTSC" dump="ok" crc="1335CB05" sha1="8A49FE60B6A151C055A63639894CD366935A7EE9">
            <board type="NES-TKROM" mapper="4">
                <prg size="256k" />
                <chr size="128k" />
                <wram size="8k" battery="1" />
                <chip type="MMC3B" />
            </board>
        </cartridge>
Aha, there it is. Must be a bad dump, then.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Hmm, the text/XML file generated by Nestopia is strange.. since it doesn't quite generate perfect text...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:After nearly three hours over the last day, I finally found a good dump of this game.

Jesus christ.

All of these bad dumps were labeled U or U !... Frigging annoying.
GoodNES! Where less than half the games indexed are good dumps!
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:After nearly three hours over the last day, I finally found a good dump of this game.

Jesus christ.

Probably all of those alpha, beta, and overdumps.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

kode54 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Jesus christ.

Probably all of those alpha, beta, and overdumps.
:idea: we should really invoke the Nach' Geniuses to those damn nes-l33t warez RAWMz, seriously :!:
85cocoa
Hazed

Post by 85cocoa »

My account on the "official" Nestopia forums got corrupted a while back when Mr. Bannister was doing some kind of maintenance, so I hope nobody minds me reporting this here:

Regarding the NTSC filter, in games such as Battletoads where the composite-video artifacts are supposed to cycle through all three possible phases, they instead appear to be locked to one phase in Nestopia 1.38. No adjustment of the filter parameters or any other video setting has an effect on this. I know that 1.37 had the right behavior, and I'm guessing that this issue has something to do with "Some video filtering work offloaded to the GPU."
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky]Pocky[/url] & [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky]Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_%26_Rocky]Pocky & Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28series%29#Animals.2FMobians]Pocky & Rocky[/url]?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

And now, I can't save anymore. Did the same deal, tried it from a billion different sites, all labeled U or U !.

Fucking NES emulation. No wonder I don't fuck with it very often...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

we should really invoke the Nach' Geniuses to those damn nes-l33t warez RAWMz, seriously
Thats if Nach is around. I haven't seen him on IRC for ages....
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

After quite a long time, I figured out why it stopped working, and what was wrong in the first place.

nestopia is keeping the mapper information for each game the same even if you use a slightly different file. When I loaded a save state I had made, it changed the mapper info to the old info, thus preventing the save.

>.< So, basically a combination of a header or two mislabeled and my own idiocy set off this ridiculous search.
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

byuu wrote:If you wanted to take a look at what I have so far ...

http://byuu.org/files/tsukuyomi_v01.tar.bz2
Thanks, I've just finished coding up the UPS feature now. Extra neat since I can now take advantage of CRC validation when loading/saving Famicom Disk System image patches!
byuu wrote:The one issue I see is with the multitude of NES ROM formats abound: the patches would need to specifically target each format, iNES v1/2 (make a patch that includes the header), UNIF (direct file patch) and XML schema (one patch for both the XML file and the binary file). One patch can't apply to all ROM types, sadly. I couldn't keep the patch format simple and account for all possible console image formats at the same time :(
Yeah, it's a dilemma. What I do right now for XML and UNIF patching is to assume iNES patches, adjust its offsets and simply apply it to the PRG+CHR data read into memory. Not bullet proof since the header could have been modified as well but still better than nothing.
Deathlike2 wrote:IIRC, it is GPL (edit: pagefault confirm this).
Hmm, did the licence change at some point? Here's what it says in the sources I have:

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------*
 * The following (piece of) code, (part of) the 2xSaI engine,          *
 * copyright (c) 2001 by Derek Liauw Kie Fa.                           *
 * Non-Commercial use of the engine is allowed and is encouraged,      *
 * provided that appropriate credit be given and that this copyright   *
 * notice will not be removed under any circumstance.                  *
 * You may freely modify this code, but I request                      *
 * that any improvements to the engine be submitted to me, so          *
 * that I can implement these improvements in newer versions of        *
 * the engine.                                                         *
 * If you need more information, have any comments or suggestions,     *
 * you can e-mail me. My e-mail: ...                                   *
 *---------------------------------------------------------------------*/
I have a vague memory reading something on the official site about the author wanting to rebase it to GPL. Can't recheck since the link seems to be dead now unfortunately.
Deathlike2 wrote:Hmm, the text/XML file generated by Nestopia is strange.. since it doesn't quite generate perfect text...
Not sure I understand. Could you elaborate?
85cocoa wrote:My account on the "official" Nestopia forums got corrupted a while back when Mr. Bannister was doing some kind of maintenance, so I hope nobody minds me reporting this here:

Regarding the NTSC filter, in games such as Battletoads where the composite-video artifacts are supposed to cycle through all three possible phases, they instead appear to be locked to one phase in Nestopia 1.38.
Shit, you're completely right. Bug fixed. As for your account. Have you talked to Richard about it? If it's completely hosed couldn't you just create a new one?
Last edited by Marty on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Marty wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:IIRC, it is GPL (edit: pagefault confirm this).
Hmm, did the licence change at some point? Here's what it says in the sources I have:

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------*
 * The following (piece of) code, (part of) the 2xSaI engine,          *
 * copyright (c) 2001 by Derek Liauw Kie Fa.                           *
 * Non-Commercial use of the engine is allowed and is encouraged,      *
 * provided that appropriate credit be given and that this copyright   *
 * notice will not be removed under any circumstance.                  *
 * You may freely modify this code, but I request                      *
 * that any improvements to the engine be submitted to me, so          *
 * that I can implement these improvements in newer versions of        *
 * the engine.                                                         *
 * If you need more information, have any comments or suggestions,     *
 * you can e-mail me. My e-mail: ...                                   *
 *---------------------------------------------------------------------*/
I have a vague memory reading something on the official site about the author wanting to rebase it to GPL. Can't recheck since the link seems to be dead now unfortunately.
When his website was still up, I believe it said something along the lines of "ZSNES has the latest version of the source".
Deathlike2 wrote:Hmm, the text/XML file generated by Nestopia is strange.. since it doesn't quite generate perfect text...
Not sure I understand. Could you elaborate?
It could be Metapad at fault for sucking badly, but I'll have to try Notepad+ (and in the worst case, Textpad) so these issues go away...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

85cocoa wrote:Regarding the NTSC filter, in games such as Battletoads where the composite-video artifacts are supposed to cycle through all three possible phases, they instead appear to be locked to one phase in Nestopia 1.38.[/i]"
nes_ntsc also comes with a few test ROMs to verify all aspects of the artifact changes between frames in various cases.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

For those that might be curious, there was a third factor.

The game only allows you to save on the world map. >.> Which basically puts 2 in the stupidity column, and 1 in the header misnamed on some of the roms column. >.>
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Deathlike2 wrote:(and in the worst case, Textpad)
Textpad is way better than most text editors out there.

Of course, Gvim is also very cool.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

v1.39 is out. :) Seems to fix a number of bugs from the previous release.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

1.39 so soon!? It must be all pure fix.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Least Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Europe) (Rev A) title screen don't jump anymore.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

Dullaron wrote:Least Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Europe) (Rev A) title screen don't jump anymore.
That's because the database now fixes incorrect iNES file headers for that dump.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

It's always a good idea to check that the headers of your NES images are correct. That is probably the source of most peoples' problems, rather than a genuine emulation bug.
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

Oh, and 2xSaI is back by popular demand. Forgot to mention it in the changelog.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Yay! That and the PR6 coming out whenever it comes out has me excited to fire up nestopia once more :)
I bring the trouble.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Marty wrote:Oh, and 2xSaI is back by popular demand. Forgot to mention it in the changelog.
That is so awesome, thanks a million.... honestly 8)
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Hicks

Post by Hicks »

How about getting the super eagle filter in Nestopia? I really like this filter in zsnes, it's the best compromise IMO.
Xtreme2damax

Post by Xtreme2damax »

I've been using this release for a while and is nice. Nestopia is one of the best NES emulators with a lot of features, nice to preserve my collection of NES games and be able to play them since I have a non-working system.