I love my job.

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

Ichinisan
Veteran

I love my job.

Post by Ichinisan »

I work in tech support for a small, local, cable ISP. I frequently go on lunch break or return from my weekend off to find voicemail messages from customers that somehow found their way into my voice mailbox. I think that the phone system sometimes glitches and dumps them into my voicemail, because I have come to find a dozen or more messages on occasion. This doesn't happen to any one else in the Tech Support department...only me. I usually hear messages from customers who are *extremely* upset or don't realize that they're recording a voicemail message and continue to wait on the line or fight/argue with family members as if they were still waiting in a hold queue. Sometimes it's funny; sometimes it's scary. Most times, it's annoying.

I'm not sure how to classify this one:
http://download.yousendit.com/9A8C2B183E546A08
Customer wrote:I would like to talk with someone to show me how to use my email part of the computer. I use the regular TV all along but I haven't used the email. Actually, what I've got is a little tape that I want to put in at the top there. ...but what do I punch to get it to start talking?

This is ----- ------. Thank you.

[No callback number? Street address? Account information?]

Looooooong silence.

Breathing.

Looooooong silence.

Rustling.

*Click*
Interpretations, anyone?
Need a new sig...
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Well, you need to delete yourself from the phone system or change your voicemail box number. And yeah, no callback number, ignore and delete it. Unless you want to "save" these for a time in the future when you can laugh at them. Apparently that person is trying to email a cassette tape. wtf?
Last edited by whicker on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus
Trooper

Re: I love my job.

Post by Cyrus »

Ichinisan wrote:
Customer wrote:I would like to talk with someone to show me how to use my email part of the computer. I use the regular TV all along but I haven't used the email. Actually, what I've got is a little tape that I want to put in at the top there. ...but what do I punch to get it to start talking?
And I thought I was hearing things. I... have no idea what the hell he's asking.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

not quite the same, but I work at EB Games, and man, the kinds of questions people ask.

I once had a guy ask me if the Wii or 360 had "better graphics" than the PS2, I felt like screaming "ARE YOU BLIND SIR!"
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
lockharte
Regular

Post by lockharte »

that is a valid question, for normal people
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

if they can't tell the difference then why do they care? I remember the same conversation with Dreamcast and PSOne, the general public is blinded by propaganda and lies.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The uber bland but correct answer is that it depends on the game. If a game has multiple ports, you can view the minute differences for themselves, but the reality is the effort put into the graphics will usually make the most difference (which is what most companies seem to focus on, unfortunately).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

that is true, but with the PSOne vs. Dreamcast it really is NIGHT AND DAY difference, regardless of the game.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Panzer88 wrote:that is true, but with the PSOne vs. Dreamcast it really is NIGHT AND DAY difference, regardless of the game.
Unless you're comparing, say, Symphony of the Night or Valk Profile. Sprite-based was a lot closer.

But in general, yeah.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

you're right, but now we're getting technical

1) there is still a resolution bump

2) those weren't the type of games those type of people would be looking for, only the "AWSUMEZT GRAFFICKS!!111" for them.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Panzer88 wrote:you're right, but now we're getting technical

1) there is still a resolution bump
And more importantly, color depth.
The PS is horribly horribly dependent on dithering. Even beauties like the ones I named get kinda fugly once you get off composite video and onto something decent.
2) those weren't the type of games those type of people would be looking for, only the "AWSUMEZT GRAFFICKS!!111" for them.
True.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Panzer88 wrote:not quite the same, but I work at EB Games, and man, the kinds of questions people ask.

I once had a guy ask me if the Wii or 360 had "better graphics" than the PS2, I felt like screaming "ARE YOU BLIND SIR!"
Reminds me of a time when I read about a customer who claimed that there was a Mario game on the PS2. The guy working kept saying there isn't, but the customer insisted there was. He gave up and said the game was sold out. Haha.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I still crack up when people come into my parent's video store and ask for "Nintendo tapes".
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

snkcube wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:not quite the same, but I work at EB Games, and man, the kinds of questions people ask.

Reminds me of a time when I read about a customer who claimed that there was a Mario game on the PS2. The guy working kept saying there isn't, but the customer insisted there was. He gave up and said the game was sold out. Haha.
I have seen this same argument out at the walmarts here. I felt bad for the electronics guy, who had to tell him Mario was only on Nintendo systems. I had to sit and watch this 30 minute saga unfold. They were the only people in town that had FF6 Advance on release day.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

AntoineWG wrote:I still crack up when people come into my parent's video store and ask for "Nintendo tapes".
They wanted the Super Mario Bros. movie?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

wasn't it that they were really asking for cartridges, but called them tapes?
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

yes. They were looking for cartridges but called them tapes.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Kajuru
Regular

Re: I love my job.

Post by Kajuru »

I think the "regular TV" he mentions is the monitor, but I'm clueless about the tape part. Maybe the printer?

From the 2600 to the Snes era, every single person I met insisted that the console wouldn't work without the antenna plugged in the RF switch...
BS-X anyone?

About Nintendo tapes, my uncle's wife once asked me how to rewind snes tapes.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

then there are the people who can't understand why "they" haven't made the N64 2 (these people don't understand that nintendo made gamecube, and now wii, this is totally lost on them)
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

creaothceann wrote:
AntoineWG wrote:I still crack up when people come into my parent's video store and ask for "Nintendo tapes".
They wanted the Super Mario Bros. movie?
Don't laugh, I just picked that up on DVD. Found it in a Hasting's bargain bin for $5
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

A DVD you say... Any extra features on that thing? (mini-games?)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

the human bowser was just too much for me. How American 80s can you get :P
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Panzer88 wrote:the human bowser was just too much for me. How American 80s can you get :P
Hey come on, Dennis Hopper was godlike in that movie.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I guess it's infinitely better than having some guy running around in a Bowser Dino suit. Either way Mario in live action is a dangerous rout, but for it's time it did good. Classic for the era despite being totally ridiculous.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

Panzer88 wrote:I guess it's infinitely better than having some guy running around in a Bowser Dino suit.