Buying a car but...

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

Mike
ZBoard Prince

Buying a car but...

Post by Mike »

Well It's a Pontiac Firebird '88. Kind of old but its the car I wanted for a while now and I found one that this lady around my way is selling for 400. Here is the catch, It has NOS inside of it. I was wondering do you guys think it will pass inspection? i don't want to buy a car and can't use it.
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Run away from the car. Buying an 88 car with nitrous is a *pretty* good indication that the previous owner may have beat the shit out of it.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

lol nos
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

I suddenly have the urge to play Super Off Road.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

So don't buy it?
*Smash Champ*
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mike wrote:So don't buy it?
No, I think that was actually a resounding endorsement of it.

It's black, right?
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

It's red. Tell me if you guys think it will pass inspection. I mean that was the original question.
*Smash Champ*
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Is nitrous illegal in your state? Where do you live?
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

I think it is actually but I'm not sure. I live in NY BTW.
*Smash Champ*
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mike wrote:It's red.
Pass.
If you can't drive down the freeway pretending you're in Knight Rider, what good is it?
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

Gil, I'm being serious dude. I was planning on getting it a paint job anyway. I do want it to be black.
*Smash Champ*
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

any pics of it (exterior, interior, etc...) ?
i also curious if the car can pass as "kngiht rider" stuff
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

Na no picture, I will get some soon. I worried about the Nos mostly though.
*Smash Champ*
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mike wrote:Gil, I'm being serious dude.
Then casualsax has already said everything that needs saying. It's an old car that's been abused.
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

Mileage is pretty good though. I don't know I guess I will think about it.
*Smash Champ*
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Why wouldn't it pass inspection with NOS?

Oh, no reason. That's right. NOS without the button pushed is like no NOS at all.

You can even take it out if you want; just put plugs in the nozzle inputs on the intake manifold.

If you're worried about emissions, they don't run the NOS when doing an emissions inspection. If they did other things to the car, though (like rip out the catalytic converter), then it might not.

The engine might indeed be beat. But it could have been beaten without NOS.

Taking it to the track once or twice a year is not that hard on a large, underpowered engine like a Trans Am's. Driving like a moron all the time, launching out of red lights, is. And NOS isn't a good indicator of that.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Obtain the VIN (usually found on the dashboard on the driver's side near the windshield, or on the car's registration ticket/title) of the car and go here:
http://www.carfax.com

GO THERE (assuming you have a debit or credit card with ~$25 on it) AND LOOK UP THE HISTORY REPORT OF YOUR CAR. it's better to waste $25 on the history report and know what the vehicle has been through rather than spend $400 on a (possible) lemon with A LOT of faults.

that said, I recommend getting Progressive Auto insurance as well. Good rates and coverage, even though I'm 22 and only had one wreck. (I checked there before and after my wreck, my insurance quote only went up by $10. pfft.) Speaking of insurance, a paint job may do it good, as a red colored car is higher to insure.

also, get one of those velocity air filters (the ones shaped like a cone) and have someone install it. you'll get better gas mileage, and even a few more horsepower.

And Mike, how many miles does the car have? it's usually good for the car to have on average about 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year.

One last thing, go to a reputable and reliable garage or mechanic and ask him to do a 30 point inspection on the vehicle as well to see just how much needs to be repaired/replaced/maintained.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Where in NY? Laws vary by county here. Rensselaer and Albany don't even have emissions, for example.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:Speaking of insurance, a paint job may do it good, as a red colored car is higher to insure.
It'll also save you money. Red cars are more likely to get pulled over for speeding.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...Why is that?

Has warhammer infected the brains of traffic agents?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Metatron wrote:...Why is that?

Has warhammer infected the brains of traffic agents?
A. Red is really visible.
B. Throttle-happy retards tend to buy red more than other people, so the cops just assume you're a throttle-happy retard if you drive red.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

Don't buy the car unless you have a friend check out the mechanics. In my experience, 400 dollar cars can end up costing many times over what you initially paid (in terms of parts and labor) to pass a safety or to just keep the damn thing running.
bringing Zsnes back
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:B. Throttle-happy retards tend to buy red more than other people, so the cops just assume you're a throttle-happy retard if you drive red.
I always thought it was because red cars were more likely to get stolen
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

darkbenny wrote:Don't buy the car unless you have a friend check out the mechanics. In my experience, 400 dollar cars can end up costing many times over what you initially paid (in terms of parts and labor) to pass a safety or to just keep the damn thing running.
Upon trying to sell my car a few years back, I loved this sentiment and how openly hostile people were.

Yay, let's say you buy a $400 car. You "unfortunately" end up paying 4 times over the price of the car in repairs. You still only paid $2000.

Now go to a used car lot. You're not going to find anything drivable and "recommended" until up at about $5500, unless you've got connections. And even if everything on the inspection list is OK, who knows WTF is going to happen 5 miles down the road when you drive it off the lot.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

whicker wrote:
darkbenny wrote:Don't buy the car unless you have a friend check out the mechanics. In my experience, 400 dollar cars can end up costing many times over what you initially paid (in terms of parts and labor) to pass a safety or to just keep the damn thing running.
Upon trying to sell my car a few years back, I loved this sentiment and how openly hostile people were.

Yay, let's say you buy a $400 car. You "unfortunately" end up paying 4 times over the price of the car in repairs. You still only paid $2000.

Now go to a used car lot. You're not going to find anything drivable and "recommended" until up at about $5500, unless you've got connections. And even if everything on the inspection list is OK, who knows WTF is going to happen 5 miles down the road when you drive it off the lot.
You must have some pretty shady used car dealers in your area.

The point I was trying to make for Mike, is that a 400 dollar car is seldom really a 400 dollar car, and that it is foolhardy to buy an automobile at any cost if you don't know jack shit about the mechanics.

I researched for 6 months before buying my 1994 Golf III a few years back and found out all I could about the model before I was willing to lay down any cash. I looked at a few, had them checked mechanically, before settling of one via a private sale (no dealer). So far so good.
bringing Zsnes back