View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:35 am



Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
I've left school!! 
Author Message
"Your thread will be crushed."
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 am
Posts: 1234
Location: Not in Winnipeg
Reply with quote
Post 
Franky wrote:
Ok, explain to me, because I'm getting annoyed now.


You claim to get good marks while at the same time, you are lazy. High school is designed in such a way that anyone should be able to pass it, even with minimal amounts of work. As someone who spent seven years in university taking hard sciences, I know that it isn't just hard work that will get you through it. It requires a certain way of thinking. Almost all of my classmates have this ability. Your posts do not demonstrate any sort of coherent thought pattern, and immediately show your immaturity.


Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply with quote
Post 
OOOH, so thats that causing the confusion!
You people think I'm going from highschool to university. You're all american right?
Well, I have a question, do you guys call college university, and university college?

I'm not going straight into university. Uni and college are seperate. The exams I'm taking soon are GCSE's (I'm british), and in college I will be doing A-Levels (A-level -- 1st year gives you an actual qualification, an "AS", but an AS is not an A-Level, it is half. The second year is "A2", and once you've got that, you have an full A-level).

Now, I'm not sure about university after college, or work.
I haven't read much about universities yet, but I eventually want to get into computer science, which is why at college I'm taking computing. The Maths is there because, well, good programmers are good with maths. And the physics is there because, well, I want to eventually get into the gaming industry (obviously to make a game realistic you need to have a very good grasp at physics).


Wed May 14, 2008 7:47 pm
Reply with quote
Post 
badinsults wrote:
Franky wrote:
Ok, explain to me, because I'm getting annoyed now.


You claim to get good marks while at the same time, you are lazy. High school is designed in such a way that anyone should be able to pass it, even with minimal amounts of work. As someone who spent seven years in university taking hard sciences, I know that it isn't just hard work that will get you through it. It requires a certain way of thinking. Almost all of my classmates have this ability. Your posts do not demonstrate any sort of coherent thought pattern, and immediately show your immaturity.

Please, keep the insults coming. If I'm informed about my flaws, I'll be aware of them and be able to fix them.

People only see the flaws in their ways when they see the effect it makes on them or other things, or when people tell them.


Wed May 14, 2008 7:48 pm
Reply with quote
Post 
The reason you don't think my writing is coherent is because I don't write good english when I don't have to. This is one of the places where I don't have to.

But my writing is not my thought.


Wed May 14, 2008 7:50 pm
Reply with quote
Post 
Please, people, keep telling me what's wrong with me. I don't even care if you insult me. I don't cry when people tell me what I'm doing wrong -- I listen to them.

In fact, you'll be helping me by insulting me. I love being criticized. (provided it is constructive criticism, not just plain old spiteful comments).


Last edited by ZH/Franky on Wed May 14, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed May 14, 2008 7:51 pm
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:47 am
Posts: 6747
Reply with quote
Post 
Franky wrote:
I haven't read much about universities yet, but I eventually want to get into computer science, which is why at college I'm taking computing. The Maths is there because, well, good programmers are good with maths. And the physics is there because, well, I want to eventually get into the gaming industry (obviously to make a game realistic you need to have a very good grasp at physics).


Computer science has a lot to do with the way you think. When I did goto a college with a great focus on Computer Science, many people (over 50%) have dropped out of that since they simply don't grasp the mentality required to do the job required. It's not something you can just study up for. You have to actually understand wtf you are doing.

_________________
Continuing FF4 Research...


Wed May 14, 2008 7:54 pm
Profile
"God"

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:24 pm
Posts: 1128
Reply with quote
Post 
Franky wrote:
...those people two.


Here's a tip Franky: People have gotten an F on assignments because of one typo. And you can't explain that as a typo.

If you can't do good English here of all places, then you will have problems with good English where it counts.

_________________
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.


Last edited by funkyass on Wed May 14, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post 
Deathlike2 wrote:
Franky wrote:
I haven't read much about universities yet, but I eventually want to get into computer science, which is why at college I'm taking computing. The Maths is there because, well, good programmers are good with maths. And the physics is there because, well, I want to eventually get into the gaming industry (obviously to make a game realistic you need to have a very good grasp at physics).


Computer science has a lot to do with the way you think. When I did goto a college with a great focus on Computer Science, many people (over 50%) have dropped out of that since they simply don't grasp the mentality required to do the job required. It's not something you can just study up for. You have to actually understand wtf you are doing.

Yes, that makes sense. It's not just a bunch of facts that you remember in your head, and write them down on paper, without questioning those facts at all or understanding why those facts are facts, but rather, computer science is knowing why, how, and what you are doing. I know exactly what you're talking about.


Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 pm
"Your thread will be crushed."
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 am
Posts: 1234
Location: Not in Winnipeg
Reply with quote
Post 
Franky wrote:
badinsults wrote:
Franky wrote:
Ok, explain to me, because I'm getting annoyed now.


You claim to get good marks while at the same time, you are lazy. High school is designed in such a way that anyone should be able to pass it, even with minimal amounts of work. As someone who spent seven years in university taking hard sciences, I know that it isn't just hard work that will get you through it. It requires a certain way of thinking. Almost all of my classmates have this ability. Your posts do not demonstrate any sort of coherent thought pattern, and immediately show your immaturity.

Please, keep the insults coming. If I'm informed about my flaws, I'll be aware of them and be able to fix them.

People only see the flaws in their ways when they see the effect it makes on them or other things, or when people tell them.


Only experience in life will make you aware of your problems. I was your age once, I know how it is. When I was younger, I too wanted to become a computer scientist, and after my first year of school, I realized how much I hated it. The calculus and classical mechanics that will be required for your goal of making video games will initially seem to be pointless and unrelated to your career path. I am not convinced you will be able to battle through it. A good scientist would not allow a display of pure ignorance the way you have.


Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply with quote
Post 
funkyass wrote:
Franky wrote:
...those people two.


Here's a tip franky: People have gotten an F on assignments because of one typo. And you can't explain that as a typo.

ooo great. Thanks for the heads up.


Wed May 14, 2008 7:57 pm
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:47 am
Posts: 6747
Reply with quote
Post 
Franky wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Franky wrote:
I haven't read much about universities yet, but I eventually want to get into computer science, which is why at college I'm taking computing. The Maths is there because, well, good programmers are good with maths. And the physics is there because, well, I want to eventually get into the gaming industry (obviously to make a game realistic you need to have a very good grasp at physics).


Computer science has a lot to do with the way you think. When I did goto a college with a great focus on Computer Science, many people (over 50%) have dropped out of that since they simply don't grasp the mentality required to do the job required. It's not something you can just study up for. You have to actually understand wtf you are doing.

Yes, that makes sense. It's not just a bunch of facts that you remember in your head, and write them down on paper, without questioning those facts at all or understanding why those facts are facts, but rather, computer science is knowing why, how, and what you are doing. I know exactly what you're talking about.


I agree with badinsults though. I honestly believe you don't know. You honestly have not demostrated that with any of your posts, so it's hard to argue that you have at any point in time.


funkyass wrote:
Franky wrote:
...those people two.


Here's a tip Franky: People have gotten an F on assignments because of one typo. And you can't explain that as a typo.


Quoted for truth.

_________________
Continuing FF4 Research...


Wed May 14, 2008 8:00 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post 
Quote:
Only experience in life will make you aware of your problems. I was your age once, I know how it is. When I was younger, I too wanted to become a computer scientist, and after my first year of school, I realized how much I hated it. The calculus and classical mechanics that will be required for your goal of making video games will initially seem to be pointless and unrelated to your career path. I am not convinced you will be able to battle through it. A good scientist would not allow a display of pure ignorance the way you have.

Well experience and simply growing up go a long way, but I don't care if the growing up is unnatural.

You are not convinced because of what you said (" A good scientist would not allow a display of pure ignorance the way you have"), right?
Well, display ignorants because I am ignorant at the moment. But so was you at my age. so were your parents. So was Bill Gates. So was Steven Hawkins.

If I were you and you were me, well....
actually, you already know what that would be like, because you were my age once, weren't you?

Sure, if the choices I'm making now are mistakes, so be it. But I'm not able to see the future. Who knows, maybe I've made the right choices, maybe I haven't.
Do you know?


Wed May 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Randomness
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:01 pm
Posts: 1172
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post 
Sorry, I have a habit for assuming people are American. GCSEs are extremely easy to the point where they are almost worthless. You have quite a way to go yet. I was very cocky after I got 8 A grades at GCSE and did not revise. Then I did A Levels, and they were much harder.

A Levels are marked to a much higher standard. Its possible to get an A in the GCSE and fail the A-Level. For A-Levels, do loads of practice papers and revise, otherwise you won't get into the University that you want (AKA a Russell Group University), and you will be destined for Anglia Ruskin or Thames Valley.

Actual University is harder still. I had to completely change my normal way of doing things, but I coped really well. Others could not cope and had to drop out after a while.

_________________
ZSNES Documentation Project | bsnes Fan | Official ZSNES Facebook Group


Wed May 14, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Box Car Superhero

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:26 pm
Posts: 596
Reply with quote
Post 
holy quadruple post franky

_________________
bringing Zsnes back


Wed May 14, 2008 8:37 pm
Profile
Locksmith of Hyrule
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:49 am
Posts: 3634
Location: 255.255.255.255
Reply with quote
Post 
Franky wrote:
Please, people, keep telling me what's wrong with me.

well your multiple posting and whining on this page for one

it's called an EDIT button, there is one on the side of your posts, near the quote button. Use it.

Also, whatever became of you researching things thoroughly before posting?

_________________
Image
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.


Wed May 14, 2008 8:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply with quote
Post 
Ok, I'm all set. Thanks for the advice/warnings guys. Now I must take action.
You won't be seeing me for a looong time.

It's time for me to grow up. Wish me luck.


Wed May 14, 2008 9:45 pm
Devil's Advocate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:51 pm
Posts: 2293
Location: Hmo. Son.
Reply with quote
Post 
High School is about scoring with girls, going to parties, having friends, having fun and figuring out what you want to do with your life, sometimes there are classes and exams in between.

Sometimes you might even find that at Uni or College.

_________________
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.


Wed May 14, 2008 10:57 pm
Profile
Lurker
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 194
Location: Austalia
Reply with quote
Post 
Good luck Franky!

If you return, remember to use that wonderful feature this forum has to offer.... the EDIT button.

_________________
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis


Thu May 15, 2008 12:28 am
Profile
Transmutation Specialist
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:17 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Colombia (and no, not on the jungle)
Reply with quote
Post 
1. Do math and physics problems, lots of 'em. Try to make at least half of each lesson.
2. Have sex, but no girlfriends, it fuks you up.
3. Do NOT leave everything for the last moment. Seriously, read first, finish first, gives you more time (this is the hardest one to do).
4. Dont be a dick.

_________________
[size=67]
Playing:
[color=green]Blur, Front Mission DS, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, The Last Remnant[/color]
In Line:
[color=red]Far Cry II, Final Fantasy XIII, Revenant Wings[/color]
[/size]


Thu May 15, 2008 3:27 am
Profile ICQ
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: PAL50, dood !
Reply with quote
Post 
Or you can be a lucky bastard and float through the various exams until you graduate with major awesome without pulling any kind of major effort, then hit a solid motherlode after a couple years going from little job to little job

<- herro thar peeps

Because even if only 0.1% of procratinators actually pull that, that makes a whole lot of lucky bastards. ^^

_________________
皆黙って俺について来い!!
Code:
<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54


Thu May 15, 2008 7:07 pm
Profile
Justice is Blind

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:33 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Test
Reply with quote
Post 
What exactly are you doing?


Thu May 15, 2008 7:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: PAL50, dood !
Reply with quote
Post 
Metallic structural stress engineer. Image

_________________
皆黙って俺について来い!!
Code:
<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54


Last edited by grinvader on Thu May 15, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.



Thu May 15, 2008 8:57 pm
Profile
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:14 pm
Posts: 3534
Location: Nokia Land
Reply with quote
Post 
grinvader wrote:
Metallic structural stress engineer.

Again, seeing that sentence coupled with the "HEART!" avatar makes it all the more fitting. For some strange reason.

_________________
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Image


Thu May 15, 2008 9:36 pm
Profile
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Posts: 5622
Location: PAL50, dood !
Reply with quote
Post 
So be it.

_________________
皆黙って俺について来い!!
Code:
<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54


Thu May 15, 2008 9:42 pm
Profile
Justice is Blind

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:33 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Test
Reply with quote
Post 
grinvader wrote:
Metallic structural stress engineer. Image


Can I ask how you got that with a major in Biology?

That seems to... make college sound wasted, ahahahha.


Fri May 16, 2008 1:15 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.