LHC Collider...

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

LHC Collider...

Post by franpa »

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html
welcome to the 28th october...
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I wouldn't expect anything less fake from you Franpa.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Pfft. The vacuum metastability event front will propagate at close to c. We won't even have time to realize anything happened before we're dead.

I pity the fools on the other side of the galaxy that will have enough lead time to see it coming.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

meh, I'd think earth would look more fashionable with a big crater where europe once was.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

and how was the LHC would help us understand the universe as they claim?
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

Rashidi wrote:and how was the LHC would help us understand the universe as they claim?
It's allowing them test stuff that wasn't tested before. It will help scientist prove or disprove many theories currently held in the world of science.
I can't be more specific than that, because I'm not really into sub-nuclear theories / astrophysics / etc.
But most of the things we enjoy now and take for granted - think about electricity, TV, radio, medicine - were made possible through scientific experiment.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Pfft. The vacuum metastability event front will propagate at close to c. We won't even have time to realize anything happened before we're dead.

I pity the fools on the other side of the galaxy that will have enough lead time to see it coming.
This opens up for the possibility that advanced sapient alien species, that has been observing but not interacting with us because of some Undeveloped Planet Protection Treaty or whatever, now finally will come and say hi, and tell us to stop trying to break the Universe.

I suppose a well aimed meteor would do the trick too.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Francis64 wrote:
Rashidi wrote:and how was the LHC would help us understand the universe as they claim?
It's allowing them test stuff that wasn't tested before. It will help scientist prove or disprove many theories currently held in the world of science.
I can't be more specific than that, because I'm not really into sub-nuclear theories / astrophysics / etc.
But most of the things we enjoy now and take for granted - think about electricity, TV, radio, medicine - were made possible through scientific experiment.
The REALLY big one is that the LHC can hypothetically generate collisions energetic enough to expose the Higgs boson.

It's the last unobserved particle predicted by the standard model of particle physics. If it exists, the LHC should expose it.

For what it's worth, Hawking's bet $100 that we don't see a Higgs boson.
He's looking for a confirmation of string theory.

Either way, we learn more about the underlying nature of the universe.

There's several other particles we might expose, and tests on several grand unified theories(which unify gravity with electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force).

Right now, we don't really understand how gravity works, or why it's so much weaker than the other forces.
The LHC is supposed to shed some light on that.

See also: http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/08/cern ... a-black-h/
The LHC rap.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Johan_H wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Pfft. The vacuum metastability event front will propagate at close to c. We won't even have time to realize anything happened before we're dead.

This opens up for the possibility that advanced sapient alien species, that has been observing but not interacting with us because of some Undeveloped Planet Protection Treaty or whatever, now finally will come and say hi, and tell us to stop trying to break the Universe.

I suppose a well aimed meteor would do the trick too.
But thanks to the 1c speed limit that exists throughout the universe, they'll be too late!
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! DIE YOU POINTY-EARED VULCAN BASTARDS!
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Nah, we wn't die.

It'd create too much of a workload for St. Peter, and expansion plans for Heaven aren't complete yet. So God let us pitiful humans live.

THIS TIME.

Just... please don't provoke Him to open His mouth. That thing kills.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Only mormons go to heaven, so they probably have enought space. Satan, on the other hand, will have to find a bigger place for everyone to party.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:But thanks to the 1c speed limit that exists throughout the universe, they'll be too late!
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! DIE YOU POINTY-EARED VULCAN BASTARDS!
I was thinking their spies would find out what's going on before we trigger any universal catastrophe.
If they don't, there's always the option to escape at the speed of light forever.
Last edited by Johan_H on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

redundant thread title is redundant

franpa probably uses ATM machines too
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I like Japanese JRPG games.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:redundant thread title is redundant

franpa probably uses ATM machines too
And puts his PIN number into them.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

dudes, lhc colliders are devices that put two or more operational lhc's traveling accrross a rail, waintg for them to collide, so the universe gets populated by franpa clones.
_-|-_
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

The more I hear the name "LARGE HADRON COLLIDER", the more it sounds like a SUPER ROBOT weapon.

Sounds like something out of gunbuster.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Joe Camacho wrote:The more I hear the name "LARGE HADRON COLLIDER", the more it sounds like a SUPER ROBOT weapon.

Sounds like something out of gunbuster.
It does, actually...
Damn you, now I've got an image of Noriko shouting particle accelerator names in my head. Damn you to Nebraska!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Oh yeah... the other "big thing" they're testing, after finding the Higgs boson, is figuring out the matter/antimatter asymmetry.

IN THEORY, a particle and it's antiparticle are identical except for charge, and the fact that they annihilate when they touch each other.

As we understand things, the Big Bang should have released equal amounts of matter and antimatter.
But if it had, the entire fledgling universe would've annihilated itself almost instantly.

The universe favors regular matter over antimatter, and we don't know why.
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

The most terrifying I think is if the world really disappear, no one will be left to post the video on Youtube.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The most terrifying I think is that if the world really disappears, there'd be no more supermarkets, no Nelson's Column, the dollar would've sunk for ever, every Bogart movie would've been wiped, and McDonalds - there'd be no longer any such thing as a McDonald's hamburger.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Oh yeah... the other "big thing" they're testing, after finding the Higgs boson, is figuring out the matter/antimatter asymmetry.

IN THEORY, a particle and it's antiparticle are identical except for charge, and the fact that they annihilate when they touch each other.
It's a bit more than charge, which is why they annihilate. Let's just say every nonsymetric properties are reversed.
As we understand things, the Big Bang should have released equal amounts of matter and antimatter.
But if it had, the entire fledgling universe would've annihilated itself almost instantly.
Hmm, sorry about that, but I'm gonna rant a bit. The big bang didn't 'release' shit. Yay for the stupid name, but it's not a fucking explosion. The big bang is the expansion of the physical dimensions of space. That's all.
The energy was there to begin with (also see: why ? because god put it there lawl) and it WAS generating pairs of particles/antiparticles constantly (and the universe was annihilating itself constantly as well) until the spatial dimensions got large enough and the energy and matter concentrations got low enough for the created shit to remain more than a couple femtoseconds.

I like to think that the point about antimatter is not exactly that it is 'unfavoured' but rather 'where the fuck is it'. From a strictly energetically point of view the most likely possibility is that matter and antimatter got sent in slightly diverging directions (like in our own experiments, as a matter of fact, but usually generating a lot of it just averages the directions and they all annihilate).
So we'd get a huge ball of antimatter and matter with a bit of each not overlapping. And now remove the overlapping part in a big annihilation that propelled the remaining crescents apart.
Take the crescent of matter and label it universe, and keep expanding dimensions and annihilating shit until antimatter and matter aren't close to each other anywhere (only the two crescent tips where in that situation, anyway). Now if the big gap (where things were overlapping) in the center is big enough, someone on the matter side couldn't see stuff from the other side.
... is what i think.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

As a physicist, this experiment excities me. I really do hope they are able to detect these inperceivable dimesions that may explain why gravity is so weak, and I do hope they are able to produce black holes. What does concern me is that the media is listening to these nutjobs that say this is going to cause the world to end. Seriously, do these reporters not have better things to do? Actually, I think this is a case of the reporters not doing enough investigation, so scratch that.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

The other issue is that a good number of reporters simply don't have the scientific background to understand what's going on, so they simply parrot what others say. It's a shame, really.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

creaothceann wrote:The most terrifying I think is that if the world really disappears, there'd be no more ... McDonalds - there'd be no longer any such thing as a McDonald's hamburger.
Hey, a bright side!

grinvader wrote:
Hmm, sorry about that, but I'm gonna rant a bit. The big bang didn't 'release' shit. Yay for the stupid name, but it's not a fucking explosion. The big bang is the expansion of the physical dimensions of space. That's all.
It was released from a pin point hypersingularity, and subsequently expanded out to the universe-sized void it is today. :P

I like to think that the point about antimatter is not exactly that it is 'unfavoured' but rather 'where the fuck is it'. From a strictly energetically point of view the most likely possibility is that matter and antimatter got sent in slightly diverging directions (like in our own experiments, as a matter of fact, but usually generating a lot of it just averages the directions and they all annihilate).
So we'd get a huge ball of antimatter and matter with a bit of each not overlapping. And now remove the overlapping part in a big annihilation that propelled the remaining crescents apart.
Take the crescent of matter and label it universe, and keep expanding dimensions and annihilating shit until antimatter and matter aren't close to each other anywhere (only the two crescent tips where in that situation, anyway). Now if the big gap (where things were overlapping) in the center is big enough, someone on the matter side couldn't see stuff from the other side.
... is what i think.
Ooooohhhh... so if you fly far enough across the universe, you eventually fly into a dust cloud that tears your ship apart! Fun times for Captain Kirk!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

According to the public opinion on reddit, reporters are looking for controversies, not the truth. It gets more viewers/readers.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list