OFFICIAL 2008 Holiday Loots Thread

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

OFFICIAL 2008 Holiday Loots Thread

Post by DEFIANT »

I know it's early but what the hell....

I do not let my wife buy anything computer related, so when I told her I wanted a new PC, I was the one that picked it out.

This is my early Christmas present but not my only one:

(new)MB------------------ASUS P5QC
(new)CPU-----------------Intel Dual Core 2 e8500 3.17GHz
(new)Video Card---------nVidia 9600 GT OC (PCi-Express)
(new)RAM----------------Crucial 2-2GB Sticks DDR2
(new)CD/DVD Burner---ASUS DRW-2014L1T (SATA)
(new)HardDrive----------Maxtor 500GB 16mb cache (SATA)
(new)Ethernet Card---Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet (NC100 v2) (PCI)

from old PC to new:

HardDrive---------80GB (SATA)
HardDrive---------250GB (SATA)
Power Supply---550W
Sound Card-----Sound Blaster 24bit Live (PCI)

If you all noticed why I'm not using the on board Ethernet the answers simple. The MB on board Ethernet is crap and keeps dropping all my downloads. I went and bought a cheap card from wally world (walmart) to test my problem. I found no problems with the cheap card so I kept it. I should just return the MB. For one, its under warranty and for two, I bought a year policy on it so If I f*ck it up they'll replace it free of charge. Theres just too much snow here on the roads so I'm stuck for now.

I'm also IDE free. All my devices are SATA. Yhea!
Last edited by DEFIANT on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

got a heavy-duty north face parka from my gf... her netbook should be arriving today (eee pc 901 in sakura red)
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

As some of you may know in my Top 5 ways nintendo ruined mario thread thread, I was to get a Wii soon. I managed to score it a little early along with the following:

1) Wii Play w/ spare Wiimote
2) Monster 4x4 World Circuit
3) Madden NFL 2008 (yes I know there's an '09, but it's all we had so -shrug-, also shut up.)
4) Spare nunchuck to go with said spare wiimote
and 5) (even tho it's not relevant to the Wii but hey) a 5L keg of Heineken's beer.

also damn you DEFIANT you stole the thread idea from me this year :( oh well, title altered somewhat to fit the image
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

adventure_of_link wrote:As some of you may know in my Top 5 ways nintendo ruined mario thread thread, I was to get a Wii soon. I managed to score it a little early along with the following:

1) Wii Play w/ spare Wiimote
2) Monster 4x4 World Circuit
3) Madden NFL 2008 (yes I know there's an '09, but it's all we had so -shrug-, also shut up.)
4) Spare nunchuck to go with said spare wiimote
and 5) (even tho it's not relevant to the Wii but hey) a 5L keg of Heineken's beer.

also damn you DEFIANT you stole the thread idea from me this year :( oh well, title altered somewhat to fit the image
... Where the heck is Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess in that list? >:O
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

excite truck|mario kart wii > any other racing game on wii
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

or no more heroes, or metroid

try playing a quality title, save the crap for later

this is the first year in a while where i don't know what i'm getting in advance. but my sister is getting a wii with animal crossing, my fiancee is getting a 4G 16 GB yellow ipod nano with v-moda vibe headphones, one cousin is getting two chef ramsay cookbooks, and another cousin is getting a tablet and an ocarina. other cousins and a friend, but those are the biggies.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

looks like he's going for multiplayer games though
class:Trolololo
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

adventure_of_link wrote:As some of you may know in my [url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12355]also damn you DEFIANT you stole the thread idea from me this year :( oh well, title altered somewhat to fit the image
Sorry man, I just got this thing put together this morning and needed to brag to people who don't care so I came here.

Good change to title. After you said something I remembered I didn't included the date.

I'd get a Wii but I'm looking forward to FF13 and told me wife that she should get me a Xbox 360 and Ace Combat 6 for now. Hopefully it will be under the tree come 2 days from now. Will see...
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Defiant, make sure your PSU has enough amps on the +12v rails, older PSU's tend to focus on the +5v rail.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

I believe it does. No funny little crashes yet. I bought the PSU about 4 years ago to replace an aging 300W piece of crap. I was using the 300W for about 6 years before that. Back then I didn't have a lot of power draw from my fans and the old video card didn't take power. I will probably pick up a 750W I saw at Newegg sometime down the road. Will see how this PSU holds out.

Thanks for the heads up.
E=mc²
odditude

Post by odditude »

a good-quality 500W PSU would be fine for that machine. corsair, enermax, antec (earthwatts), seasonic, pcp&c, etc.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

If you pay for power I'd also definitely recommend a high efficiency PSU. I have a 430 Watt Antec Earthwatts, and with electricity rates in New York City it saves me $20 a month.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

DEFIANT wrote:I believe it does. No funny little crashes yet. I bought the PSU about 4 years ago to replace an aging 300W piece of crap. I was using the 300W for about 6 years before that. Back then I didn't have a lot of power draw from my fans and the old video card didn't take power. I will probably pick up a 750W I saw at Newegg sometime down the road. Will see how this PSU holds out.

Thanks for the heads up.
You should still check the specs, don't want it giving out and taking something else with it since it IS connected to everything :/
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

sweener2001 wrote:or no more heroes, or metroid

Actually, most of those titles included an accessory.

That being said, that time I was asking about wii vs gc tp, that copy ended up being mine -_-" apparently he didn't like zelda -shrug-

And Aaron, I did mention getting smg soon.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

odditude wrote:a good-quality 500W PSU would be fine for that machine. corsair, enermax, antec (earthwatts), seasonic, pcp&c, etc.
casualsax3 wrote:If you pay for power I'd also definitely recommend a high efficiency PSU. I have a 430 Watt Antec Earthwatts, and with electricity rates in New York City it saves me $20 a month.
Hmm, I will look into this Earthwatts. Since I'm all for saving the environment and a few pennies in my pocket, it sounds good to me.
franpa wrote:You should still check the specs, don't want it giving out and taking something else with it since it IS connected to everything :/
I'm going to tomorrow. Too tired right now. Plus... I'm still buzzing about all the newness of it. :D But your right, better safe then sorry.

Thanks guys for the advice. Always apreciated.
E=mc²
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

adventure_of_link wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:or no more heroes, or metroid

Actually, most of those titles included an accessory.

That being said, that time I was asking about wii vs gc tp, that copy ended up being mine -_-" apparently he didn't like zelda -shrug-

And Aaron, I did mention getting smg soon.
your friend's loss. zelda is amazing.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

I got:
$25 gift card for Best Buy
The Police - Certifiable
Arcade Mania
Clothes from family

So far, it's been awesome.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

adventure_of_link wrote:And Aaron, I did mention getting smg soon.
Oh, okay. By the way, does anyone else think that that game should be called Super Mario Solar Systems (despite the fact that it doesn't roll off the tongue as well)?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

sweener2001 wrote:your friend's loss. zelda is amazing.
Yes it is

I just got the wooden sword
NSRT here.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

So far:

clothes
chocolate
a calendar
a book :o
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Yes it is

TMI
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

funkyass wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
Yes it is

TMI
You don't know where the virgin AOL will swing at.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude

Post by odditude »

odditude wrote:got a heavy-duty north face parka from my gf... her netbook should be arriving today (eee pc 901 in sakura red)
she also got me the world ends with you. from the rest of the family, got cash, gift cards, cookies, and a pair of leather driving gloves.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

A shirt.
A tie.

Yeah, at least they match.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Selection box and sweets
Book
Bananaman T-Shirt
Shirt
Deodorant
Nosehair trimmer
A Michael Macintyre DVD
A teddybear.

Money, with which I have bought a mobile phone to replace my old one that died. May buy an iPod with the rest.