View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 pm



Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Xbox 360 vs PS3 pricing wars 
Author Message
Official tech support dood

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 am
Posts: 2097
Reply with quote
Post 
grinvader wrote:
In memoriam
James T. Kirk wrote:
SCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART!
Leonidas wrote:
SCAAAAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAAAAA!

_________________
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:43 pm
Profile
Inmate

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Posts: 1485
Location: Salem, Oregon
Reply with quote
Post 
was I the only one watching DTV in 2004? Some people are making it sound like the newest invention.

_________________
byuu wrote:
Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(


Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Inmate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:47 am
Posts: 1751
Location: WA
Reply with quote
Post 
adventure_of_link wrote:
You didn't need to run out and buy that uberexpensive $1k or more HDTV.


HAH

when AoL thinks uber-expensive
it's actually a pretty good set, though. 1080p, 120 Hz LCD.

but given the 60" kuro elite, mitsubishi laservue, and other high tier HDTV's, 1k is not what i would call uber-expensive. that's practically mainstream for hdtv. vizio and westinghouse hover around that price point, along with a slew of past gen lcd's from every major company.

although an excellent projector can be had for around 3k. but then you'd need a screen, or theater paint, and that's not cheap.

why don't we move this to discussion to hdtv tech of choice. OLED currently excluded, since it's still not widely commercially available in sizes greater than 11"

we have a 60+" 1080p DLP, and it's nice. although on pure white, i can kind of see the rainbow-ing effect.

my plan is a 46" samsung series 8 lcd.

my dream set keeps alternating between a projector and a plasma, but with pioneer halting their plasma line, i don't know what to think.

also, audio brands of choice?

_________________
Image


Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:22 am
Profile
Inmate

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Posts: 1485
Location: Salem, Oregon
Reply with quote
Post 
$1000 is expensive I got a good quality 32" 1080p set for only $500

also 120hz lcds of today can only upscale 60hz content up to 120hz, when native 120hz content comes out, it won't be able to play it because they aren't built to recognize 120hz signals so all that money spent is now useless, I'll wait till sets that recognize native 120hz signals.

_________________
byuu wrote:
Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(


Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Inmate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:47 am
Posts: 1751
Location: WA
Reply with quote
Post 
sweener2001 wrote:
but given the 60" kuro elite, mitsubishi laservue, and other high tier HDTV's, 1k is not what i would call uber-expensive. that's practically mainstream for hdtv. vizio and westinghouse hover around that price point, along with a slew of past gen lcd's from every major company.


i see at least a 40" or 37" in just about every house i visit. i'm talking ~80%, here. 1k is mainstream. also, visiting houses is a part of my job, so i've been a lot of houses.

and apparently i've seen way more 46+" than you think exist.

it's not that i visit rich people, either. except those couple times i walked into a 60" kuro elite with these ridiculous audio set-ups from brands i've never heard of.

i'm sure your tv is suiting you just fine, but big picture, 1k is the mainstream price.

_________________
Image


Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 pm
Profile
Buzzkill Gil

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm
Posts: 4259
Reply with quote
Post 
odditude wrote:
HDTV is not a subset of DTV - the 'D' means something completely different in those two acronyms. There are most definitely methods of providing an HD analog signal (e.g. component video cables).

DTV = Digital TV, usually meaning an ATSC or QAM broadcast.
This compares to TV, generally accepted to mean an analog (e.g. NTSC) broadcast.

HDTV = High-Definition TV, displaying at a resolution >= 720p or 1080i.
This compares to SDTV (Standard-Definition, at <= 480i) and EDTV (Enhanced-Definition, generally accepted to mean 480p).


SDTV and HDTV are BOTH subsets of DTV.
EDTV is not a real standard. It's a buzzword made up by the CEA.
You also forgot 1080p in your HDTV definition.


Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:25 pm
Profile
Inmate

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Posts: 1485
Location: Salem, Oregon
Reply with quote
Post 
sweener2001 wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:
but given the 60" kuro elite, mitsubishi laservue, and other high tier HDTV's, 1k is not what i would call uber-expensive. that's practically mainstream for hdtv. vizio and westinghouse hover around that price point, along with a slew of past gen lcd's from every major company.


i see at least a 40" or 37" in just about every house i visit. i'm talking ~80%, here. 1k is mainstream. also, visiting houses is a part of my job, so i've been a lot of houses.

and apparently i've seen way more 46+" than you think exist.

it's not that i visit rich people, either. except those couple times i walked into a 60" kuro elite with these ridiculous audio set-ups from brands i've never heard of.

i'm sure your tv is suiting you just fine, but big picture, 1k is the mainstream price.


I delivered furniture for a living until not long ago, there was a decent amount of HDTV owners, but there was also just as many and more who didn't. I even went to many extremely rich people's houses that DIDN'T have HDTVs I suppose because they just didn't care and spent their money on other niceties.

I'm not saying a lot of people don't have HDTVs, but in the united states I would still say half or more do not, ESPECIALLY not 46"or greater, I don't know where you work but that is NOT the norm.

_________________
byuu wrote:
Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(


Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Official tech support dood

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 am
Posts: 2097
Reply with quote
Post 
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
SDTV and HDTV are BOTH subsets of DTV.
worded that way, you are indeed correct.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
EDTV is not a real standard. It's a buzzword made up by the CEA.
"real" or not, it was used in the marketing of TVs a few years back.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
You also forgot 1080p in your HDTV definition.
odditude wrote:
>= 720p or 1080i

_________________
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.


Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:21 am
Profile
Inmate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:47 am
Posts: 1751
Location: WA
Reply with quote
Post 
Panzer88 wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:
but given the 60" kuro elite, mitsubishi laservue, and other high tier HDTV's, 1k is not what i would call uber-expensive. that's practically mainstream for hdtv. vizio and westinghouse hover around that price point, along with a slew of past gen lcd's from every major company.


i see at least a 40" or 37" in just about every house i visit. i'm talking ~80%, here. 1k is mainstream. also, visiting houses is a part of my job, so i've been a lot of houses.

and apparently i've seen way more 46+" than you think exist.

it's not that i visit rich people, either. except those couple times i walked into a 60" kuro elite with these ridiculous audio set-ups from brands i've never heard of.

i'm sure your tv is suiting you just fine, but big picture, 1k is the mainstream price.


I delivered furniture for a living until not long ago, there was a decent amount of HDTV owners, but there was also just as many and more who didn't. I even went to many extremely rich people's houses that DIDN'T have HDTVs I suppose because they just didn't care and spent their money on other niceties.

I'm not saying a lot of people don't have HDTVs, but in the united states I would still say half or more do not, ESPECIALLY not 46"or greater, I don't know where you work but that is NOT the norm.


right my job that do now compared to the one you had.

also
I wrote:
i see at least a 40" or 37" in just about every house i visit. i'm talking ~80%, here.


your whole last paragraph is invalid. i'm pretty positive a LOT of hdtv's moved over this last holiday season, as well.

also 1080i != 1080p

_________________
Image


Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:19 am
Profile
Inmate

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Posts: 1485
Location: Salem, Oregon
Reply with quote
Post 
I was moving furniture in january, I never said 1080i = 1080p, I know the difference

and my statement still stands, the majority of houses I visited in the Salem, Portland, Eugene Oregon area did not have HDTVs.

_________________
byuu wrote:
Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(


Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Zealot

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:03 am
Posts: 1325
Reply with quote
Post 
It depends on the area, I guess...


Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:09 am
Profile
Inmate

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Posts: 1485
Location: Salem, Oregon
Reply with quote
Post 
just me arguing with sweener isn't going to go anywhere.

Honestly people, do you think the majority of households in the United States has a flat screen 1080p television of 36" or greater? no fucking way. I do but I am not the norm. I went airsofting with an acquaintance of mine back on tuesday, when I went over to his house he had an LCD, and he had cable, but his tv was something like 18 inches. That is SMALL but I see a lot of things like that, old people who have a LARGE square standard def television, or young people who want "high def' and so have these tiny tiny tiny 720p lcds.

Of course I know and have seen many people with big new televisions too, but it isn't the majority. I have a friend that works at a rent-a-center and they still get a ton of rentals for flat screens around super bowl times etc, because people don't OWN their own.

I'm not against big screens, I have one, I love em, but I laugh at someone saying the majority of american households have a flat screen over 36" inches (which usually means 1080p)

_________________
byuu wrote:
Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(


Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:53 am
Profile WWW
Inmate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:47 am
Posts: 1751
Location: WA
Reply with quote
Post 
Panzer88 wrote:
I was moving furniture in january, I never said 1080i = 1080p, I know the difference

and my statement still stands, the majority of houses I visited in the Salem, Portland, Eugene Oregon area did not have HDTVs.


that was not for you

also oregon = hippies

as an aside, i was also trying to change the subject anyway. i see what i see at my job. i know what my friends own. and 36+ inches does not equal 1080p. been to a walmart lately? 768p is still very prevalent. and have you even checked prices on 40" vizio sets? they sell them at freaking costco.

_________________
Image


Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:28 pm
Profile
Inmate

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Posts: 1485
Location: Salem, Oregon
Reply with quote
Post 
eastern oregon = hippies, western oregon = just south of Seattle.

the point is different places are different, saying the majority of ALL of America is a crazy statement, I'm sure places like Kansas to the ghettos of New York aren't hooked up yet.

I'm not saying a lot of people don't have HDTVs just saying the majority of the entire country is crazy talk.

_________________
byuu wrote:
Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(


Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Buzzkill Gil

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm
Posts: 4259
Reply with quote
Post 
odditude wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
SDTV and HDTV are BOTH subsets of DTV.
worded that way, you are indeed correct.

That's funny, because the wording hasn't changed.


Gil_Hamilton wrote:
HDTV is a subset of DTV. They are not entirely different things. Just like a square is a rectangle.


Gil_Hamilton wrote:
SDTV and HDTV are BOTH subsets of DTV.



Explain to me when the definition of subset changed.

Arr, mateys edit: Explain to me when you got that quote-fumbling disease. It worries me.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:03 am
Profile
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Posts: 5621
Location: PAL50, dood !
Reply with quote
Post 
Panzer88 wrote:
was I the only one watching DTV in 2004? Some people are making it sound like the newest invention.

DTV started in france in 2005, with a coverage of roughly 100 houses and 25 goats.

... so yeah. Not really a priority around here, especially since you need a hidef tv to even appreciate it, and that such tvs make ALL the old stuff look like crap AND are expensive as fuck (or half-fuck, for the smaller ones).
People tend not to get bumfucked that raw if they can help it.

Btw, 4 years after, the coverage is about ok, but signal issues galore, and we all know how digital stuff sucks compared to analog when it comes to delivering from a botched input.

_________________
皆黙って俺について来い!!
Code:
<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54


Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:23 am
Profile
Official tech support dood

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 am
Posts: 2097
Reply with quote
Post 
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Explain to me when the definition of subset changed.

it didn't, but i had interpreted what you initially said differently than how you meant it. the latter quote clarified it for me.

_________________
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.


Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:20 pm
Profile
Regular

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:22 am
Posts: 282
Reply with quote
Post 
sweener2001 wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
You didn't need to run out and buy that uberexpensive $1k or more HDTV.


HAH

when AoL thinks uber-expensive
it's actually a pretty good set, though. 1080p, 120 Hz LCD.

but given the 60" kuro elite, mitsubishi laservue, and other high tier HDTV's, 1k is not what i would call uber-expensive. that's practically mainstream for hdtv. vizio and westinghouse hover around that price point, along with a slew of past gen lcd's from every major company.

although an excellent projector can be had for around 3k. but then you'd need a screen, or theater paint, and that's not cheap.

why don't we move this to discussion to hdtv tech of choice. OLED currently excluded, since it's still not widely commercially available in sizes greater than 11"

we have a 60+" 1080p DLP, and it's nice. although on pure white, i can kind of see the rainbow-ing effect.

my plan is a 46" samsung series 8 lcd.

my dream set keeps alternating between a projector and a plasma, but with pioneer halting their plasma line, i don't know what to think.

also, audio brands of choice?


Wanted to chime in on this.

Plasma is my love but its old and dying tech. LCD is crappy color, darkness and input delay compared to plasma.

Im really digging panasonic and the now defunked pioneer super thin plasmas.

Im probably getting a samsung super thin LCD today as I can wait any longer for a uber thin tv. 1.2 inch thin.

Also very happy with wifi inputs on newer tvs. Cut as much clutter as you can from wall mounted tvs yah know.

Also gonna throw out that I make only around 30k a year and own 3 hdtvs. I dont know any person who's in my age range and on there own who doesnt own a 36" plus hdtv. Age range being 20 to 25. I live in Raleigh NC. Im dirt poor and work at walgreens as a cashier. Were you perhaps moving tvs in homeless shelters?


Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:59 pm
Profile
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Posts: 5621
Location: PAL50, dood !
Reply with quote
Post 
shh, you'll wake up the oled fartsboy

_________________
皆黙って俺について来い!!
Code:
<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54


Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.