View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:30 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
Where to request translations... 

Post Where to request translations...
Where would be a good place to give requests for a translation?

DeJap Projects clearly doesn't want me to request translations so me posting there would just annoy them.

The game I seek to get translated is "Daisenryaku Expert" which seems to be a Japanese only game. Seems like Daisenryaku became quite a classic.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:46 am
Zealot

It's really kind of pointless. No one here wil ltake up your request. Sorry.

Edit: also, DeJap is dead.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:47 am
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post Re: Where to request translations...
White_Cat wrote:
Where would be a good place to give requests for a translation?

Usually, that doesn't work out, for various reasons. Unless a translation group would want to translate a particular game or are actively looking for requests (which is rare in itself), you are hoping for too much.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:04 am
Retrosexual

you never know, a request like this may spark someone's interest.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:28 am
Starzinger Addict

romhacking.net forums has a thread for pointless translation request I think. It's down for the moment though.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:38 am
Profile WWW

you never know, a request like this may spark someone's interest.

The translation isn't that hard. The game is mostly animation based and not text based. So unlike some text based games you do not have a book-like translation request.

Daisenryaku series extend to today so hopefully someone would be interested in it.

What I'd like to know is names of SNES translation groups... Or at least a good way to search for them....

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:00 pm
Seen it all

There aren't groups like DeJap any more, as far as I'm aware. You just create a thread on RHDN with what you have accomplished so far (or contact familiar members via PM), and see who joins the project.

Regarding the current RHDN status see http://www.romhacking.net/ .

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Locksmith of Hyrule

The translation isn't that hard. The game is mostly animation based and not text based. So unlike some text based games you do not have a book-like translation request.

Buddy, you have NO idea how hard translation actually is.

Besides dumping and translating the WHOLE script, you have to hack through the ROM to make sure said script fits throughout the whole game (like for instance, if a place in game is meant to have five characters displayed at once (eg, names, items, etc. since most japanese words can be fit into one kanji or several katakana/hiragana), you'd have to hack through the game code to make sure you can extend the character display to more than five characters. Yeah, nothing like having POTION spelled out as POTIO in the game amirite?) This hacking process varies from game to game.

While most NES ROMs can be hacked through a hex editor, most anything from SNES upwards need special tools meant to hack that particular ROM, and not to mention anyway, some games decompress graphics on the fly.

Last edited by adventure_of_link on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

The translation isn't that hard.

Then do it.

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:18 pm

White_Cat wrote:

Besides dumping and translating the WHOLE script, you have to hack through the ROM to make sure said script fits throughout the whole game (like for instance, if a place in game is meant to have five characters displayed at once (eg, names, items, etc. since most japanese words can be fit into one kanji or several katakana/hiragana), you'd have to hack through the game code to make sure you can extend the character display to more than five characters. Yeah, nothing like having POTION spelled out as POTIO in the game amirite?) This hacking process varies from game to game.

While most NES ROMs can be hacked through a hex editor, most anything from SNES upwards need special tools meant to hack that particular ROM, and not to mention anyway, some games decompress graphics on the fly.

I know it is hard. What I meant was the actual game doesn't have that much text. It only has a handful of menus unlike some games...

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:41 pm
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

adventure_of_link wrote:
White_Cat wrote:

I know it is hard. What I meant was the actual game doesn't have that much text. It only has a handful of menus unlike some games...

You still have to find it all, like pokemon, except without any sort of cuteness. It seems easy on the surface, but if you've not done any of it yourself, you should really stop saying it's easy.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 am

White_Cat wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
White_Cat wrote:

You still have to find it all, like pokemon, except without any sort of cuteness. It seems easy on the surface, but if you've not done any of it yourself, you should really stop saying it's easy.

I was saying "relatively easy". Anyways. It turns out this forum is a waste of my time.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:51 am
Locksmith of Hyrule

I was saying "relatively easy". Anyways. It turns out this forum is a waste of my time.

Oh, so it's a waste of time because we explained how complicated some translations can be and you still assume the mentality of ITS SO EASY LOLLER

idiot

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starzinger Addict

AOL, it would be great if you could stop trying to look cool by cliché Internet dissing n00bs.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
"Your thread will be crushed."

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Anyways. It turns out this forum is a waste of my time.

You think you'll find a forum that would care to take your requests? Good luck with your search for Atlantis.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 16 posts ]