View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Minimalist Multi-Emu Front Ends? 
Hazed

Post Minimalist Multi-Emu Front Ends?
For as long as I've been playing emulators, I have just been content with loading up each emulator separately via Windows StartBar. But I've recently began considering using a multi-emulator Front End. I've tried EmuStation, EmuControlCenter, and AtomicFe, so far that last one is the only one I like because it actually looks like a Gui you'd see on an emulator for another console, but it runs a little slow and has some screen tearing problems and it's a tad confusing for me to set up. I'm wondering are there any FrontEnds that would basically be just a simple fullscreen large font list of the roms for each system? I guess something kinda like ItMightBeNes's menu. Very simple, doesn't hafta show any image tags or anything fancy. I just want it to list the games and have a big enough font that it looks alright on a TV through Svideo.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:09 pm
Official tech support dood

if each of the emulators have proper commandline support (which a frontend would require anyway) then you can get away with just making file associations in Windows and using a two-pane Explorer window as a "frontend."

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:05 pm
Hazed

I found a nice looking one that is what I wanted (just fullscreen text showing the names of the games for each emulator and easily navigated by controller), it's called GameLauncher, but I'm having a hard time trying to get it to actually run the emulator. I figured out to set the Rom Directory, I set it up with just a test folder with only one game in it, it sees the Rom, but everytime I try to hit Enter to play it all it does is flicker then goes back to the menu. The readme says it might be a typo in the command line leading to the exe, but I copy pasted so there shouldn't have been any typos.

http://www.dribin.org/dave/game_launcher/

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:56 pm

if your rom path has spaces or strange characters, that would cause a problem if the frontend doesn't pass the argument enclosed in quotes.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 pm
Hazed

I tested on another partition, with copies of the Zsnes executable and it's config files and a single rom both put in the shortest folder/path names I could think of. I don't think it's an issue with the rom path line, it shows the rom in the list fine, the emulator itself seems to not be running when I hit "enter" to load the game.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]