View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:09 pm



Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Legal Permissions 
Author Message
New Member

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Legal Permissions
Hey ZSNES team!

I have been searching for hours to try to find how to contact you. I couldn't figure out how to, and this alleged "Radio" guy doesn't show up in any searches. I'll just post my question here. If this is the wrong place, whatever. Just answer my question.

So, I posted a video a few months ago that includes footage of ZSNES. It has recently been accepted for YouTube partnership. But according to the YouTube terms of service, I need your permission to enable revenue sharing since I'm using content created by ya'll. If I don't get your permission before I enable revenue sharing, then my video will be taken down. So, will you give me permission to enable revenue sharing on a video I posted that includes footage from ZSNES?

Thanks!!!
ntr11023


Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:19 pm
Profile
Buzzkill Gil

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm
Posts: 4259
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
ntr11023 wrote:
Hey ZSNES team!

I have been searching for hours to try to find how to contact you. I couldn't figure out how to, and this alleged "Radio" guy doesn't show up in any searches. I'll just post my question here. If this is the wrong place, whatever. Just answer my question.

Radio was only responsible for site design, not actual ZSNES development.
I WISH I could say he was only alleged to exist, but... he does.

_________________
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Quote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.


KHDownloads


Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:59 am
Profile
"Your thread will be crushed."
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 am
Posts: 1234
Location: Not in Winnipeg
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
We really do need to update the website.


Also, I don't really know why you would think that you need permission to show videos of zsnes. At the very least zsnes is GPL, so there is nothing stopping you from profiting provided any source code changes remain publicly available.

_________________
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome


Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:46 am
Posts: 280
Location: Tromaville
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I WISH I could say he was only alleged to exist, but... he does.

hahaha
yeah, radio was a dick.
I could so throw a ddr reference in right now but nah, I'm too tired/drunk.


Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 pm
Profile
Starzinger Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:14 pm
Posts: 998
Location: Sweden
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
Yeah I doubt you'd need permission for that. Did all of those people with partnership posting gameplay videos and such get permission from the game copyright holders, for example?

My wild uneducated guess would be that legally it's something like taking and selling a photo of a building; you don't need the architect's permission for that.

_________________
- Oskar's chiptunes -


Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Posts: 5621
Location: PAL50, dood !
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
Johan_H wrote:
My wild uneducated guess would be that legally it's something like taking and selling a photo of a building; you don't need the architect's permission for that.

That one actually depends who you are and what you intend to do with the photo.

_________________
皆黙って俺について来い!!
Code:
<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54


Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm
Profile
New Member

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
badinsults wrote:
We really do need to update the website.


Also, I don't really know why you would think that you need permission to show videos of zsnes. At the very least zsnes is GPL, so there is nothing stopping you from profiting provided any source code changes remain publicly available.


Cool. Just wanted to make sure. The page says, "YouTube Partnership Program: Tutorial
What types of videos are acceptable for revenue sharing

The basic guidelines are simple: for a video to be eligible, you must have worldwide distribution rights to everything in the video, and it must abide by our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines.

Here are some specific examples of things that would make a video ineligible:

•Your video contains content that you didn't create or get permission from its creator to use, such as:
◦music
◦video images
◦photographs or artwork
◦live event
◦video game footage
◦any other copyrighted content
•Your video shows people from whom you did not get permission
•Your video has content that would be inappropriate for children. We limit the YouTube Partnership Program to videos that can be shown to all age groups.
We take our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines seriously, and so should you. Let us help you profit from your videos rather than take them off the site by making sure they conform to these guidelines.

If your video does not conform to these guidelines, it may be removed from the site."


ZSNES falls under the category of "any other copyrighted content". I didn't think it would be a problem. I just wanted to make sure and get written permission so that in the case that I get troll'd, I can pull out a hard copy and show that I am not showing anything that I don't have permission to use.

Thanks!!


Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:24 am
Posts: 812
Location: In your garden
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
You don't need permission from us to use ZSNES for your purposes on YouTube. Many people use ZSNES to capture game output and this is fine. We don't have any licensing on the output ZSNES produces since most of it is from a 3rd party. But if you want to give us money that's fine too. ;)

_________________
Watering ur plants.


Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:31 am
Profile
Buzzkill Gil

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm
Posts: 4259
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
ntr11023 wrote:
ZSNES falls under the category of "any other copyrighted content". I didn't think it would be a problem. I just wanted to make sure and get written permission so that in the case that I get troll'd, I can pull out a hard copy and show that I am not showing anything that I don't have permission to use.

Thanks!!

I'd be more worried about the game developers than the emulatorn developers, personally.

_________________
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Quote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.


KHDownloads


Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 am
Profile
New Member

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I'd be more worried about the game developers than the emulatorn developers, personally.


I am. I'm in the process of contacting them. And no, I didn't do anything stupid. All I mentioned was that I had a video that contained content from Super Mario World. That's all I said about it:)


Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:55 pm
Profile
Rookie

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:57 am
Posts: 17
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
congratulations on getting to be a partner, great way to make a little extra money in these hard economic times.


Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 am
Profile ICQ
New Member

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
Alvein wrote:
congratulations on getting to be a partner, great way to make a little extra money in these hard economic times.


Well, I have recieved indirect permission from Nintendo. They replied to me and said it's their policy to deny any requests, but they also said, "Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved. Thus, we encourage you to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization." That's indirectly giving permission under the equal enforcement act (I can't remember the exact name), which states that all laws must be enforced equally. Since there are other videos of videogames on YouTube that have ads on them that Nintendo has not saught legal action against, they couldn't seek legal action against my video. Google may take down the video and put a strike against my account, but all I have to do to get it back up and reverse the strike is call on the equal enforcement act. Because of the equal enforcement act, there is absolutely no way that removing my video or disabling ads will be anything but a disadvantage to Google.


Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:42 pm
Profile
Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:01 am
Posts: 1076
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
I'm curious. Is there a way to get partnership for the longer video length allowed, but not enable the ads?

_________________
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae


Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
New Member

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
paulguy wrote:
I'm curious. Is there a way to get partnership for the longer video length allowed, but not enable the ads?


You know how to bypass the 10-minute limit? How? I need to know to answer your question.


Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:30 pm
Profile
Zealot

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:03 am
Posts: 1325
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
A few months ago, they raised the time limit to 15 minutes.

Edit: before that, there was only one way to get that limit raised: by getting permission from Youtube. Of course, they only granted it to big companies that put TV and movies on Youtube...

There was a method they killed years ago, however. Used to, you could get a $10 or so Director's Account and get a time limit of like two hours or something. They removed the longer time limit back in 2007 or so, though.


Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:05 am
Profile
"Your thread will be crushed."
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 am
Posts: 1234
Location: Not in Winnipeg
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
You know how pretty much every video game publication now shows videos and previews of games? Yeah, none of them get permission either, because copyright law allows you to use a certain amount of coverage under fair use law.

_________________
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome


Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Locksmith of Hyrule
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:49 am
Posts: 3634
Location: 255.255.255.255
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
badinsults wrote:
You know how pretty much every video game publication now shows videos and previews of games? Yeah, none of them get permission either, because copyright law allows you to use a certain amount of coverage under fair use law.

Except sometimes YouTube will take down videos (not just VG stuff, I'm talking in general), even if they'd meet the fair use requirements.

_________________
Image
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.


Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
"Your thread will be crushed."
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 am
Posts: 1234
Location: Not in Winnipeg
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
That is because Google is pussy.

_________________
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome


Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:54 am
Profile WWW
New Member

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
adventure_of_link wrote:
Except sometimes YouTube will take down videos (not just VG stuff, I'm talking in general), even if they'd meet the fair use requirements.


If that happens, just file a counter-claim. It'll usually get your video back up.

I.S.T. wrote:
A few months ago, they raised the time limit to 15 minutes.

Edit: before that, there was only one way to get that limit raised: by getting permission from Youtube. Of course, they only granted it to big companies that put TV and movies on Youtube...

There was a method they killed years ago, however. Used to, you could get a $10 or so Director's Account and get a time limit of like two hours or something. They removed the longer time limit back in 2007 or so, though.


Idiots. I'd pay $10 to remove the time limit. But this is Google we're talking about, so why am I so surprised? But the time limit is now 15 minutes... I can take advantage of that.

badinsults wrote:
You know how pretty much every video game publication now shows videos and previews of games? Yeah, none of them get permission either, because copyright law allows you to use a certain amount of coverage under fair use law.


Interesting... Please explain.


Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Profile
"Your thread will be crushed."
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 am
Posts: 1234
Location: Not in Winnipeg
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
Copyright law

read about it


Perhaps you could use Google to find more information about it? I have no idea what country you live in.

_________________
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome


Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
New Member

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Re: Legal Permissions
badinsults wrote:
Copyright law

read about it


Perhaps you could use Google to find more information about it? I have no idea what country you live in.


Haha use Google... I'll take another look at it. It's just annoying having YouTube take down a video that took 12 hours to make.


Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:01 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.