Vista is out

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

xamenus wrote:I think it's my drivers.
May I ask what kind of Internet you have?

If it's dial-up, good luck trying to find a hardware modem, as the majority of modems are winmodems and won't work in Linux
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

adventure_of_link wrote:
xamenus wrote:I think it's my drivers.
May I ask what kind of Internet you have?
I've tried it on a LAN and via Wi-Fi on my laptop, and dial-up on my desktop.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Guess what? I just updated my Broadcom network adapter driver, and I successfully connected to the Internet under DSL-N! I can't believe I was stupid enough to not think of updating the driver sooner! x.x

I still have to get wireless working though. I think I'll need the ipw2200 driver for Linux. I'll also need to get something other than DSL-N, as I don't believe the kernel version it uses is supported by ipw2200.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

xamenus wrote:Guess what? I just updated my Broadcom network adapter driver, and I successfully connected to the Internet under DSL-N! I can't believe I was stupid enough to not think of updating the driver sooner! x.x

I still have to get wireless working though. I think I'll need the ipw2200 driver for Linux. I'll also need to get something other than DSL-N, as I don't believe the kernel version it uses is supported by ipw2200.
Good luck trying to get wireless working under Linux. Last I heard, it still needs work.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Remember, if there's two things Linux likes, it's:

1. broadband internet
and 2. ethernet cards
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

I see Microsoft is up to it's usual faggotry. Those prices are utter bull.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Deathlike2 wrote:
xamenus wrote:Guess what? I just updated my Broadcom network adapter driver, and I successfully connected to the Internet under DSL-N! I can't believe I was stupid enough to not think of updating the driver sooner! x.x

Good luck trying to get wireless working under Linux. Last I heard, it still needs work.
I just installed kubuntu on my laptop last weekend. It successfully recognized my Netgear WAB501 802.11a/b NIC and connected to my 802.11a AP without needing any configuration. Vista couldn't find a driver for it and couldn't use the XP driver or configuration utility, and XP throws a fit occasionally and requires me to reboot or pull and re-insert the NIC.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

AntoineWG wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

I just installed kubuntu on my laptop last weekend. It successfully recognized my Netgear WAB501 802.11a/b NIC and connected to my 802.11a AP without needing any configuration. Vista couldn't find a driver for it and couldn't use the XP driver or configuration utility, and XP throws a fit occasionally and requires me to reboot or pull and re-insert the NIC.
That's impressive.. though Vista driver support will exist when people do get their hands on the cds... but still cool nonetheless.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I'm not really betting on any first-party driver support for a 2 and a half year old and somewhat obscure NIC.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ah, that does suck. Obscurity and driver support makes it all craptacular.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

It doesn't really bother me. I'm more likely to buy a new laptop with vista on it than I am to buy a new NIC and vista. I probably could have found drivers or got the XP drivers to work, but my ethernet and audio didn't work on vista either, and they're far more common hardware.