So Apparently solar Roads might be a thing

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

megamanzer0
Regular

So Apparently solar Roads might be a thing

Post by megamanzer0 »

class:Trolololo
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: So Apparently solar Roads might be a thing

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I thought this was about roads to the stars. Then I clicked the link, and was rewarded with old news but realistic tech instead of LSD-fueled hallucinations.

I'm actually kind of disappointed.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Wonder what happens when an earthquake comes and buttrapes your electricity-generating roads in the face.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

I would imagine that it would only affect the damaged section as they are modular hexagonal panels. As a side note they have raised almost 1.5 million dollars so far.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

megamanzer0 wrote:I would imagine that it would only affect the damaged section as they are modular hexagonal panels. As a side note they have raised almost 1.5 million dollars so far.
They ARE modular, but they still require physical intetconnects of power and data transmission.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

well the way I see it they would need sub station every couple miles to regulate the energy levels. this is just me pulling shit from my ass but im thinking that since each point in the circuit is creating its own energy damaged panels wont be an issue they would just need to be replaced.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

megamanzer0 wrote:well the way I see it they would need sub station every couple miles to regulate the energy levels. this is just me pulling shit from my ass but im thinking that since each point in the circuit is creating its own energy damaged panels wont be an issue they would just need to be replaced.
The theory is that they're putting their excess power back into the electrical grid. That's going to require a physical connection to something. Broken tiles will break that physical connection.

And they won't be using wireless communications for their data link, since dear lord that'd saturate fast. So they have wired data links. Broken tiles will also break those data links.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

the wire is in the side of the road but I get the point an earthquake will destroy that too. well I hope they figure something out. or I guess just not build them along fault lines.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hmm... they don't really cover the issue, but they chose some nice pics at least.

Now for the nightmare scenario: earthquake -> car pileup -> gasoil on fire -> tidal wave -> game over.
Electrically charged puddles and burning fuel splashes elsewhere.
It largely depends how intense the generated current is, so if they tune it right (and the quake doesn't fuck with that) it shouldn't be that bad...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

megamanzer0 wrote:the wire is in the side of the road but I get the point an earthquake will destroy that too. well I hope they figure something out. or I guess just not build them along fault lines.
How does a tile in the middle of the road connect to a cable on the side of the road?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

dude you need to learn to electricity. all you need is a contact surface you don't need physical wires running underneath the roadways.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

megamanzer0 wrote:dude you need to learn to electricity. all you need is a contact surface you don't need physical wires running underneath the roadways.
*sigh*

My POINT is that current and data will get from inner tiles to the bus cable along the edge of the roadway by GOING THROUGH OTHER TILES. If the tiles between them are broken, the circuit is broken.The plan doubtless calls for some redundancy and pathfinding, but enough damaged tiles WILL bring the network segment down.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

And my point is since each tile is creating energy it doesn't have to break the circuit and it also doesn't have to be a monolith it can be broken up into multiple ennergy producing sections that way if some of the tiles are damaged it will only affect a portion of the grid and not the entire thing.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

And a major disaster like we were talking about would take out many segments at once.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

wait a minute what exactly is your major concern? in your mind what would be the repercussions of "a major disaster" as you put it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Wonder what happens when an earthquake comes and buttrapes your electricity-generating roads in the face.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

Oh so you are just wondering what happens. I guess you find my explanations lacking then? I mean I don't think I can explain it any clearer. the damaged section stops working but because each panel is creating its own energy the elecrical grid still functions.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

megamanzer0 wrote:Oh so you are just wondering what happens. I guess you find my explanations lacking then? I mean I don't think I can explain it any clearer. the damaged section stops working but because each panel is creating its own energy the elecrical grid still functions.
I think your explanations work great for small-scale damage, like if a propane tank blows up in the street(shit happens).
I think there are bigger concerns for widespread destruction, like a massive loss of electrical supply for the city and a simultaneous loss of street signage.

I think the expression is "can't see the forest for the trees"?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

I can understand your concern but I guess I just cant imagine that with the jumble of roads we have that one fault line shifting would be able to destroy them all. I mean at that point you are talking about an apocalypse. and that would tend to affect a regular power grid as well. and in an event like that downed power lines would make it even more dangerous. meh I just don't see this as too much of an issue since earthquakes don't happen everywhere. but there are sink holes and other monopolizes I guess. but still can't see it haveing a substantial impact on energy production.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

megamanzer0 wrote:I can understand your concern but I guess I just cant imagine that with the jumble of roads we have that one fault line shifting would be able to destroy them all. I mean at that point you are talking about an apocalypse.
https://www.google.com/search?q=earthqu ... 0&tbm=isch

And this is with the road being paved with asphalt instead of millions of inflexible electronics modules.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

the red line represents a fault line some roads will be destroyed lots more will not even be touched the energy grid will be preserved. from the sound of your last post I guess you were just saying that an earth quake will destroy a solar roadway just as easily as an asphalt one? if that was your only point then I whole heartedly agree.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

megamanzer0 wrote:Image

the red line represents a fault line some roads will be destroyed lots more will not even be touched the energy grid will be preserved. from the sound of your last post I guess you were just saying that an earth quake will destroy a solar roadway just as easily as an asphalt one? if that was your only point then I whole heartedly agree.
A. Damage in an earthquake is not restricted to objects sitting directly atop a fault.

B. My point was that damage to a computerized roadway that generates electricity is more difficult to repair and has larger implications for the city the road services than a road that just has cars on it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

assuming that the companies that manage the grid aren't completely stupid, road-generated solar will always be treated as high risk (car accidents happen regularly and will disrupt service). i have reasonable faith that between a competent civil engineering firm and electrical engineering firm, a solution that results in a net positive can be designed.

however, my faith in that solution being reasonably cost-effective is quite a bit shakier.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

lots of critiques by some one smarter than me looks like this is a non starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H901KdX ... e=youtu.be

they have raised almost 2 million btw :x
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Good arguments. The cost alone makes it a no-go, regardless any other issue.
皆黙って俺について来い!!