I need saving help

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Snackhat123

I need saving help

Post by Snackhat123 »

First of all, I'm sure you guys get these constantly, and I am sorry, but I need help.

I was playing Earthbound yesterday and saved in game (go to phone booth). I came back later and found nothing saved. Realizing I had to save by the emulator's way, I did this today. Later I booted it up again, clicked on the arrow leading to saves, and found "Earthbound". I clicked it and nothing happened. I then moved my emulator to the desktop (it was in "My Documents") and rebooted it. I found EVERY SAVE deleted and the emulator could not find my SNES folder.

I'm stumped. please help!
Snackhat123

Post by Snackhat123 »

Bump
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

ZSNES can't find your saves if you move the emulator somewhere else and do not edit ZSNES' paths to reflect the change. Check Config --> Paths or edit zsnesw.cfg and make sure that ZSNES looks for saves in the right place.

Also, either manually navigate to the right directory where your games are or edit zsnesw.cfg and make sure that the rompath is correct.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Furthermore, using in-game saves DOES work. You do NOT need to use save states instead of in-game saves, and relying exclusively on save states is dangerous.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
DBzsnes10

Post by DBzsnes10 »

I really can't figure out saving with zsnes. My controls I set are never saved when i come back if the program has been closed, same for game saves (in game AND save states) Is there a setting somewhere i have to change so that things don't reset from closing the program? I've explored all the options with Zsnes open. Please help!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm not sure why you are bumping this thread, but try Misc->Save Cfg.

If that's not working, it's probably because you don't have full read/write permission for the folder ZSNES is in.

For saves or savestates, make sure you define a save directory that has full read/write permissions. Otherwise, your issues will persist.

For the sake of saying the obvious, make sure you are not running ZSNES from the zip file it comes in. That would cause the same kinds of issues, except in a more dumb fashion.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Or, try the simpler approach of running it as an administrator.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:For the sake of saying the obvious, make sure you are not running ZSNES from the zip file it comes in. That would cause the same kinds of issues, except in a more dumb fashion.
Or from a CD... but yeah, transparent archive support in recent winders is a real pain when left to the clueless.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

if a user unpacks zsnes in program files or program files (x86) under vista or 7, all config files etc will be read-only. issue is due to windows enforcing "programs shouldn't be writing to Program Files, settings should be in registry or %appdata%".

workarounds:
1. explicitly run zsnes as administrator each time by right-clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator" or by selecting the same option in the app's shortcut.
2. install zsnes elsewhere, such as c:\emulators\zsnes.

given that the first workaround requires far more effort and is going to go over the heads of most users, i recommend option 2.

sticky for great justice?

<Justice> maybe if more similar reports flood in.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I don't think it needs a sticky. If it becomes a common complaint, we can add it to the FAQs.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome