(old) ZMV to AVI video conversion [[archive me]]

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Welcome to page 18.

To record a video you need one of the latest work in progress builds of ZSNES. Get them here: http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/

You will need a copy of mencoder. For Windows users, I recommend getting mencoder here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
Place mencoder.exe in the same location as zsnesw.exe, you do not need any codecs or other movie programs installed.
Linux users, having mencoder in your path is fine.

If you want to compress the outputted audio, or compress it before it goes into the video as opposed to during, you will need a copy of LAME.
If you use Windows, you must get LAME from here: http://geocities.com/joecool22us/lame.zip
Any other copy of LAME for Windows will not work due to a bug in LAME.

Before you are able to dump an AVI, you must have recorded a movie first, it converts movies, it does not just dump video on the fly.

To play back movies, you'll either need the proper codecs or a video player with built in decoding of the video mode you selected.
I recommend getting mplayer which decodes anything created with mencoder. For Windows, you can get mplayer here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php You can download the GUI version.

Advanced users can edit zmovie.cfg and tweak the settings if they want, and even use something other than mencoder and LAME as long as it supports encoding via stdin and you set it up properly.

________

Just pick the mencoder build that autooptimizes for your CPU.

If you haven't read the movie FAQ sticky or the top of this post, all the info is provided there. You need mencoder, and LAME if you want compressed audio as an option.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Oni-Neoxes

Post by Oni-Neoxes »

but whenever i download a mencoder,any version,it doesn't have the .exe extension.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Why would you assume these files would come uncompressed?

Get 7-Zip or something that can extract 7z files.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Oni-Neoxes

Post by Oni-Neoxes »

okay ;-; but which mencoder should I get?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I already said, the one that auto-optimizes for your CPU (the rtm version, as the website tells you what that version does).
Oni-Neoxes

Post by Oni-Neoxes »

okay,i got the .exe extension,put it where the zsnesw.exe is but when i made th emovie,it is still the same extension.pretty much,it did nothing.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Oni-Neoxes wrote:okay,i got the .exe extension,put it where the zsnesw.exe is but when i made th emovie,it is still the same extension.pretty much,it did nothing.
Making the movie doesn't mean it automatically gets dumped. There is another tab in the movie section that is exclusively for dumping.
Oni-Neoxes

Post by Oni-Neoxes »

okay, I just finished downloading Lame because when I start dumping,it says Lame is missing.is this all I need?

EDIT: it still says LAME is missing,i put it in the same folder as ZSNESW.exe.
Oni-Neoxes

Post by Oni-Neoxes »

Now have the AVI file and I am now downloading the MPlayer to play back,hopefully it works.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

you need the "Lame" from the first post on every page in this thread...
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Prizm

Post by Prizm »

Hi guys,

How do I change the output resolution of the AVI? I've checked the CFG file, but I can't figure it out. I'd like at least twice the resolution so I can dump it into Premiere. Someone asked this a couple pages back, but I haven't seen a response yet.

thanks
Prizm
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Try AviSynth or VirtualDubMod.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You should consult the mencoder docs on the command line parameters and you also should look in zmovie.cfg to adding them in.
Prizm

Post by Prizm »

Deathlike2 wrote:You should consult the mencoder docs on the command line parameters and you also should look in zmovie.cfg to adding them in.
Thanks, I'm going through it, although it's not very straight forward. I tried previously to change this line in zmovie.cfg:
format=0x42475218:w=256:h=224:size=172032:fps=$md_video_rate"

I tried doubling the resolution and the 'size', but it did nothing. Just made the video the same small size. Hasn't someone done this before?

thanks
Prizm
AtmaIllumina

Post by AtmaIllumina »

I'm a new member so go easy on me...
I followed the instructions and I made a video but when I use media player classic, sometimes the sound goes farther than it's supposed to be. However, whenever I move the locater to another area or back to the beginning, the problem suddenly fixes itself. What does this mean? If I upload this on youtube, will this problem still occur?
AtmaIllumina

Post by AtmaIllumina »

Oh yea...one more thing! How do I split the video into two sections? My video is too long so I wish to make two sections out of it.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Try VirtualDubMod.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
AtmaIllumina

Post by AtmaIllumina »

Where can I get that?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Try Google.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
ekkelito

Post by ekkelito »

I've looked over the options to convert zmv to avi, which works great with default settings. However, did anyone notice that 256x224 equals to an aspect ratio of 8:7 ? Or, 4:3.5?
I tried changing a bit in zmovie.cfg to a more proper resolution, but it messed up the entire video output.

Code: Select all

md_raw="-demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo format=0x42475218:w=320:h=240:size=230400:fps=$md_video_rate"
I'm not sure if I made a mistake in this line. Seems the size equals to w*h*3...
The video turns out all crazy.

Sure, I can just re-encode a 256x224 video with an AviSynth script (to a true 4:3 aspect ratio...), but it'll reduce quality. Therefore I thought that maybe ZSNES can do it directly?
I bet it's just some line you can use with mencoder that I missed, I'm sure of it...

Maybe I should try 256x192...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Maybe it's because that res is common for the SNES? Try researching about it before posting about it.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

In an ideal world, rescaling is done by the output device only... (e.g. YouTube videos). You can select the pixel ratio in Media Player Classic and VLC, for example.

Otherwise you just have to add that filter.

Related: link
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Does anyone read the MEncoder documentation?
You can set both aspect ratios and any kind of scaling and stretching in the output.

But don't modify the INPUT to MEncoder. No matter what you tell it, ZSNES will always send MEncoder the same data.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Lifter »

Ok, I'm having a hard time trying to make it work xD
mencoder.exe and Lame are in the same folder as zsnes.exe
But still, when I try to dump the videos, it doesn't create any file (just If I choose "Raw Video" dump, that creates a bin file that I just cant deal with)
If I try XVID or X264 and click on START, the movie will play normally (without slowdowns) and after it ends the game will keep playing, like if I actually playbacked the movie without dumping it.

Then two things will happen:

1. If I choosed to dump Audio, LAME will pop out and display glitchy graphics in the screen, bugging everything and crashing ZSNEA.

2. If I didn't choose to dump audio, then after the movie ends the game will continue playing, I'm able to play it but I cant access ZSNES Menu anymore so I have to close it.

In both options, no file is created.

Sooo, anyone knows what could be going on?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

did you download the special version of lame that is recommended at the top of every page in this thread?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64