(old) ZMV to AVI video conversion [[archive me]]

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

Welcome to page 19.

To record a video you need one of the latest work in progress builds of ZSNES. Get them here: http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/

You will need a copy of mencoder. For Windows users, I recommend getting mencoder here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
Place mencoder.exe in the same location as zsnesw.exe, you do not need any codecs or other movie programs installed.
Linux users, having mencoder in your path is fine.

If you want to compress the outputted audio, or compress it before it goes into the video as opposed to during, you will need a copy of LAME.
If you use Windows, you must get LAME from here: http://geocities.com/joecool22us/lame.zip
Any other copy of LAME for Windows will not work due to a bug in LAME.

Before you are able to dump an AVI, you must have recorded a movie first, it converts movies, it does not just dump video on the fly.

To play back movies, you'll either need the proper codecs or a video player with built in decoding of the video mode you selected.
I recommend getting mplayer which decodes anything created with mencoder. For Windows, you can get mplayer here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php You can download the GUI version.

Advanced users can edit zmovie.cfg and tweak the settings if they want, and even use something other than mencoder and LAME as long as it supports encoding via stdin and you set it up properly.

________
Can the quality of the xvid output be adjusted? All the movies I create are looking like they were recorded using a 2-head Audiovox VCR from 1985.
dissociative
Rookie

Post by dissociative »

Can the quality of the xvid output be adjusted? All the movies I create are looking like they were recorded using a 2-head Audiovox VCR from 1985.
look at the mplayer documentation

this should be for "-ovc xvid" http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/me ... e-settings

and this one is for "-ovc lavc" http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/me ... e-settings

also there's an unavoidable quality loss with respect of the zsnes real-time graphics because the zmv2avi conversion does a lossy colorspace conversion (RGB to YV12/BGR to YV12 and so) thats needed when encoding to any lossy video codec such as Xvid and H.264
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

Thanks for the help :)

All this would be much simpler though if zsnes was configured to use whatever encoder the user has installed on the OS. Nestopia's current method works pretty well. Perhaps this will change in time.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

denzilla wrote:Thanks for the help :)

All this would be much simpler though if zsnes was configured to use whatever encoder the user has installed on the OS. Nestopia's current method works pretty well. Perhaps this will change in time.
It can, but you have to figure out zmovie.cfg first.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

Wouldn't it be simpler to just configure it that way from the start? From a support perspective, it would seem like the way to go. The user would only need to select the encoder type from within Zsnes and if it not there, they get an error telling them the selected encoder isn't installed on the host OS.
Alexander_Q

Post by Alexander_Q »

I tried using 1.51 to record video, but when I press the record button nothing happens, the status remains inactive. Has recording been taken out in .151?

I had to go back to 1.43 and recording and dumping work fine, but 1.43 is missing other options I want like vsync.

What's the story with recording in 1.51? Everything I read tells me it should work fine.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You have to use one of the more recent mencoder SVN builds... check the topmost post for that info.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Alexander_Q wrote:I tried using 1.51 to record video, but when I press the record button nothing happens, the status remains inactive. Has recording been taken out in .151?

I had to go back to 1.43 and recording and dumping work fine, but 1.43 is missing other options I want like vsync.

What's the story with recording in 1.51? Everything I read tells me it should work fine.
There is no 1.43.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Alexander_Q

Post by Alexander_Q »

Yes there is. One of the developers provided the link in a thread about zSnes's video capabilities.

Nevermind. I have solved my problem.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Alexander_Q wrote:Yes there is. One of the developers provided the link in a thread about zSnes's video capabilities.

Nevermind. I have solved my problem.
That's just a WIP or work in progress version. Please read it carefully next time.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
azuma

Post by azuma »

Hi there! I have just converted a few movies from the zsnes movie file to avi and then I tried to import them into Adobe Premiere and it is saying it is unable to import it because of the type of compression used in the file :S does anyone know how to fix this because this was the main reason for making movies in the zsnes so I could make nice gaming movies out of them!

If someone could please help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :D
Cauchy

Post by Cauchy »

Boy, this feels like a weird thing to have to ask.

edgeemu.com has expired as of 12/31/07 (or so says the page I'm redirected to when I visit nsrt.edgeemu.com). As such, I can't get the fixed version of LAME to encode audio from there. Where else might I find it?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

The domain has already been updated, your ISP is behind.

You can bypass your ISP's DNS if you add this to your hosts file:

Code: Select all

69.50.240.226 nsrt.edgeemu.com
On Windows XP, the hosts file is located at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or wherever you installed Windows to.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by adventure_of_link »

and in linux and bsd, it's in /etc/hosts

of course you will need to seperate the IP and host by a tab instead of a space
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

adventure_of_link wrote: of course you will need to seperate the IP and host by a tab instead of a space
What?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Cauchy »

Ah, thank you so much!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

azuma wrote:Hi there! I have just converted a few movies from the zsnes movie file to avi and then I tried to import them into Adobe Premiere and it is saying it is unable to import it because of the type of compression used in the file :S does anyone know how to fix this because this was the main reason for making movies in the zsnes so I could make nice gaming movies out of them!

If someone could please help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :D
You should be able to open it in VirtualDubMod.

Btw. get the k-Lite codec pack (or another one).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Nach wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote: of course you will need to seperate the IP and host by a tab instead of a space
What?
Huh. that must've been when I was in gentoo, sorry. I forgot they changed the format since then

disregard that I am stupid
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nightshade3D

Post by Nightshade3D »

Cauchy wrote:Boy, this feels like a weird thing to have to ask.

edgeemu.com has expired as of 12/31/07 (or so says the page I'm redirected to when I visit nsrt.edgeemu.com). As such, I can't get the fixed version of LAME to encode audio from there. Where else might I find it?
Same question. I can't find a version of LAME that will work with windows. That link is dead.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Nightshade3D wrote:

Same question. I can't find a version of LAME that will work with windows. That link is dead.
If you read the posts between yours and the one you quoted, it tells you how to make the link work.

Post by Nightshade3D »

Nach wrote:
Nightshade3D wrote:

If you read the posts between yours and the one you quoted, it tells you how to make the link work.
Thank you. I had to do more researching since I didn't even know what it ment to add a host IP to my host file. >.> I figured it out, though. Thanks.
dissociative
Rookie

Post by dissociative »

dissociative wrote:
look at the mplayer documentation

this should be for "-ovc xvid" http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/me ... e-settings

and this one is for "-ovc lavc" http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/me ... e-settings

also there's an unavoidable quality loss with respect of the zsnes real-time graphics because the zmv2avi conversion does a lossy colorspace conversion (RGB to YV12/BGR to YV12 and so) thats needed when encoding to any lossy video codec such as Xvid and H.264
well I learned that XviD isnt true lossless, that's because the movies that you create with XviD dont look so good, use x264 or FFV1 if you want true lossless quality zsnes movies but these video codecs should be harder to manipulate with some applications like virtualdub, also these settings presented in the MPlayer manual are valid only for lossy encoding, they are useless for lossless encoding
Master Knight DH

Post by Master Knight DH »

The link to the LAME fix isn't working.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nach wrote:You add
69.50.240.226 nsrt.edgeemu.com
To your hosts file, at this point you may need to reset your browser, then you navigate to http://nsrt.edgeemu.com, this is not complicated.
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

I am Edgar. I was wondering which programs everyone uses to edit their movies and also do you need to change the compression or anything before or after editing?

I would appreciate any help you can give