Snes controller progress:

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

FirebrandX wrote:Anyway, I'm hoping Grin can set me up with some snapshots of his pad.
I have reserved a photo shooting session for tomorrow at about this hour.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

another factor is our monitors, I just got home and at school it looked slightly lighter, and at home slightly darker. for those of you who are judging shades, make sure to compare photos of the real thing ON THE SAME MONITOR that you look at this recreation.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Wow, this has improved a lot since the last time I checked. I have no doubt now that it will be for all intents and purposes perfect when you're done with it. Excellent job.

Edit: by the way, do you intend to model the internals? I'd be happy to take my pad apart and upload some pictures.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Another update. The new pic is my first test with Mental Ray rendering. I simulated a white desktop with lamp. I also changed the material on the color buttons to a solution designed specifically for plastics, so they should look a little more realistic.

For the perspective shot on the white desk, I rotated the camera slightly upward so you can see just a litte bit of the underside depth. This causes the top shoulder buttons to be a little more obstructed from view, but I felt the tradeoff was worth it for the depth value.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

the grey plastics and rubber look much better with the lighting. The color buttons look a little diff but that could just be the kind of lighting and it would be that way in real life. Very nice, the dpad issues are completely resolved by the looks of it but I'm sure you'll double check when you get the real pad.

VERY nice. still looking at those color buttons.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

FirebrandX wrote:I'm in agreement with byuu in that the US controller sucks ass. I like to pretend the Euro controller is the official SNES one ;)
:'(
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

my fav is the japanese one, the super nintendo font is kinda lame compared to the

nintendo
super famicom

one, but oh well. you can't win em all
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

That's pretty much an exact replica now. Very nice.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:I'm in agreement with byuu in that the US controller sucks ass. I like to pretend the Euro controller is the official SNES one ;)
He's right, you know. The American SNES was just a god-awful design, probably gave away at least a million sales to Sega just by being that ugly. And how is it that Europe got the better one? Those PAL weenies censored the "Ninja" out of "Ninja Turtles." They should have gotten the stupid boxy purple one with yellowing plastic.

Also, Famicom is a better name than "Nintendo Entertainment System," the long, generic piece of crap name that they gave us. Rumor has it that Nintendo wanted to call the Nintendo 64 the "Super Duper Nintendo Entertainment System," but it was so fucking long at that point that the stupidity of continuing the scheme became obvious.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I'm sure you were joking, but they were actually gonna call it the Ultra 64, which is not that great but better than just "nintendo" 64. In fact the 64 was lame too, I'd have taken Ultra Famicom any day.

I totally agree on the "nintendo entertainment system" though, LAME, and a crappy font. Whoever made the US SNES had no concept of cool whatsoever.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

My favorite ugly part of the whole US SNES look was the wavy fringe on the botton of the console deck. Who did they get to design the thing? Christopher Lowell??
NES NTSC palette file:

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

don't you know? the American public of the 1990's didn't like class, they wouldn't by anything with any style. You have to make it look cheap, then they'll come in droves. GIVVIE-ME-PLASTIC-PRUPLE-TOY
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Panzer88 wrote:I'm sure you were joking, but they were actually gonna call it the Ultra 64, which is not that great but better than just "nintendo" 64. In fact the 64 was lame too, I'd have taken Ultra Famicom any day.
Yes, I was being facetious. But the amazing thing about all of it is that the existing name, design, and logo were fine, and for whatever reason they waste all this money creating localized versions that are 10x worse. It happens in the names of games, too, like the "sequel skip" phenomena for which FF is infamous. I mean, either somebody has a vendetta against uniformity or some marketing hack needs to justify their paycheck.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

FitzRoy wrote:That's pretty much an exact replica now. Very nice.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
He's right, you know. The American SNES was just a god-awful design, probably gave away at least a million sales to Sega just by being that ugly.
I'm just talking about the controller.

The US one is more subdued. It exudes class.
And I loved the mix of concave and convex buttons.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

small update:

Changed to a wooden desktop. Better contrast. Pretty much waiting on my controller to come in the mail (or some new pics from Grin) before I can get serious on the d-pad.
NES NTSC palette file:

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

can I have a concave/convex color controller? would be sweet. I still would have picked dark grey, black, red, or anything but purple for the buttons, but then again, what the hell do I know :)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Panzer88 wrote:can I have a concave/convex color controller? would be sweet. I still would have picked dark grey, black, red, or anything but purple for the buttons, but then again, what the hell do I know :)
Purple isn't necessarily bad. The shade they used went well with the grays of the controller body.

I'll admit that the console itself looks ugly(though I don't think it's as ugly as others make it to be, it IS among the uglier systems in existence).
The Super Advantage is a lot less ugly, despite being styled similarly. I think it's because the purple "sliders" don't dominate the design so heavily.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

well sure, you can't argue taste, I don't mind purple but like it more saturated. I agree to disagree and stop my evil derailing of this glorious thread.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Nice angled perspective,but now the whole render looks extremely washed out :(
(too much lighting)
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

The ultimate SNES controller - the Euro pad with two extra buttons colored like the US pad. All buttons arranged in a 6-button configuration like the ASCII fighting pad.

I think I've seen such a pad in a SNES commercial (from Nintendo???)

The L shoulder button is a waste.I'd rather have two R buttons.You wouldn't like to use the L button when playing Street Fighter-style games.It's only useful for playing pinball simulations and accessing menus :)
Last edited by kick on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

the ultimate hacker pad

kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Add some gyroscopes and you have a nice 'steering wheel'. Perfect for Moto Racer / Moto GP fans :)
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

kick wrote:Nice angled perspective,but now the whole render looks extremely washed out :(
(too much lighting)
Not to worry, this is just my first test render with the new lighting. I'll be correcting the lighting as I go along after getting my real controller in the mail.
NES NTSC palette file:

FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Ok, I went back to the default render for now. I wont go back to the mental ray until I get better using it (my apologies for that, Kick).

However, I did keep the perspective angle and wooden desktop. I like those.
NES NTSC palette file:

gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

I made jello in 3DS max but I can't get the materials right :V

You have such good skills
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

gllt wrote:I made jello in 3DS max but I can't get the materials right :V

You have such good skills