IPS patching is destroying my ROM.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Kasuke

IPS patching is destroying my ROM.

Post by Kasuke »

I'm trying to play a Super Mario World ROM hack, so I'm following the steps as necessary; download a clean ROM, use Lunar IPS to patch the ROM with the IPS file from the ROM hack, and then run it in the newest version of Zsnes.
This worked once for me. I got one ROM hack to work. When I tried to run another patched ROM file, it gave me the "BAD ROM" message on the bottom of the screen. Before I patched the ROM file, I tested to make sure it was fine, and it was. I tried to run the other patched ROM file, and it still works. I looked on the forums here, and read about trying to remove the header from the IPS file. I did this, but it hasn't helped at all. Now whenever I patch the .smc file, zsnes tells me the file is invalid.

I've stressed all of my options; redownloading a new ROM everytime, trying a new IPS file, redownloading Lunar IPS, redownloading zsnes. I don't know what to do at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

That's normal. What's happening is zsnes is checking the game's checksum, to see if it's valid or not. The IPS alters the game, and makes the checksum no longer valid.

It's a non-issue. The game will work fine.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

What I.S.T. is saying is correct.

The BAD ROM info assumes that you are using an original and unmodified version of the game (although, some hacks/translations will correct the checksum).

If you compare the checksums between a soft-patched version and hard-patched version... when they are the same, it should be a non-issue. There are a few cases where there can be a discrepency... (IPS patch expects header and removes it as part of the patching process, or IPS patch expecting no header and adds one as part of the patching)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Kasuke

Post by Kasuke »

I see...
It's good to hear it's normal. However, when I run the game it's just a black screen. Nothing happens no matter how long I wait. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, thanks for the fast replies. :o
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

That is a separate issue.

Have you looked up to see if the ROM hack needs a header or not on the rom you apply it to? Also, are you sure you have the exact rom it needs?
Kasuke

Post by Kasuke »

I have tried searching to see if it needs a header or not, but I wasn't able to find anything. It seems that removing the header only causes problems though, so I'm assuming it needs one...
Also, I'm certain that I have the right ROM required to play the hack.

Apparently I was being stupid, and I didn't name the .ips and .scm file the same, but even after I did that the game was still a black screen. The "BAD ROM" thing went away, though.

Any other info I can give you to try to resolve this?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

What's the hack? I could test it out.
Kasuke

Post by Kasuke »

SMW2+3: The Essence Star, version 1.2. (Yeah, it's a demo...which might be why it's not working, but I've looked around and it seems that other people are doing fine with this version.)

Here's a link. http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showhack&id=1851
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Hmm. in ZSNES 1.51, it gets all the way up to the picking the save file screen. I start a new game, a screen of text appears and it freezes. Furthermore, I believe the text hasn't even fully appeared yet: It's color is a dimmed white.

I've tried snes9x 1.43 as well, same result. a TASing version, but still. I'm gonna try removing the header from the version i'm using(1.0 U !), and if that fails hard patch it and try it in bsnes.

Edit: Results in the problem you have, a completely black screen. I'm gonna readd the header, hard patch it and try it in bsnes. if that fails, the author used a different rom than 1.0 U !.

Edit2: Yup, different rom, and the romhacker was too stupid to realize or point it out. -_-

I'd ask around for what version is needed, and see if you can talk him into adding which version is needed for the hack to work in the readme.
Kasuke

Post by Kasuke »

Awesome, thank you very much for the help!

I'll make sure to ask him.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

No problem, glad I could help. :)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

AFAIK, the only known SMW2 hacks use the US 1.0 revision of the game...

The worse case scenario is that the romhacker is basing their hack of the interleaved version of the game... (which is generally not a good idea)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

it's a SMW hack, actually.