Mouse Activation on "Child Friendly" PC

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Eep

Mouse Activation on "Child Friendly" PC

Post by Eep »

Hi all. I'm building a PC for my young niece and nephew that's completely locked down so they can't change anything. I've got ZSNES set up on it so the GUI isn't accessible at all. All keyboard shortcuts disabled except for the ESC key which now closes the emulator, and space to toggle control inputs. Games are loaded from a shortcut icon, and all this is working fine

However, I'm having trouble with mouse based games like Lemmings 2 and Mario Paint - the mouse just doesn't work. I read, that because the GUI isn't loaded first and custom inputs are not activated, and that a future update will fix this.

Is there any news on this? If not, is there a workaround I can use that doesn't involve the kids having to access ZSNES's menus?

Thanks
dfreer
Lurker

Re: Mouse Activation on "Child Friendly" PC

Post by dfreer »

You definitely don't want those kids to be able to reach ZSNES in-gui web browser, why they might do a google search for the Jonas brothers or *gasp* Miley Cyrus!

And I heard she was a filthy whore.
Eep

Post by Eep »

It's not a case of safety or anything. It's just so I don't have to keep telling them how to load a different program and all that
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

You can use NSRT to modify the ROM so that mouse support is enabled without configuring anything in ZSNES.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
byuu

Post by byuu »

They don't want to play their uncle's antique cartridge games any more than you wanted to listen to your grandpa's vinyl collection. Stop being a cheapskate and get them a Wii :P

And no, I've never tricked my nephews into playing Mega Man X2 instead of their PS3 before ...
Eep

Post by Eep »

snkcube wrote:You can use NSRT to modify the ROM so that mouse support is enabled without configuring anything in ZSNES.
Thanks. AI already patched the games, and ZSNES created its input configs for them, but still no luck - if I access the menus it'll show the mouse is selected, but running from a command line doesn't activate it
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Which version of ZSNES are you using? What were the steps you did on patching the games?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Eep

Post by Eep »

It's 1.51. NSRT worked on the ROMs, -addnsrt and -addspec and ZSNES loads up the custom controls if you load the ROMs via the menus like it should, but not if you use the command line/shortcut to open
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Eep wrote:Is there any news on this? If not, is there a workaround I can use that doesn't involve the kids having to access ZSNES's menus?
unfortunately, the answer to both questions is currently "no."
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Eep

Post by Eep »

odditude wrote:
Eep wrote:Is there any news on this? If not, is there a workaround I can use that doesn't involve the kids having to access ZSNES's menus?
unfortunately, the answer to both questions is currently "no."
Was afraid as such, but it's no big deal to me. Thanks
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

byuu wrote:They don't want to play their uncle's antique cartridge games any more than you wanted to listen to your grandpa's vinyl collection. Stop being a cheapskate and get them a Wii :P
Actually, the first thing my cousin's four years old kid wants to do when they're over is to play games on my SNES :P
AdSalusNonAptus

Post by AdSalusNonAptus »

Hello,
did a forum search but couldn't find any thread more related to my ... issue than this one.
I set up a configuration for the same reasons as the thread starter, using direct links to ROMS, game specific configs etc and everything works as intended mostly.
However, two of the linked games are mouse games. The emulator chooses the correct setting as stated in the game specific config, but the mouse just plain doesn't react until you either go into the GUI by pressing ESC or F1 and go directly back to the game. I can only assume that maybe its not quite trapping the mouse correctly until the application recieves a keypress or whatever...? I'm quite lost. :|
odditude

Post by odditude »

there have been no new releases of ZSNES since the original post; the issue remains. the workaround, as you noted, is to enter and exit the GUI.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

In other news, Miley Cyrus is still a filthy whore.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:In other news, Miley Cyrus is still a filthy whore.
but she's *legal* now.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It's stuff like that that makes you feel old.

Holy fuck.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54