Netplay with users list/chat

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

hacebe

Netplay with users list/chat

Post by hacebe »

Hello guys,

I'm a fan of Zsnes, for me the best Super Nintendo Emulator at all. I've been playing games through netplay with some friends and had no problems. I was thinking if we could have a "Lobby" section which would allow players to chat and set up a netplay match w/o any worries (Ip, port forwarding, etc). It would work just as Kaillera works on other emulators.

I am able to try to code it myself, but i'll need some guidance about the source code if it interests anyone here.

Thank you and sorry if i did smth wrong posting this. :D
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Netplay with users list/chat

Post by grinvader »

Not really easy in any regard. Old versions that still have netplay code require very old compilers and libs to build.
Newer versions don't have netplay, so you'd have to handle everything (plus it would still desync). They don't build easily either due to so many changes in the various libs used. -_-;
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

You should look at RetroArch, that's a multi-system emulator available for multiple operating systems and platforms, and it also has a decent stab at netplay. Now if only someone could contribute a chat system to it. Maybe something based off an IRC server, perhaps.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Well, if any of these programs can be set up for a networked game from the command line, You could probably have some sort of generic lobby system with configurable programs, or even make specific programs for them externally that handles lobbies and chat, and when yous go to play, it can just have the one person host and another connect. Would be nice if it was built in to the emulators, but if it's impractical or impossible or just not likely due to project priorities, an external utility isn't an awful compromise.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
hacebe

Post by hacebe »

Not really easy in any regard. Old versions that still have netplay code require very old compilers and libs to build.
Newer versions don't have netplay, so you'd have to handle everything (plus it would still desync). They don't build easily either due to so many changes in the various libs used. -_-
Yeah, thinking of the libs, it may not be something feasible to achieve. I may look the old source code to see what can be done.
Well, if any of these programs can be set up for a networked game from the command line, You could probably have some sort of generic lobby system with configurable programs, or even make specific programs for them externally that handles lobbies and chat, and when yous go to play, it can just have the one person host and another connect. Would be nice if it was built in to the emulators, but if it's impractical or impossible or just not likely due to project priorities, an external utility isn't an awful compromise.
That's what I was thinking. Something easy that may help people to find other players w/o any external piece of software. An IRC chat would be nice though.
You should look at RetroArch, that's a multi-system emulator available for multiple operating systems and platforms, and it also has a decent stab at netplay. Now if only someone could contribute a chat system to it. Maybe something based off an IRC server, perhaps.
Thank you... I didn't know about RetroArch existence. I'll give it a try!
hacebe

Post by hacebe »

I wasn't aware that Zsnes was written in Assembly and C until now. It may be hard to begin, but that's a challenge i want to take. It's also a simple reason to learn Assembly language. Is there any documentation for the source code?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

hacebe wrote:Is there any documentation for the source code?
Nope.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54