Quirky behavior with Final Fantasy III

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deezee

Quirky behavior with Final Fantasy III

Post by Deezee »

Hello all,

I'm using a Logitech Dual Action USB controller, and so far it's worked just fine on every game I've played used ZSNES. I tried Final Fantasy III the other day, and was able to play through normally until I got to the world map. For whatever reason, when I press up on the gamepad, my character moves left. This is true even if I clear out all the keybindings in the input menu (so there shouldn't be a way to move up or left). Any ideas why this is happening? Again, it's only happening on the world map for Final Fantasy III. Everywhere else, the controller behaves just fine.
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Quirky behavior with Final Fantasy III

Post by paulguy »

When you load the ROM, does it say "CHKSUM: FAIL" or "BAD ROM"?

Another thing you could try is scanning it with NSRT (it's in someone's signature around here) and posting here about what it says.

Also, make sure you have no key combos set. (MISC -> KEY COMB.)
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Are you sure it's not your ROM? Scan your ROM with NSRT and make sure it's good.

Anyway, is the Logitech Profiler running in the background? If so, disable it. Also, it doesn't hurt to download the latest Logitech Gaming Software if you haven't already.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deezee wrote:This is true even if I clear out all the keybindings in the input menu (so there shouldn't be a way to move up or left). Any ideas why this is happening?
The problem is not the game.
I don't care if this is the only game it happens on, if you've actually cleared the key bindings and it still happens, then the problem is not the game.

My best guess is you have the option to use controllers 3 and 4 as duplicates of 1 and 2 enabled, and there's something weird going on because of that.
Go and unmap controllers 2, 3, and 4 as well. See what happens then.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Deezee

Post by Deezee »

Well, I did all of the things everybody suggested but it seems Gil_Hamilton was right. Getting rid of the key bindings for controllers 2, 3, and 4 fixed the issue. Thank you very much!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You can safely remap those again, as long as you don't overlap your controls, or disable the use player 3/4 as player 1/2 option.

I would bet that you had some shared controls across P1 and P3, and left has priority over up in the game's code.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads