Foreign keyboard problem

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

samba

Foreign keyboard problem

Post by samba »

To set up a path to save the game I have to write a slash ( / ) how can I do it with a spanish MacBook keyboard? Normally I just push shift+7 but when I use ZSNES all I got is a ( & ) symbol :cry: man, this is frustrating.

Thanks in advance!
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Foreign keyboard problem

Post by paulguy »

Open up your zsnes config file (not sure what this is on the mac) and edit the paths from there.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ZSNES goes by raw keycodes, not the character represented. Another piece of it's MS-DOS history.
It assumes a US QWERTY layout. Which is... unfortunate... for many people.

You want the key immediately to the left of the right shift key. If my quick internet search is correct, it has _ and - on it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:ZSNES goes by raw keycodes, not the character represented. Another piece of it's MS-DOS history.
Nah, that one was the netplay chat typing routine, which enforced qwerty for everyone. Got killed in the process, hopefully.
The one used by the current input boxes is a bit different. Basically, zsnes interprets the base keys properly, but from there it relies on QWERTY.
For instance, pressing 'Z' on any keyboard layout will work fine (it won't spit 'W' on AZERTY or 'Y' on QWERTZ) because such a key exists in QWERTY.
QWERTY has a key with '-/_' [without/with shift]. AZERTY has a key with '-/6'. If you press it, it will show '-', but if you caps it, it will spit '_' instead of '6' because that's what the capsed QWERTY key does.
AZERTY has a key with '&/1'. Since QWERTY has no key for & without caps, that key doesn't do shit.
So basically, any key that has a shiftless symbol not present on a shiftless QWERTY keyb is ignored. Keys with a recognised shiftless symbol get their QWERTY-caps symbol when shifted.

tl;dr: Edit the file manually.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
samba

Post by samba »

grinvader wrote:tl;dr: Edit the file manually.
How?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Notepad
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

paulguy wrote:Notepad
On a MacBook ?

I don't know which text editor you have, but use it on your config file.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Oh yeah, macbook, i forgot. I think it's just called "textedit" or something. If not, I know it comes with Vi.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

paulguy wrote:Oh yeah, macbook, i forgot. I think it's just called "textedit" or something. If not, I know it comes with Vi.
Yeah it's called textedit. You might also have pages on your Mac, if you're lucky(It's way better than textedit).