Sa-1 IRQ oddity (SMW modding)

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bio

Post by Bio »

grinvader wrote:You do know that the SA-1 has its own irqs, right ?
Yes but I'm sure I disabled them(those are disabled in the write at the begenning)
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

Sorry Bio
Unfortunatly i can't answer your question.
But do you have any engine test's with the SA-1 implimented (like you did for Super FX) for us to see? :D
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
Bio

Post by Bio »

Considering the fact that layer 3 get glitchy and that the game slow down to a crawl due to the IRQs, there isn't anything to see.

Meh, I guess I will keep looking at KSS' code to try to see what I'm doing wrong
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

Like i said earlier Bio....
I know Very Very little about snes programing (if anything), though i have done a bit of programming in assembly.

But i was just wondering.... what sort of debugger tools are used? I mean how where you able to diagnose the problem with the IRQ?

EDIT:
It's IRQ not IQR :oops:
Last edited by declan on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio

Post by Bio »

declan wrote:But i was just wondering.... what sort of debugger tools are used? I mean how where you able to diagnose the problem with the IQR?
Geiger's debugger seem to be the best one for the SNES. I noticed that It was IRQ due to layer 3 position becoming glitchy(since I knew SMW use IRQ to set the layer 3 position). Then, I changed the first opcode of the IRQ routine to RTI. Since the slowdown stopped and layer 3 position became fixed, I assumed it was the cause of the problem
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

You mean you've found the cause of the problem?

So it's working for you now?
Bio

Post by Bio »

no, it's just how I figured out that IRQ was the problem, If I disable it, layer 3 position and CGADDSUB won't work correctly...

At worse, I could use an HDMA transfer to substitute IRQ but I would really like to know what wrong