Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star.

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star.

Post by Neo Kaiser »

The game looks awesome according to THIS. Don't worry ! It won't be done by the same team of Dragon Song.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Don't worry ! It won't be done by the same team of Dragon Song.
No, because it's Yet Another Silver Star Story Port.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

lunar: super silver star story turbo
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
byuu

Post by byuu »

If only they'd fix the storyline back to the original. Or better yet, expand and complete the originally planned one. The SCD one supposedly had ~40% of the story cut due to budget issues. That's apparently not an issue anymore.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I do hope that it is more complete than the Sega CD version but who knows if this can finally dethrone the Sega CD version. Lunar fans regard the PS and the GBA versions as garbage.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Myself included. I'm very hopeful for the PSP version, but so far they haven't addressed many of the biggest flaws. Enemies are still visible and the world map is still super-deformed and without enemy encounters. From the looks of it (reusing videos), it has the same screwed up plotline as Silver Star Story. Thankfully WD is dead, so perhaps we'll get a real translation instead of a gag improv script this time.

The SCD graphics are really showing their age, though. It would be nice to have a beautiful port of the original game with the story and gameplay intact.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:I do hope that it is more complete than the Sega CD version but who knows if this can finally dethrone the Sega CD version. Lunar fans regard the PS and the GBA versions as garbage.
Most Silver Star Story fans regard the GBA port as garbage, too.

Because, well, the GBA port is objectively garbage.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I forget, why was the GBA port so fucking bad?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:I forget, why was the GBA port so fucking bad?
From the little I played(a boss fight on someone's loaner cart)...

Horrible music.
Final Fantasy-style fights where you stand in a line, rather than existing on a battlefield.
The title screen has (a shitty mix of) Lunar TWO'S title music, which is wildly inappropriate in tone for SS/SSS.

Get me a copy of the game and I'm sure I can get more worked up.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

I cant wait. Im a damn Lunar whore. I've loved every version except the fucking terrible gba one.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

clessoulis wrote:I cant wait. Im a damn Lunar whore. I've loved every version except the fucking terrible gba one.
Even Dragon Song? Whore is right.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Dragon Song is the absolute piece of shit in all Lunar history. The GBA Lunar is more playable than that shit. Running drain's your HP? That's enough to not insert the cart in a DS anymore.
byuu

Post by byuu »

To be honest, almost all of the Lunar franchise is terrible. And this is coming from someone who feels Lunar 1 was one of the best games made.

The original two Mega CD games were fantastic. After that it all went downhill:
- Walking School
- SSSC
- EBC
- Magic School
- Legend
- Genesis

All crap. They should have just killed it after EB, but heaven forbid they don't rape a great series until there is nothing possible left to give (hi, Sonic.)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

it's not rape if she's drugged enough !

Neo Kaiser wrote:Running drains your HP
it takes a special kind of stupid to try and increase "realism" that way in a video game
a stamina stat, ok, but hp ? hahaha oh wow
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote:To be honest, almost all of the Lunar franchise is terrible. And this is coming from someone who feels Lunar 1 was one of the best games made.

The original two Mega CD games were fantastic. After that it all went downhill:
- Walking School
- SSSC
- EBC
- Magic School
- Legend
- Genesis

All crap. They should have just killed it after EB, but heaven forbid they don't rape a great series until there is nothing possible left to give (hi, Sonic.)
SCD EB is better than SCD TSS. WAY better.

I've not had any real experience with School.
My rants on SSS and EBRemix are famous at this point, but not good for my heart.

And Game Arts is creatively bankrupt at this point. They don't have anything to do besides SSS ports anymore.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:They don't have anything to do besides SSS ports anymore.
Lunar: eternal silver star revolution blue plus - comes with a free pacemaker for oldbies !
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

If this PSP remake is not good then I consider the series dead. Even RPGs today don't use a character with the personality similar to Ghaleon.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:If this PSP remake is not good then I consider the series dead. Even RPGs today don't use a character with the personality similar to Ghaleon.
Ghaleon is awesome!

And I've considered the series dead since the GBA.
It's been obvious for quite some time that Game Arts has nothing left.
And Studio Alex hasn't been involved with ANY of the remakes(or Dragon Song).
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I don't know if all of you saw THIS but I posted just in case.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

I never finished Lunar SSS, I was going to replay it on my PSP so hearing that there is a PSP port coming is great news to me... assuming they ever release an English version.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I hope it does because there's potential.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:I hope it does because there's potential.
No there isn't.
It's another port of Silver Star Story. It may be better than Lunar Legends was, but that doesn't mean it will be a good game.

Studio Alex is dead, Game Arts is creatively bankrupt.
There will never be another good Lunar game. Just port after port after port of Silver Star Story.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
No there isn't.
It's another port of Silver Star Story. It may be better than Lunar Legends was, but that doesn't mean it will be a good game.

There will never be another good Lunar game. Just port after port after port of Silver Star Story.
But this is a remake and not a port. But i understand the dead of these series at least Eternal Blue was conclusive. I feel the same with Lufia.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Neo Kaiser wrote:I feel the same with [completely unrelated series that never got a single port or remake and is actually fairly extensible considering the current episodes delivered]
whats
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
No there isn't.

But this is a remake and not a port.
Fine, it's a remake of Silver Star Story. So was GBA Lunar.

My point still stands, it's going to be garbage.

But i understand the dead of these series at least Eternal Blue was conclusive. I feel the same with Lufia.
The Silver Star was conclusive too.
You're totally missing the point.

The POINT is that Game Arts as they exist now is a bunch of lazy soul-less fuckups, and the SSS rewrite was a mockery of the entire franchise that completely undermines the entire theme of the series.
There are no words to properly convey the magnitude of SSS' fuckups.

So long as the SSS script continues to propagate, no good can come of Yet Another Lunar 1 Rework(for those not keeping score, The Silver Star has been abused a half-dozen times now, with the blasphemous rewrite having soiled TWO Saturn versions, a PS1 version, a Windows 9x version, a GBA version, and now a PSP version)

If Game Arts cannot do something GOOD with the brand, and by all indications they CAN'T, they need to quit beating the dead horse and let the series rest in peace.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads