Happy 20th birthday, SNES

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Happy 20th birthday, SNES

Post by badinsults »

The SNES got its official nationwide roll-out (at least in the US) on September 9th, 1991. Though the date was not a solid one, as the SNES came in August in some areas. Here is an article from August 27th, 1991 regarding the release of the SNES:
Last weekend, months after video-game addicts started calling, Dave Adams finally was able to sell them what they craved: Super Nintendo.

Adams, manager of Babbages in South Coast Plaza, got 32 of the $199.95 systems Friday. By Monday afternoon he had five left.

"Everybody that calls up (to see if they're in stock) seems to hop in their car and come down to get one," he said. "I expected to blow them all out the first day."

Nearly one-third of all American homes have Nintendo systems, according to the company. The last big-selling Nintendo game, Super Mario Brothers III, grossed $450 million at $49.95 a set.

Super Nintendo features greatly improved graphics and color because of its 16-bit microprocessor. Until now the video giant had sold only eight-bit systems, leaving the more sophisticated machines to competitors Genesis and Sega of America. The new system offers 256 colors at once, 16 times more than the old system.

Nintendo is getting into the 16-bit arena late. It continued to push its eight-bit system while Sega of America and NEC Technologies surrendered that market and started selling 16-bit systems earlier this year.

At Software Etc. in the Mall of Orange, manager Don Leon was counting the minutes until his shipment of Super Nintendos arrived. He had ordered eight and already had reservations for most of them. He takes reservations only for particularly hot items, he said.

Super Nintendo began showing up in Southern California stores Wednesday, nearly three weeks before the official Sept. 9 release date.

"The people that really wanted to get it right away knew it was out," Adams said. "People have been calling for months on this thing."

The Toys R Us store in Cerritos got 80 on Wednesday and was down to a handful Monday afternoon, a store spokeswoman said.

Answering players' questions Q. Where is the 16-bit Super Nintendo available? A. Until the official nationwide release Sept. 9, availability will be limited. Toys R Us and some smaller distributors had it early. Nintendo says Kmart, Target and FAO Schwarz will have it.

Q. Can you play games from the eight-bit Nintendo system on the new 16-bit system? A. No. Nintendo says it will continue to supply games especially for the eight-bit machines.

Q. What games are available for the 16-bit system? A. Nintendo is packaging "Super Mario World," the fourth game involving the mustachioed video hero, with Super Nintendo. Two other games, a flight simulator called "Pilotwings" and a "space-age racing game" called "F-Zero" are available for $49.95 each. Nintendo intends to offer two more games in October -- "Sim City," a city planning game, and "Super Play Action Football." A sixth game, "Zelda III," will be available by Christmas.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Happy 20th birthday, SNES

Post by odditude »

i remember walking into the Captron - World of Nintendo in Burlington Center and being blown away by Super R-Type.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Happy 20th birthday, SNES

Post by grinvader »

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH SUPER POWER
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54