Deciding on whether to get a PSP-3000 or 3DS

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Deciding on whether to get a PSP-3000 or 3DS

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:I didn't even mind that Ocarina of Time 3D had no camera control whatsoever, other than the first person mode.
isn't this how OoT 64 came anyway?
You can recenter the camera behind you with Z, iirc.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

grinvader wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:I didn't even mind that Ocarina of Time 3D had no camera control whatsoever, other than the first person mode.
isn't this how OoT 64 came anyway?
You can recenter the camera behind you with Z, iirc.
You are correct. I believe it's also the same with the 3D version, except it's the L button.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:designing a game with the assumption that a peripheral is there is about one hair short of requiring it.
So a port of Monster Hunter 3 is reason to hate the 3DS?
hate is strong. be wary is better, i think. it was sony's single biggest mistake, and they go right ahead and replicate it. whether you or people on this board think it's actually necessary is one thing, but two sticks are expected if you're using sticks. not just by consumers at large, but developers as well.

i'm also wary of the wii u. i feel like the only reason it's coming out now is nintendo caught on the fact that the soccer moms don't buy a lot of games. and since nintendo appears unable to steadily let their own roster out to play and/or give the people who will buy games the games they want (project rainfall games, pikmin 3, console pokemon, etc.), the wii u is a go at getting some of that CoD and madden/fifa money.

i don't like that their "next-gen" system is a competitor to this gen's systems. they'll just fall right back behind again when xbox 3 and ps4 launch.

basically, my faith in nintendo is waning. they seem to be losing touch and isolating themselves more and more.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener2001 wrote: i'm also wary of the wii u. i feel like the only reason it's coming out now is nintendo caught on the fact that the soccer moms don't buy a lot of games. and since nintendo appears unable to steadily let their own roster out to play and/or give the people who will buy games the games they want (project rainfall games, pikmin 3, console pokemon, etc.), the wii u is a go at getting some of that CoD and madden/fifa money.

i don't like that their "next-gen" system is a competitor to this gen's systems. they'll just fall right back behind again when xbox 3 and ps4 launch.

basically, my faith in nintendo is waning. they seem to be losing touch and isolating themselves more and more.
I think they're being fairly intelligent, actually.
They've moved plenty of software on the Wii, most of it high-profit first-party titles. But it IS relatively underpowered at this point.

They're launching a new system that's comparable with the competition's old systems because they're keeping prices in-line with a commoditized toy. If they set out to make the biggest, baddest, and best, it would carry a price tag to match. They don't want to launch at five hundred bucks. Their hardware IS a game console, IS for households, and they DON'T want you to skip meals to afford it.
They'd rather be everyone's game machine than a dedicated hardcore gamer's platformm while Sony and MS are rushing headlong into the same trap of power at any cost that almost killed computer gaming.

This all goes back to why I said the current generation of hardware launched two years too early, a line I've repeated often since the launches finished.
360 was clearly not ready for launch, PS3 and 360 were both ridiculously expensive, and the Wii was incapable of anything better than 720*480, which was a bit of a hindrance as the market moves to fixed-resolution HDTVs.
Two years later, the 360 would've been stress-tested, the PS3 would've cost LESS than a half-grand, and the Wii would've been beefy enough to support HDTV and fancier graphical effects.
Also, the HDTVs that MS and Sony were targeting their hardware at would've been more commonplace.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i've heard that the consoles were a major push for consumers to go out and get hdtv's, though. i know that when i bought my 360, i refused to plug it into a regular tv. i bought the vga cable and played at 720p on my then 1280x1024 monitor. my xbox was more of a reason than my computer when i bought my 1920x1200 monitor.

i also don't think that the next consoles from MS and sony will be as ridiculous this time around. the rumored gpu for the next xbox is an ati mid-range card from the previous gen. a 6670, if memory serves. when the xbox and the 360 launched, the gpu's were slightly ahead of anything pc users had at the time. MS at least isn't going that extreme this time around.

but with the wii, i don't argue that nintendo's first party offerings aren't top-notch. but a new zelda game isn't coming out every year. they're just now trying to get some of that third party pie. cod on wii doesn't perform nearly as well as its other console counterparts, sales wise. madden jumped ship. dead space got a good showing, but the core series is absent. assassin's creed has only graced the handhelds. no rockstar at all. nintendo just about abandoned their own online store (at least in the states) way before they abandoned the wii itself.

the worst offender to me was the price drop on the 3ds. i'm glad it's cheaper, and i'm glad early adopters got some sort of recompense for being loyal fans. but the drop was way too fast, and i believe that nintendo isn't even going to offer the gba titles for sale to the general public. while a neat privilege for those that own them, i am missing out on an opportunity to give nintendo money. when i saw the list, there were at least two of those gba games that i would have gladly paid for.

i'm also going to save the NOA the trouble of making a decision and import the last story. i also won't be nearly as anxious to purchase a wii u as i was to purchase a wii. and hopefully capcom pulls their head out of their butts long enough to green-light a NA release of layton v. wright. i don't like capcom much, either, but that's another thread.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]