What's your greatest gaming conquest?(not nearly as long)

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Yuber
Trooper

What's your greatest gaming conquest?(not nearly as long)

Post by Yuber »

I fucked this thread up by rambling on too much, so what is your personal best gaming accomplishment? Mine is being able to consistently beat the World arcade version(all default settings, no save states or other cheats) of Ghouls n Ghosts although I still die a lot on that fucking maggot/worm boss and especially the speedo-twink arremers & boss rush before Beelzebub in the 5th level. In the Japanese & World arcade release, there's only one checkpoint per level and no checkpoint at the boss if you get killed, making the 5th level absolute hell. Lucifer's still a prissy little bitch though, thank God. I still die in the Genesis version on professional but it's about half as hard as the Jap./World arcade version. The US arcade is actually way too easy since there are checkpoints EVERYWHERE. Be sure to never use the sword(sucks anyway) in the US/EU Genesis version because if you get to the maggot boss with it, you can't hit him and you'll have to start all over due to the boss checkpoint.

I'm practicing off and on to beat Super GNG on professional mode, and it's fucking hard to change my play style and adjust to the constant slowdown. I seem to have the best luck with the crossbow, although the daggers are still awesome. They kinda nerfed the psycho cannon though since it's so much slower. IF I can beat SGNG on the hardest setting, the original Ghosts n Goblins is next. That shit will probably frustrate me to the point of literal insanity because of the ducking mechanics. The Supergrafx version of Ghouls is actually the hardest version due to VERY limited continues, and is a better arcade port than the Genesis version visually. Magic Engine runs it no problem, and it kicks my ass.

So, what are your best gaming accomplishments? I'm AWFUL at shmups and I'm impressed by anyone who can beat those fucking bullet hell games. If you have any videos or LPs of hard games, I'd love to see them.
Dr4xx3n89
Rookie

Re: What's your greatest gaming conquest?(not nearly as long

Post by Dr4xx3n89 »

Yuber wrote:I fucked this thread up by rambling on too much, so what is your personal best gaming accomplishment? Mine is being able to consistently beat the World arcade version(all default settings, no save states or other cheats) of Ghouls n Ghosts although I still die a lot on that fucking maggot/worm boss and especially the speedo-twink arremers & boss rush before Beelzebub in the 5th level. In the Japanese & World arcade release, there's only one checkpoint per level and no checkpoint at the boss if you get killed, making the 5th level absolute hell. Lucifer's still a prissy little bitch though, thank God. I still die in the Genesis version on professional but it's about half as hard as the Jap./World arcade version. The US arcade is actually way too easy since there are checkpoints EVERYWHERE. Be sure to never use the sword(sucks anyway) in the US/EU Genesis version because if you get to the maggot boss with it, you can't hit him and you'll have to start all over due to the boss checkpoint.

I'm practicing off and on to beat Super GNG on professional mode, and it's fucking hard to change my play style and adjust to the constant slowdown. I seem to have the best luck with the crossbow, although the daggers are still awesome. They kinda nerfed the psycho cannon though since it's so much slower. IF I can beat SGNG on the hardest setting, the original Ghosts n Goblins is next. That shit will probably frustrate me to the point of literal insanity because of the ducking mechanics. The Supergrafx version of Ghouls is actually the hardest version due to VERY limited continues, and is a better arcade port than the Genesis version visually. Magic Engine runs it no problem, and it kicks my ass.

So, what are your best gaming accomplishments? I'm AWFUL at shmups and I'm impressed by anyone who can beat those fucking bullet hell games. If you have any videos or LPs of hard games, I'd love to see them.

lol i tried to not use savestate but sh*t i can't your are a good gamer im just a roms collector
Dr4xx3n89 was here
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

first time i got the true ending of demon's crest. the death angel is a BEAST.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

For me, it was probably finishing the Challenge of the Gods (or whatever it was called) in the original God of War without breaking my controller in frustration.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Single-session SotN + FF7 run, which is how I hit 70 hours without sleeping.

sweet ol' days
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I don't have any masterful tales of exceptional skill, other than the time I zoned out and ran like four stages of Mars Matrix on one life without using the shield. That run ended as soon as I realized what I'd just done and the spell was broken.

But my FAVORITE moment was the final battle with the titular boss of Metroid Prime.

As you may recall, it shifts between visible, IR, and XRay visibility as the fight goes on.
And can only be hurt by the hyper beam, charged by puddles of phazon goo that the Prime shits out.

We'd both dumped a good bit of damage on each other, and are sitting nearly dead. Samus and I are quite literally one hit from dead. ANY damage will kill me. By my estimate, Prime will take one good salvo to put down.

I'm hammering away on fire when my phazon puddle runs dry. As I'm headed for the next one, Prime switches modes. I dash for the puddle, flip visors, and wildly scan the area to reacquire my target. I find Prime... moments before he closes to striking distance.
Doubting I can actually evade this close, much less survive long enough to set up for another salvo, I go all in. My grip shifts as my hand moves to a rapid-fire position, and I start mashing the A button like my life depends on it.

My hailstorm of hellfire hammers the hateful hostile's hide as he floats the last few inches closer... he rears back to strike... his stinger starts moving forward... hope turns to despair... and he goes down immediately before his killing blow connects with my face.

The best part? When I did my last visor switch, it was to the visible wavelength visor, so wasn't in false heatmaps or monochrome X-ray vision. Those last few seconds were in glorious true color, and it really added a lot to the cinematic feel of that final standoff.
The fact that it added a more seamless transition to the final cutscenes didn't hurt, either.

They couldn't have done it better if it was scripted that way.
It's the only time I ever wished I was one of those people that videotaped their gameplay sessions.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:My grip shifts as my hand moves to a rapid-fire position, and I start mashing the A button like my life depends on it.
PROTIP: MP1's hyper beam works by just holding the button pressed, no need to tap
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:...
Gil_Hamilton wrote:My grip shifts as my hand moves to a rapid-fire position, and I start mashing the A button like my life depends on it.
PROTIP: MP1's hyper beam works by just holding the button pressed, no need to tap
Ah, then ignore that part. I was unsure on that one detail and erred on the side of over-embellishing(and if I turned Metroid Prime into PN03 in the process, then oh well).

The rest is 100% accurate, though.

Shifting my grip for a button slamfest would've been satisfying, though.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:turned Metroid Prime into PN03 in the process
real men upgrade their suits to auto fire in pn03 too

gotta shake dat booty :3
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Dr4xx3n89
Rookie

Post by Dr4xx3n89 »

odditude wrote:first time i got the true ending of demon's crest. the death angel is a BEAST.

thank for the spoiler :x
Dr4xx3n89 was here
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:turned Metroid Prime into PN03 in the process
real men upgrade their suits to auto fire in pn03 too

gotta shake dat booty :3
Autofire 1 is worthless. Autofire 2 comes fairly late in a non-replay game.

And mashing A is more fun. :P
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Autofire 1 is worthless.
Oh yeah, I even forgot about that crap. Slower than firing yourself.

I really have to finish my butterfly game. Stupid sexy Vanessa gyrating ass^W^Wruining my concentration.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Autofire 1 is worthless.
Oh yeah, I even forgot about that crap. Slower than firing yourself.

I really have to finish my butterfly game. Stupid sexy Vanessa gyrating ass^W^Wruining my concentration.
I never actually got the Papillon. I swear I met the conditions, but it didn't unlock.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The conditions were never clear to me, so I did every main/bonus mission with a professional or destroyer ranking. Did every bonus mission thrice at least too. In normal and hard difficulties.

First thing that unlocks is that you can boost every suit to max stats in all categories, so you can just choose which colour/skillset you get for missions but keep the same basic stats.
Second is papillon, which permalocks onto you and forces you to clear the whole fucking game in perfect. eugh.

well, there's always tengu. thank god for tengu. crack cocaine got nothing on it.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:The conditions were never clear to me, so I did every main/bonus mission with a professional or destroyer ranking. Did every bonus mission thrice at least too. In normal and hard difficulties.

First thing that unlocks is that you can boost every suit to max stats in all categories, so you can just choose which colour/skillset you get for missions but keep the same basic stats.
Second is papillon, which permalocks onto you and forces you to clear the whole fucking game in perfect. eugh.

well, there's always tengu. thank god for tengu. crack cocaine got nothing on it.
My understanding is Blackbird is a reward for beating the game, and papillon requires you to get a pro rating on every trial mission and every real stage. Which I thought I did twice, but it never unlocked. And seriously, trial missions get boring after a while!
This is as opposed to the japanese version, where you got the papillon for beating the game after unlocking the Blackbird, but lost your combo bonus if you left the room before the combo timer ended.

Also, tengu isn't the ONLY way to take a hit without damage.
There's an invicibility window in the sidespin animation. Looks to be when your shoulder is facing directly forward. I can't use it reliably, but when I mess up a dodge and a missile splashes harmlessly off my shoulder pad ANYWAYS, it's kinda cool.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Dr4xx3n89 wrote:
odditude wrote:first time i got the true ending of demon's crest. the death angel is a BEAST.
thank for the spoiler :x
the game is over 20 years old, and i've seen that particular boss mentioned in several "hardest boss evar" lists.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Killing Ozma from FF9 without completing the friendly monster quest was also an accomplishment, but a lot of it was luck based since that fucker can cast meteor on you 1st thing and kill your entire party. Curse is incredibly obnoxious too, but around half of my deaths were caused by insta-kill meteor spells since I didn't have a coherent strategy/no auto-life equipped. I wasted a lot of AP on status defense to combat curse, so I basically got lucky. I just used Thievery, Shock, boosted Bahamut when I didn't need to heal, and I still don't know why I put Vivi in there, but I got lucky with his meteor and consistently did 8000+ damage during my 1 successful run.

edit: I never played Demon's Crest as a kid, but I've played it briefly in ZSNES and 9x. I have a big RPG backlog right now, but once I finish everything I'll try to 100% DC after I finally beat SGNG. Super Ghouls, at least imo, is significantly harder than the world arcade Ghouls. The arremers are even more annoying since you can't shoot up/down. The only way I can consistently kill them is by using the crossbow, especially the homing/enhanced version. Regular crossbow makes them manageable, homing one makes them easy. Those tiny flying demons also annoy the living shit out of me and catch me off guard.

SGNG gets really, really hard after killing ballsack barnacle(2nd boss).
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Dr4xx3n89 wrote:thank for the spoiler :x
You're Welcome.

that said, I'd guess those times when I completed A Link to the Past in one sitting. As well as catching one of the Regis in Pokemon Sapphire using only a Pokeball.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Was your 1-sitting LTTP run a no death or save state run as well? If so, that's pretty impressive. When I play LTTP I usually beat a couple dungeons at a time and save/quit. Next time I play it I should try for a zero death/save run even though I kinda suck at it. My best run was back in grade school with only 1 save/death; I don't remember if I died or used save/quit.

I've never played Pokemon before because the concept doesn't interest me, but maybe I should give the series a chance sometime. If you haven't played Suikoden 1-2, I recommend trying them out and getting all 108 characters. I got all 108 in 1-2, but I can't call it a big accomplishment because I used a guide for both during my second runs. 2 is the masterpiece of the series and you don't HAVE to play 1 first, but you should since you can import your save data into 2 to unlock some secrets.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yuber wrote:Was your 1-sitting LTTP run a no death or save state run as well?
No death, no save states. I got everything in it.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Nice. That's definitely an accomplishment especially since you got every item and heart piece with zero deaths or saves. How long did that take you to do? It'd take me so long that I'd end up passing out in front of my TV, but if I tried I'd just leave the game on while sleeping to avoid save/quits; there's no way I could do that in one sitting.

Ozma from FF9 is, imo, the hardest, most annoying boss in FF history even though it doesn't have lots of HP. Its meteor spell has a very high chance of 1-shotting your party, and even with auto-life, it can just re-cast meteor or curse to finish you off. Instead of Vivi, I should've had Freya in my party to use Dragon's Crest. I simply got lucky with Vivi's meteor spell doing 8000+ and 9999 a few times. I haven't tried fighting Yiazmat from XII but that thing looks ridiculously difficult. Honorable mention goes to Omega from FF5. If you can even get a turn in, a mystic knight with thundaga sword and rapid fire(especially with dual weapons) can kill it rather fast, but that thing will wipe you out in 10 seconds sometimes. I've only killed the SNES Omega so I have no experience fighting mark II.

Shinryu is somewhat easy because you can just equip coral rings & ice sheilds+cast Golem on everyone. I just went nuts with rapid fire and my strongest magic/summons. Using quick is kind of cheap, but if you're in a massive bind it's a lifesaver. As long as I equip items that keep me from getting hurt by tsunami and atomic ray I can almost always kill it without resorting to quick. I've never fought Neo Shinryu, so I can't comment on his difficulty.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:How long did that take you to do?
Last time it took me about 3.5 hours. Got the shovel heart in one fell swoop, booya. Which is the only random part of the game, really.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Yuber wrote:How long did that take you to do?
Last time it took me about 3.5 hours. Got the shovel heart in one fell swoop, booya. Which is the only random part of the game, really.
Fuck the shovel heart.
I've probably spent an hour trying to get it before. Last run it was the one reason I DIDN'T do a 100% run.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

ok - since zelda was mentioned...

1. i can still one-shot zelda 1 (no deaths) in about 2~2.5 hours. i get everything (barring some keys) but don't bother exploring unnecessary dungeon areas (hence skipping keys).

2. one-shotting second quest, no deaths. takes a bit longer since i don't know all the maps by heart.

3. actually beating zelda 2 back in the day (probably 8th grade). that last temple was, is, and always will be a MAJOR pain in the ass. seeing the (finally!) completed Triforce is full of win.

4. one-shotting lttp, getting everything. preferred dark world order for me is 1-4-2-3-5-6-7-8. the block puzzle in 5 doesn't bother me much, and i'd rather have the blue mail for 6 so i can just stare down Vitreous and brute-force him. grin: don't forget about the chest game heart piece.

and for something completely different, the first time i finished a no-weapons-except-against-w4-and-w6-bosses mm2 "hard" run. you gain a lot more respect for crashman and woodman when you have to hit them 28 times. actually, going back further, the first time i completed quickman's stage without using the time stopper.

obviously, i have replayed those games far more times than is generally considered sane.

oh yeah - being the puzzle fighter champ on my dorm floor. dan vs dan at speed 5 teaches you very quickly to not screw up.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:grin: don't forget about the chest game heart piece.
oh right. never gave me any issue though, unlike the dang shovel one. i'm just tripping balls on rupees at that point so it's just a matter of minutes.
皆黙って俺について来い!!