Post v1.42 ZSNES WIPs

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
unless there's a particular game or genre that has it (games that cause it I can at least look into it more)
If we knew, that'd help. So far there's an added problem of feature-based randomness:
- skipping frames is bad. Forcing autoframe rate with a max speed of 1x and 0 max frameskip would be a solution, though hackish.
- step-by-step... completely breaks most movies. Unusable so far. Recording just 1 frame in step-by-step is enough to break movies for some games.
- and the last one I found, rewind states. When zsnes saves a rewind state, "something" happens and makes it go differently compared to if zsnes didn't save that state. Standard states do not seem to have that behaviour.

So, if you record a movie with 0 frames skipped, rewinds states set at 0, and never using step-by-step you'll never(?) desync. At least I never got a desync in ~500 test movies when using the same version of zsnes the movie was made with.
So what do you use to store the whole movie (like actions, state of the cores... something to ensure that the movie reproduces properly)?

Depending on how you store it, it can affect the movie. This would be the kind of issue that can cause the first two problems..

For rewinding (ideally, it shouldn't be allowed in the first place), it could be the savestate data (either incomplete or needs more data) or something fundamentally about the recording (which could be related to the movie data storage or the emulator processing the data) could be the issue.

I'll try to create a small movie and look into these issues...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:So what do you use to store the whole movie (like actions, state of the cores... something to ensure that the movie reproduces properly)?
.. Input. That's all we need. 'From a given state [console power up or save state - a constant status, basically] the same input ["movie"] will produce the same outcome [awesome].'
This is our goal, and we currently fail at it.
Depending on how you store it, it can affect the movie.
No.
For rewinding (ideally, it shouldn't be allowed in the first place)
Wrong person to talk about that, I'm a big TAS fan. You don't want rerecords, don't use them. But don't force people not to use them.
it could be the savestate data (either incomplete or needs more data)
Rewind states save a whole normal state (without preview pic, useless) plus 32 bytes not in save states. Check zstate.c to see for yourself.
or something fundamentally about the recording (which could be related to the movie data storage or the emulator processing the data) could be the issue.
This doesn't make any sense, sorry.
Last edited by grinvader on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
For rewinding (ideally, it shouldn't be allowed in the first place)
Wrong person to talk about that, I'm a big TAS fan. You don't want rerecords, don't use them. But don't force people not to use them.
I never said I don't want it. I thought it was pretty difficult due to the nature of rewinding in the normal sense of the word... I should've thought this more through as a rewind in ZSNES is the equivalent of loading a savestate taken a moment ago.

About step-by-step/rewind, is it possible that the issuing the command itself being dealt with properly? Since you are dealing with input (this includes keyboard input) that this input is supposed/not supposed to be added into the movie? That's the only real issue that I can think of that could be at work.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:a rewind in ZSNES is the equivalent of loading a savestate taken a moment ago.
Seems like 'something' else happens, since it has issues not present with usual states. But yes, you're right on the wanted effect.
About step-by-step/rewind, is it possible that the issuing the command itself being dealt with properly? Since you are dealing with input (this includes keyboard input) that this input is supposed/not supposed to be added into the movie? That's the only real issue that I can think of that could be at work.
Good idea, but it's not the cause. Pausing/stepping and rewinding is dealt with just before saving the input, actually.

Anyway, don't kill yourself over it.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

Im sorry guys, i know i replaced the file in the zip with the newer version (because i did it manually...) but somehow it didn't take... DOS and the Source should be fine tho...

Uploaded a new binary, http://files.ipherswipsite.com/zsnes/ZSNESW_0227.zip
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

error message about mencoder.exe missing when mencoder is there but it seemed to work it just didnt output a file. .x264 codec and with sound in sync. (in nach's build you didnt have to specify its location you just had to have it in the same folder... do you have to with this build?)

didnt test other settings and never the less thanks nach, grinvader, pagefault and johnas quinn.
Last edited by franpa on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Hmm... was the Uncompressed AVI option removed intentionally? It's missing in this version (although the two new options are available)..

Assuming this build is good (I'm still not sure though), I'm not sure if the typo fix has been applied... because FF2/4 and CT are still affected from the DMA changes... :?

Otherwise it is still a good build...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:Hmm... was the Uncompressed AVI option removed intentionally?
>
Nach wrote:And now ZSNES can use mencoder internally to put audio and video in one file to make even life easier! :)
I also fixed a bug with audio dumping in Windows.
I also removed the Uncompressed AVI option.
I'm not sure if the typo fix has been applied... because FF2/4 and CT are still affected from the DMA changes...
Bug report please.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

FF2/4 Bug
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... &start=475
The bug is more visible with the J2E translation, but it is there in all versions.

NSRT Info:
---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
File: Final Fantasy 2 (V1.0) (U).smc
Name: FINAL FANTASY II Company: Square
Header: SWC Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No SRAM: 64 Kb
Type: Normal + Batt ROM: 8 Mb
ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0x85F0 CRC32: 65D0A825
--------------------------Database--------------------------
Name: Final Fantasy II
Port 1: Gamepad Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: RPG Genre 2: Turn Based

File: Final Fantasy 2 (V1.1) (U).smc
Name: FINAL FANTASY 2 Company: Square
ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM) Revision: 1.1
Checksum: Good 0x7728 CRC32: 23084FCD
Name: Final Fantasy II

File: Final Fantasy 4 (J).smc
Name: FINAL FANTASY 4 Company: Square
ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM) Revision: 1.1
Checksum: Good 0xACCC CRC32: CAA15E97
Name: Final Fantasy IV

CT Bug - when in battle, selecting over options that involve a description of the tech, there is guarenteed flickering.

NSRT Info:
File: Chrono Trigger (US).smc
Name: CHRONO TRIGGER Company: Square
Header: SWC Bank: HiROM
Type: Normal + Batt ROM: 32 Mb
ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0x788C CRC32: 2D206BF7
Name: Chrono Trigger

Both bugs occuring after the 2/19 WIP.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

WIPTIME!

3/07/06
ALL: Gamma message is now correct. (yes you can use gamma in any port in any video mode now) [Nach]
ALL: Fixed crash after SuperFX savestates are loaded. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Made anti aliasing comment more clear (thanks Jipcy for pointing it out). [Nach]
ALL: zmovie.cfg is now created when ZSNES loads, and is only read then. [Nach]
W_S: Added a safe popen() which doesn't return until it knows the application is there or not, and doesn't carry around extra data. And there was much rejoicing across the land. [Nach]
SDL: Improved spc_fork to remove all bugs (take that cookbook!). Split out code from sdllink to a seperate file. [Nach]
SDL: Fixed problem with GUI not being updated sometimes [pagefault]
SDL: Added freedesktop.org file [pagefault]
PSR: Parsegen now has better handling of blank comments. [Nach]
MOV: Added compressed audio support, uses LAME by default. [Nach, ipher]
MOV: XviD now functional [Nach, ipher]
MOV: Changed defaults [Nach]
MOV: Fixed MinGW video. [Nach]
MOV: Movie related actions now set frame skip to 0, and restores original settings when done. [Nach]
SRC: Code Cleanup. [grinvader, Nach]
SRC: Updated todo. [pagefault]
SRC: Made guifuncs.c depend on md.o to fix some problems. [Jonas Quinn]
SRC: Added a file in psrhead/ so people who blindly use -P stop failing. [grinvader]
SRC: Added NTSC filter from blargg. [pagefault, ipher, Nach]
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

absoloutly awesome thanks everyone! :D

and ipher... are you sure this is the latest cvs? because it seems you have been having trouble lately adding the newest version to your site.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa_9 wrote:absoloutly awesome thanks everyone! :D

and ipher... are you sure this is the latest cvs? because it seems you have been having trouble lately adding the newest version to your site.
Looks fine, but the WIP name (and text file) should be dated 3/8/06 (as evidenced by the version number inside the emulator).

I don't think anything is wrong unless you find something wrong.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

your right... in the left frame the date is one day early.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

I'm having an issue enabling the NTSC filter in the new WIP (Kubuntu 5.10/Breezy). The checkbox is there, but nothing happens when I tick it. All other filters work as usual. I've tried in both O and non-O modes, full-screened and windowed. I'm using the flgrx driver (Radeon 9600), in case it matters. Is anyone else seeing this, or am I just missing something stupid?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:I'm having an issue enabling the NTSC filter in the new WIP (Kubuntu 5.10/Breezy). The checkbox is there, but nothing happens when I tick it. All other filters work as usual. I've tried in both O and non-O modes, full-screened and windowed. I'm using the flgrx driver (Radeon 9600), in case it matters. Is anyone else seeing this, or am I just missing something stupid?
I'm experiencing it too (I wanted to see this for myself), but I'm using the Windows version of the WIP.
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

Deathlike2 wrote:
odditude wrote:I'm having an issue enabling the NTSC filter in the new WIP (Kubuntu 5.10/Breezy). The checkbox is there, but nothing happens when I tick it. All other filters work as usual. I've tried in both O and non-O modes, full-screened and windowed. I'm using the flgrx driver (Radeon 9600), in case it matters. Is anyone else seeing this, or am I just missing something stupid?
I'm experiencing it too (I wanted to see this for myself), but I'm using the Windows version of the WIP.
Pity, I wanted to witness NTSC for myself, guess we're stuck with RGB for now! :P
Last edited by JFD62780 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Until next post...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

movie recording, ntsc filter and date on iphers page are messed up in this version.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Do people read?

SRC: Added NTSC filter from blargg. [pagefault, ipher, Nach]

You can't use it, souce only.

What do you mean movie is messed up?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

check here for why the movie is messed up...

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... &start=150

and thanks for letting us know about the ntsc filters availability.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

franpa_9 wrote: and thanks for letting us know about the ntsc filters availability.
It said in the what's new about it, read it more carefully next time.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

yea i overlooked src: so yea thanks for pointing that out... i'll also try to post bugs in the appropriate forum from now on.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Sorry, I didn't realize that something in added to the source wasn't in the source tarball that I downloaded/compiled. I'm apparently not the only one confused by that, though.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:Sorry, I didn't realize that something in added to the source wasn't in the source tarball that I downloaded/compiled. I'm apparently not the only one confused by that, though.
I think the fact that there was a toggle in the GUI options did throw me off... if it was hidden/missing.. I wouldn't have cared.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Has any work been done on open bus stuff? It'd be nice if I could play equinox in the latest version. There was a command line switch that pagefault told me but it did nothing. I reported it about a year and a half ago with my zuzma name. I didn't want to say anything about it since I don't like bugging you guys but I figure it's been quite awhile.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

powerspike wrote:Has any work been done on open bus stuff? It'd be nice if I could play equinox in the latest version. There was a command line switch that pagefault told me but it did nothing. I reported it about a year and a half ago with my zuzma name. I didn't want to say anything about it since I don't like bugging you guys but I figure it's been quite awhile.
I believe there has, however whether it is complete or 100% working is probably a different matter. It's best to test it with the recent WIPs.. and if that doesn't work, well obviously.. it's probably not enough. I believe while some of that stuff was implemented, existing stuff has broke.. so, you'll need to find out for yourself.