Lots of questions about compiling (VS 2003)

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

snes6502
Rookie

Lots of questions about compiling (VS 2003)

Post by snes6502 »

I need a little help with compilling zsnes with vs studio 2003. I'm not sure where to begin, so I thought I'd ask here. Here's is what I think (and tried), but I wanted to know what steps I'm missing.

0) Build the zlib, png libraries and download the Directx sdk.
1) Create a new project.
2) Add all the C files
3) Add all the ASM files
4) Add a custom build command to execute nasm for each asm file.
5) I don't actually assemble the "inc" files, just make sure they are where the asm files can find them?

I've made several stabs at this allready but been unsuccesful (wouldn't compile without md.h, but the asm files assembled fine). I also have several general questions about compilling.

6) What is parsegen.cpp and objfix.cpp for?
7) How can I incorporate their use in the above VS workspace?
8) where does the MD.h file come from? Is it generated by one of the above programs?
9) Why is the older dsp no longer usable?

I'm working on an Xbox port (which is why I need to use VS 2003), and I have been spending several days studying the assembly to understand where things take place. Basically my next big hurdle is getting a windows build using VS 2003 and I was hoping someone could offer some tips (or even better a solution file/workspace). Thanks in advance.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Do not use any of MSVC's project garbage.

Read zsnes/docs/install.txt
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snes6502 »

I have actually read it many times. I would really like to compile through the ide (which is why I am trying to understand what all the makefile steps are doing so I can do them through a VS workspace). Is it not possible? Thanks
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I don't know why you'd want to use MSVC's stuff over the makefile, but if you want to make your own MSVC stuff, you have work ahead of you.

You'll need to have parsegen handle the PSR files.
objfix is used with MinGW.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snes6502 »

What about the md.h? Thanks
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Outputted by parsegen.

Post by snes6502 »

I want to use VS Ide because it is able to build executables in the Xbox format. It's probablly possible for me to use a makefile to do this, but I have no clue what it's doing to build an .xbe verses a .exe.

Maybe I could figure that out and still use the makefile.ms with modifications.

When you say MinGW, do you mean the version of gcc that comes with MinGW?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

MinGW is GCC for Windows (along with a few other tools).

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

I wrote a nice revised article here a while back on all that is required to compile ZSnes with MinGW. Read it and follow that. Visual Studios is highly overrated IMO.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Nach on #zsnes on FreeNode wrote:<Nach> and if someone wants to quote me, it's "when idiots join forces, mass stupidity becomes its own life force".
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Importing the source code into Visual Studio itself is probably as complicated as working out the compiler options to edit the make file, and since it is quite apparent that nobody here cares, least of all myself, how about you find another project more easily ported to the XBox? Or better yet, do like the smart people and buy an old SNES, and either stock up on games, or find a backup unit. The overall experience is likely to be more pleasant anyway.