What Video Settings are Really Good?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

Well... Interpolated, VSync, Tri-Buffer, High Res Mode 7, 1024x768 (using Correct Aspect Ratio video in drivers) for me. HQ2x is really needless and even though I have NTSC Composite enabled it does nothing for me.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

that would be because it's not implemented yet.

to see it, you need to use pagefault's special test build, in the thread about the filter.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Bahamut_ZERO_939 wrote:Well... Interpolated, VSync, Tri-Buffer, High Res Mode 7, 1024x768 (using Correct Aspect Ratio video in drivers) for me. HQ2x is really needless and even though I have NTSC Composite enabled it does nothing for me.
The NTSC filter option does not work yet as sweener2001 said.

Also, Hires Mode 7 disables the use of the other filters when using Mode 7. See FF2/3/4/5/6 Overworlds. I've already told you this info in another thread...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

i personally use:

1024x768 DS FULL (although we all dont have the same monitors or graphics cards so we should be individual about this right?)
VSYNC + SUPER 2XSAI (hq3x seems to be blockier for foreground objects.killer instinct shows this blatantly. give me blurry over blocky any day)
TRIPLE BUFFERING
AUTO FRAMERATE. definately.
NEW GFX ENGINE.there must be a reason i turned this on
MMX SUPPORT
and most importantly for me:
HIGH PRIORITY MODE: shuts out other programs to just concentrate on the snes. frame rate boosts massively and wouldnt go without it
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

I use more subtle video setup :?

512x448 DR WIN
Hi-Res Mode7

The small screen resolution is enough for me and windowed mode is pretty convenient considering most of my zsnes time is zbattling.

Hi-Res does wonders for mario kart, track looks so sharp + clean with it. I dont really care for the other filters. I prefer the crisp 'pixelation' over the blurry filters (I'm probably alone on this one :lol: )

As for vysync, I cant seem to get it to work right. It jerks occasionally from its 60fps motion which really irritates me. The CPU usage hovers about 10-20% (2.6ghz CPU) without it but enabled it takes up 100% usage and causes the screen to jerk about (High pirority mode set). The screen tearing doesn't bug me much but to get rid of it would be nice anyway.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Dan wrote:I use more subtle video setup :?

512x448 DR WIN
Hi-Res Mode7

The small screen resolution is enough for me and windowed mode is pretty convenient considering most of my zsnes time is zbattling.

Hi-Res does wonders for mario kart, track looks so sharp + clean with it. I dont really care for the other filters. I prefer the crisp 'pixelation' over the blurry filters (I'm probably alone on this one :lol: )

As for vysync, I cant seem to get it to work right. It jerks occasionally from its 60fps motion which really irritates me. The CPU usage hovers about 10-20% (2.6ghz CPU) without it but enabled it takes up 100% usage and causes the screen to jerk about (High pirority mode set). The screen tearing doesn't bug me much but to get rid of it would be nice anyway.
Try enabling Triple buffering and see if that helps. Even though the CPU seems sufficent.. integrated graphics can hinder performance.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

Dan wrote:As for vysync, I cant seem to get it to work right. It jerks occasionally from its 60fps motion which really irritates me. The CPU usage hovers about 10-20% (2.6ghz CPU) without it but enabled it takes up 100% usage and causes the screen to jerk about (High pirority mode set). The screen tearing doesn't bug me much but to get rid of it would be nice anyway.
If you got tearing with vsync (or triple buffering) than vsync isn't working like it should. Try enabling vsync at your videocard driver settings. You often have to enable vsync for direct3d to make it work.

Also when you got a powerful pc then you should disable autoframeskip and set frameskip to 0 and make sure your monitor is set to 60hz. That way no frame is skipped ever.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ]Say NO to the Loudness war[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

i would agree with you mark but disabling auto frame skip results in the frame rate limitar also being disabled. this makes everything run too fast.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

franpa_9 wrote:i would agree with you mark but disabling auto frame skip results in the frame rate limitar also being disabled. this makes everything run too fast.
Not if vsync is enabled and the monitor is set to 60Hz like Mark7 implied.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

didnt know that... ill give it a whirl.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

I tried out the ideas but I still get the same jerking issues. Also, the game runs at a slightly slower speed than normal with vsync enabled. Screen tearing didn't really stick out that much without vsync so It's not really much of a loss. Thanks anyway.
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

Oh wait, you do know that vsync/triple buffering only works in full screen?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ]Say NO to the Loudness war[/url]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Mark7 wrote:Oh wait, you do know that vsync/triple buffering only works in full screen?
Triple Buffering is only available for fullscreen.. not for Windowed modes.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Mark7 wrote:Also when you got a powerful pc then you should disable autoframeskip and set frameskip to 0 and make sure your monitor is set to 60hz. That way no frame is skipped ever.
Seconded. An easy place to check is Super Metroid's intro, when the Mode7 screen scrolls to the left.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

thanks mark7... its awesome how smooth and fluid it is.