Saving Paths

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

URB

Saving Paths

Post by URB »

First of all, let me say I'm french. So if my english is good to trash, it's normal. As long as you understand me....

So, I've got a problem with this update:
list of update wrote:- Save location can now be edited in the GUI. [Nach]
I think it's useless and I found it bugging often.
Useless (for me, I know others may need it): I rather have my save in the same folder than the game, it makes my PC more clean, less messy. And it's allow me to delete a game and everything which go with in one click. And I hope you'll make in a further version a "tick case" to choose between the ancient and the new way.

Bug: Yes. First there is the probleme that I'm trying to keep have my save with the game (who aren't in the same folder than Zsnes), but the "Path">"Save" line, when it's empty, sometimes take the direction of the rom, sometimes not, which make my PC messy :x :)
And second, my girlfriend see her save disappear (or not appear, I don't now, I must go to her house to see if I can fix the problem). And I think it's come from this.

Hope I'm clear...
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Umm... OK.

The default (normal) behavior of ZSNES is to have all save files (save ram, save states, images) save in the same folder as your ROM. Which seems to be the action you want. So make sure the Save Path is blank and ZSNES should do what you want.

I'm not sure how/why you say it is buggy.

I don't even know what version of ZSNES first allowed you to specify the save path in the GUI.

Please make sure you are using the latest official version of ZSNES, version 1.42. You can get it from the main page: http://www.zsnes.com/index.php?page=files

Also, make sure you delete your two configuration files: "zsnesw.cfg" and "zguicfgw.dat".
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
URB

Post by URB »

So make sure the Save Path is blank and ZSNES should do what you want.
The little problem is on the "should".
When the Save Path is blank, ZSNES fill it. Usually, it is filled with the path to the rom. Fine. But, I have to blank it everytime I change the rom. And it often don't appear at the first time, which force me to relaunch ZSNES. And sometimes, it don't fill with the right path.
So yes, I'll be happy to use the "default behaviour" as you say.

The bug of no-save I mentioned seems to have been fix, according to my girlfriend.

I have the latest version of ZSNES, but I'm not sure I'll keep it...

Why should I delete the file you named? Won't this delete my configuration?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

URB wrote:
So make sure the Save Path is blank and ZSNES should do what you want.
The little problem is on the "should".
When the Save Path is blank, ZSNES fill it. Usually, it is filled with the path to the rom. Fine. But, I have to blank it everytime I change the rom. And it often don't appear at the first time, which force me to relaunch ZSNES. And sometimes, it don't fill with the right path.
So yes, I'll be happy to use the "default behaviour" as you say.

The bug of no-save I mentioned seems to have been fix, according to my girlfriend.

I have the latest version of ZSNES, but I'm not sure I'll keep it...

Why should I delete the file you named? Won't this delete my configuration?
Those files are generated by ZSNES. Deleting them will obviously delete your current config, however.. if you recenrly updated ZSNES, older versions of these files can cause problems with ZSNES.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
URB

Post by URB »

Allright. I delete the files you said, reconfigure my zsnes (btw i am dumb) and while I was doing it, I found a option which looked good: "Don't save cur path".
And after some trying, it's seem to do what I want: rewrite the path at every game change.

So the problem is fixed.
Thank you all.
URB

Post by URB »

Hum...
After some retest, if saw that I was a little overconfident: it has worked once, then no more.
So, for the next version, please let the player choose between the two possibility: set a single path, or always save with the rom.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

URB wrote:reconfigure my zsnes (btw i am dumb) and while I was doing it
Please remember that the full and proper name is ZSNES, not zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator).
URB wrote:So, for the next version, please let the player choose between the two possibility: set a single path, or always save with the rom.
I'm still fairly confident there is a problem with your configuration, not a problem with ZSNES.

Can a developer comment on this? Is any of what he's talking about intended behavior?

EDIT- Some more thoughts:
URB wrote:I rather have my save in the same folder than the game, it makes my PC more clean, less messy. And it's allow me to delete a game and everything which go with in one click.
Do you keep each ROM (and its save files) in a separate folder by itself? Or are all your ROMs (and their save files) in a single folder? Perhaps separating each ROM to a different folder could be causing trouble.
URB wrote:but the "Path">"Save" line, when it's empty, sometimes take the direction of the rom, sometimes not, which make my PC messy
Where do the saves go when they do not take the direction of the ROM?
Last edited by Jipcy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

My guess is he keeps his ROMs in multiple paths, and the saves are going in the last used ROM path.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by KingHanco »

Nach wrote:My guess is he keeps his ROMs in multiple paths, and the saves are going in the last used ROM path.
I think so too Nach. It took me a while to see what is going on where the games save going into. He will figure it out.

URB, you could setup a games save path like this. This way you will know where the games save is at. Change D into what ever ZSNES is at. Besure to make a save folder before setting the path. Very easy to do. Btw: The cheats will be in the same path where the games save be at.

"Zsnes is the best one there is." :)
URB

Post by URB »

First: sorry for the zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator), it's a keyboard mistake (faute de frappe).
I'm still fairly confident there is a problem with your configuration, not a problem with ZSNES
I don't think so. It's just than ZSNES is not made to work the way I want.

I keep all my roms in separated folders. It's make my Pc cleanier, and allow to delete a rom and everything who go with it easily.
And if I let the Path clear, sometimes it goes to my rom's folder, sometimes to the Zsnes folder. And anyway, I need to clean it at new the next time I play an other game.

Thanks KingHanco, but I don't whant my saves to go all in a same folder. I know I'm really boring, but it work with the older version, so I'm a little unhappy not to manage to do the same with the new version.
KingHanco
Hazed

Post by KingHanco »

URB wrote:Thanks KingHanco, but I don't whant my saves to go all in a same folder. I know I'm really boring, but it work with the older version, so I'm a little unhappy not to manage to do the same with the new version.
What windows are you using? 95, 98, NT or XP? This is very important to know what windows are you are using.

Every new official ZSNES release have more fixes. ZSNES 1.42 is the lates stable version. Older versions may have some problems.
Last edited by KingHanco on Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

KingHanco, just give up, you're not getting what he's saying at all.

URB: We understand your issue, and we'll work out something eventually, but we can't promise anything about it being in next WIP.
VF > On va rajouter l'option pour faire ce que tu demandes, mais ca va demander beaucoup de temps parce qu'on veut faire ça bien, et donc il faut rassembler et réécrire toutes les routines de choix de répertoire éparpillées un peu partout. Prends ton mal en patience, ça risque d'être long vu qu'on bosse sur pas mal d'autres trucs en ce moment.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
KingHanco
Hazed

Post by KingHanco »

grinvader wrote:KingHanco, just give up, you're not getting what he's saying at all.
Ok. I will stay out of this then. Your the man on the job for now on.

URB, no problem. I must been confused because I never uses older ZSNES before. :)
URB

Post by URB »

Quelqu'un qui parle français? Bonnard! :D
D'accord, je vous demandez pas une solution immédiate non plus, je suppose que c'est plus simple de demander des trucs que de les programmer hein?
Juste que j'espère que vous penserez à moi pour la prochaine version :wink: .

English Version for the others: Allright, I'll wait.
tcaudilllg

Post by tcaudilllg »

I'd just like to say I've had the same problem. One particular issue has been the auto-patching mechanism. I end up fighting with it to try to keep it from jumping from one directory to the other. ZSNES uses the same directory for patches as for saves! Creates a huge mess.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

lordgalbalan wrote:I'd just like to say I've had the same problem. One particular issue has been the auto-patching mechanism. I end up fighting with it to try to keep it from jumping from one directory to the other. ZSNES uses the same directory for patches as for saves! Creates a huge mess.
This might just sound silly is that.. this is currently the intended functionality. Although I somewhat share the sentiment, that's really how it has been working in ZSNES and Snes9x (though Snes9x checks the same folder the ROM is in for IPS patches).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...