Priority sprite/bg bugs in Spanky's Quest

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ICEknight
Rookie

Priority sprite/bg bugs in Spanky's Quest

Post by ICEknight »

Another problem I've noticed that still hasn't been fixed in the last years is that there seems to be some sprite/bg priorities going wrong in the intro scene of this game.

So there's this room with one column on each side, and the characters should appear behind them. Instead, they can be seen in front of them so the game will make these characters disappear suddenly once they were supossed not to be seen anymore.

Pics:
(The shadow should be partially cut by the column on the left)
(The rightmost fruit dude shouldn't be visible at this point)

Info:
---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
File: spanky.smc
Name: SPANKY QUEST Company: Natsume
Header: SWC Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No SRAM: 0 Kb
Type: Normal ROM: 4 Mb
ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0xC669 CRC32: CA68C5C3
--------------------------Database--------------------------
Name: Spanky's Quest
Port 1: Gamepad Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: Platform Genre 2: Arcade
zidanax
Rookie

Post by zidanax »

Um, I'm not sure what you mean. I tried this on a real SNES with my copier, and the game runs exactly as you describe. I don't think there's anything wrong with ZSNES' behavior.
Last edited by zidanax on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

zidanax, do you think you could look into the zombies sound "bug" as well on a real snes? I am curious to know if iceknight's other report is legit.
www.zapatabase.com
ICEknight
Rookie

Post by ICEknight »

It might help using a real cartridge to test if the bug is present... Anybody got one?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

ICEknight wrote:It might help using a real cartridge to test if the bug is present... Anybody got one?
Not to say too much about my knowledge of this game.. but I've really never heard of it.

Anyways, a real cart is not necessarily needed to reproduce said problem. Only if this game uses a special chip, is when the real cartridge is needed.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

link.. I was talking about the game the original poster was talking about. I doubt the bug post somewhat..

I wouldn't be surprised of the possible sprite priority bug though.. and the second bug about the guy supposed to be missing.. (could be a timing/execution issue or something)

But then again.. I've never played this on the real console, so I cannot validate such claims.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

So this is normal behavior for the game?
zidanax
Rookie

Post by zidanax »

pagefault wrote:So this is normal behavior for the game?
If my GDSF7 copier is to be trusted, then yes. I believe the behavior that ICEknight describes is actually what's supposed to happen.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Thats good, one less bug to fix.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Deathlike2 wrote:link.. I was talking about the game the original poster was talking about. I doubt the bug post somewhat..
D'oh, wrong thread, my bad :oops:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
ICEknight
Rookie

Post by ICEknight »

Hmm so the same bg layer seems to be used for both the background and the colums. I guess the real game must behave like that (although I doubt it was how the game planners wanted it to look).

Sorry for the bad report, then.