ZSNES WIP - Questions,bugs and a few minor requests

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

kick
Trooper

ZSNES WIP - Questions,bugs and a few minor requests

Post by kick »

A few questions about ZSNES,some bugs I found and a few minor requests
---------------------------------

1. Is there a decent list of documented SNES games that use the hi-res mode,pointing out which games use pseudo hi-res,standard hi-res (512x224) and true hi-res (512x448)?
I haven't seen anything using the maximum capability (512x448) so far.
Is there any game that uses any form of hi-res for the entire game,not just for displaying menus or logos?
Do all standard SNES games output video as interlaced or non-interlaced? In the case of the PSX,it outputs most games as interlaced,but some games that output non-interlaced at standard resolution,give the illusion of a quasi-"hires" image,where the image is sharper as in hi-res mode,but blocky due to the low resolution.
Does the SNES output some games like this and do all the filters work in this mode if it exists?

2. In ZSNES,even if you use 640x480 with the NTSC filter,with triple buffer and VSync ON,refresh at 60Hz,the lines are still not displayed evenly :(
(640x480 DR or DS F)
In NEStopia for example,everything is displayed correctly.for me.

3. Are you going to implement some kind of indicators next to the FPS display to tell whether a game uses normal or hi-res modes and what type of hi-res mode is used (pseudo or true)?
Something like a colored dot or letters like: N,P224,P448,H224 and H448.
At least,with Snes9x,I could see clearly when the resolution changes,by looking at the FPS display getting "squashed",but I could not see what kind of hi-res mode is being used.

4. One more thing: Are you ever going to implement menu navigation and input using a gamepad? That's the only major thing I miss in ZSNES.
Constantly changing from gamepad to keyboard/mouse to change roms or settings detracts from the otherwise great feeling,and gets annoying pretty fast.
Especially if you've set up a dedicated emulation/gaming box with TV output.
MAME32 at least enables you to select games with a gamepad.

5. There is one thing missing: The ability to map the TURBO (ZSNES speed throttle toggle key) to a gamepad button.Most gamepads now have at least 4 more buttons than what the SNES joypad has,and a quick key to skip all those lengthy intros right on the gamepad would be a great addition.

6. There is a bug with Tokimeki Memorial that corrupts the In bsnes it works great.

7. There are a couple of lines chopped off from the bottom of the display,To see this,load Killer Instinct in ZSNES and in bsnes and see how the little Rareware logo at the bottom left of the title screen is missing one line from the golden logo border and another one below it. bsnes doesn't have this bug - it displays it correctly.

8. There is a bug with the Nintendo/RARE logo intro sequence in KI and the rotating/flipping Mario image in SNES Test Program when the HQxX filter is enabled.Everything is flashing with thick "scanlines".

9. Has ZSNES ever passed the SNES Test Program's electronics test? It doesn't start at all in ZSNES. Works (and passes the test) in Snes9x and bsnes.

P.S. I didn't know where to post this,so if you think this belongs to another section of the forums,you can move this thread to where you think it may fit.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Is there a decent list of documented SNES games that use the hi-res mode,pointing out which games use pseudo hi-res,standard hi-res (512x224) and true hi-res (512x448)?
A list? Beats me. The most notable hires games are Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3.
Does the SNES output some games like this and do all the filters work in this mode if it exists?
Filters just don't work in hires for whatever the reason.. shader based filters will work, but will require a SM2 based video card.

In ZSNES,even if you use 640x480 with the NTSC filter,with triple buffer and VSync ON,refresh at 60Hz,the lines are still not displayed evenly
The latest WIP build doesn't have the NTSC filter totally implemented.. this will obviously be addressed in future WIPs

Are you going to implement some kind of indicators next to the FPS display to tell whether a game uses normal or hi-res modes and what type of hi-res mode is used (pseudo or true)?
If a filter is being used, you will see the FPS counter numbers being filtered as well. While using a hires screen, the filters don't work (literally) so you will see an unfiltered frame rate counter.

One more thing: Are you ever going to implement menu navigation and input using a gamepad? That's the only major thing I miss in ZSNES.
Constantly changing from gamepad to keyboard/mouse to change roms or settings detracts from the otherwise great feeling,and gets annoying pretty fast.
Already done... Misc-> GUI Options -> Use Joypad 1

There is one thing missing: The ability to map the TURBO (ZSNES speed throttle toggle key) to a gamepad button.Most gamepads now have at least 4 more buttons than what the SNES joypad has,and a quick key to skip all those lengthy intros right on the gamepad would be a great addition.
Been there done that... Config -> Speed -> Fast Forward

Although I have no gamepad to test, but if your controller has a gamepad ->keyboard mapping program, you just use that and map it properly...

As for the other questions I have not answered... I don't know the answers to.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

The only place I've seen 512x448 used is in the SNES Test Program.(the hi-res star and service mario patterns)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Games which uses hi-res (to the best of my knowledge, also not repeating what's already been said thus far):

Super Play Action Football
Donkey Kong Country 1 (title screen)
Dragonball Z Super Butoden 2-3 (iirc it's when you start it up in the black screen)
Treasure of the Rudras/Rudra's Treasure/Rudra no Hihou
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
byuu

Post by byuu »

RPM racing uses full 512x448.
Jurassic Park uses pseudo-hires 512x224.
SoM/SD3/RnH/GOD/Madara2/etc all use standard hires 512x224.

For what it's worth, hires and pseudo-hires are functionally identical. As is interlace in every mode (0-7). The SNES indexes the tiles in a different manner, but the actual video output is identical.

Displaying what mode the screen is using won't always work. Games like GOD switch modes mid-frame.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I think lufia 2's staff roll uses hires+interlace (512x448).
Also used in Bishoujo Wrestler Retsuden's intro.

Kirby's dream land 3 uses pseudo hires.
3. Are you going to implement some kind of indicators next to the FPS display to tell whether a game uses normal or hi-res modes and what type of hi-res mode is used (pseudo or true)?
Something like a colored dot or letters like: N,P224,P448,H224 and H448.
Not applicable, since most games use hires/interlace on a single layer/part of a layer, and use standard res elsewhere.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

byuu wrote:Jurassic Park uses pseudo-hires 512x224.
From my experience (and I know this game well) it doesn't. Not in the menus, gameplay or end credits. I've seen people mention this before, is there something I'm missing?

Also, Olivia's Mystery uses full 512x448 on the title screen. Fun little puzzle game, btw.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
byuu

Post by byuu »

Yep.

BG1+BG2+OAM blend with BG3.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:From my experience (and I know this game well) it doesn't. Not in the menus, gameplay or end credits. I've seen people mention this before, is there something I'm missing?
To clear things up:
Pseudo hires doubles H-res, but the screen still 'looks' 256x since every 2 pixels are merged back into one. Basically used to merge layers without using add/sub windows... (in kirby, it's used to make the water transparent).
Real hires actually doubles H-res and is very easy to spot (SoM, SD3, RnH, and so on).

(and Interlace doubles V-res independantly of hires)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

grinvader wrote:
blackmyst wrote:From my experience (and I know this game well) it doesn't. Not in the menus, gameplay or end credits. I've seen people mention this before, is there something I'm missing?
To clear things up:
Pseudo hires doubles H-res, but the screen still 'looks' 256x since every 2 pixels are merged back into one. Basically used to merge layers without using add/sub windows... (in kirby, it's used to make the water transparent).
Real hires actually doubles H-res and is very easy to spot (SoM, SD3, RnH, and so on).

(and Interlace doubles V-res independantly of hires)
Not entirely true. Pseudo-hires and true hires do exactly the same thing. The difference is how the SNES decides which tiles to load pixels from. Hires is more designed for true 512-width graphics, whereas pseudo-hires works far better as a 50% luminance trick.
But it's the same blending, either way. You really shouldn't be outputting pseudo-hires as 256-width, blargg has a perfect formula that works on both hires and pseudo-hires, where the output is still 512-width, and looks great on both. However, I'm sure people are going to complain that bsnes v0.016 and above's true hires graphics look like crap now, even though the graphics look far more authentic to what the real games looked like.