Super Mario RPG

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Tobias

Super Mario RPG

Post by Tobias »

Ive compared Zsnes with Snes9x now i love Zsnes any day but snes9x can run SMRPG without the few problems im sure were all aware of. 1 being the slowdown when too many sprites are on the screen and for this Mario game in particular: the invisible sprites when you enter any room with a title on it I.E.: "Item shop" "inn" "Toadstool's Room". also when you read text as you talk to people in the game you get these crazy squiggles around it.

Any thoughts on fixing this?
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Yep. Use Snes9x. ZSNES still has a number of bugs with the game, the two issues you spoke of are known.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: Super Mario RPG

Post by creaothceann »

Tobias wrote:slowdown when too many sprites are on the screen
Really? Both emulators should show the same behaviour. :?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I noticed zses being real sensitive about a lot of sprites onscreen. Noticable after the yellow switch palace in SMW when the yellow blocks are spitting out. This, ofcourse, doesn't happen on real SNES.
Jonas Quinn
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Jonas Quinn »

The slowdown issues are fixed in CVS.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ZSNES will still have issues with SA-1 as long as the counter stuff isn't in.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

creaothceann wrote:
Tobias wrote:slowdown when too many sprites are on the screen
Really? Both emulators should show the same behaviour. :?
There was some bug introduced in CVS where some areas caused a slowdowns when the original game did/should not experience it.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
-_pentium5.1_-
Lurker

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

Oh BTW, what is a realistic estimate for the CPU speed requirement for the new SA-1 emulation? (Some developer said 4GHz and then admitted that that was exaggerated.)
This signature intentionally contains no text other than this sentence.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

-_pentium5.1_- wrote:Some developer said 4GHz and then admitted that that was exaggerated.
That some developer was byuu. He was talking about Bsnes' SA-1 support.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
-_pentium5.1_-
Lurker

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

Um, I thought byuu said, "Holy crap! 4ghz+ with ZSNES? And this from an opcode-based core?" This was in response to pagefault saying, "I have a private build of ZSNES that will run Kirby's Dream Land 3 correctly, but it requires a 4GHz+ CPU." These are not the exact wordings. The "some developer" I meant was pagefault; sorry I didn't remember the first time around.

My question is: Once the SA-1 emulation in ZSNES is fully fixed, will my computer be able to run SMRPG/KDL3/etc. smoothly? See my sig. I'm willing to put up with just a little (auto) frameskip.
This signature intentionally contains no text other than this sentence.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Wait.. I thought it was pagefault that made a special ZSNES build with working SA-1, but needed a 4GHz CPU to run ? :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

-_pentium5.1_- wrote:My question is: Once the SA-1 emulation in ZSNES is fully fixed, will my computer be able to run SMRPG/KDL3/etc. smoothly? See my sig. I'm willing to put up with just a little (auto) frameskip.
Smooth? It doesn't look like it. A frame skip delay of 1 or 2 will probably be needed.
adventure_of_link wrote:Wait.. I thought it was pagefault that made a special ZSNES build with working SA-1, but needed a 4GHz CPU to run ?
I believe I said the speed was exaggerated.. not pagefault (pagefault threw the 4GHz number out though).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

SA-1 emulation will require a 2.8 ghz P4 or higher or a 2700+ Athlon XP to run at full speed with no filters and default sound settings as it is. Once the new 658c16 core comes in probably 3.2 will be required.
safaribans
Rookie

Post by safaribans »

Tobias wrote:Ive compared Zsnes with Snes9x now i love Zsnes any day but snes9x can run SMRPG without the few problems im sure were all aware of. 1 being the slowdown when too many sprites are on the screen and for this Mario game in particular: the invisible sprites when you enter any room with a title on it I.E.: "Item shop" "inn" "Toadstool's Room". also when you read text as you talk to people in the game you get these crazy squiggles around it.

Any thoughts on fixing this?
Hmm... Only trouble I run into is the game locks when I level up, music continues though...
And behind me is
the Whole Hole
It consumes
anything.
--Yomi (Terranigma)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

try either zsnes 1.36 or a 1.43 wip.

the locking up at the level up screen is a bug introduced into zsnes 1.42
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Jonas Quinn
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Jonas Quinn »

franpa wrote:try either zsnes 1.36 or a 1.43 wip.

the locking up at the level up screen is a bug introduced into zsnes 1.42
No, it was introduced in one of the WIPs.