Scanline issues for a complete noob (I've read the FAQ)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Dr_Spankenstein
Rookie

Scanline issues for a complete noob (I've read the FAQ)

Post by Dr_Spankenstein »

After reading the faq I found a question that seemed to fit in with what I am experiencing. My computer wont display scanlines properly at full screen and instead displays them at different intervals and of different thickness and brightness, it looks horrible.

The faq however, didnt really say much other than its a problem with your video card scaling the image but this doesnt shed any light on how to get around this.

I find this problem incredibly frustrating as I can get scanlines to show properly on another well known emulator (DOSBox).

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
...there's always something else needed.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I don't get this problem. A screenshot would help. What ZSNES version are you using?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Dr_Spankenstein
Rookie

This happens on my sisters' computer too. We both have totally different graphic cards (Geforce 2 MX and on board Intel based). I have tried it with a recent ATI Radeon card and still get the same results.

Please help!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

By the looks of things, you are using 1.42. Try the latest WIP and check if things get any better.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I really doubt a WIP has this changed. It is recommended you don't use the scale option in conjunction with scanlines anyhow.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Dr_Spankenstein
Rookie

Here I get the same problem again using WIP version and non-scaled mode.

Please help :(
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Resolution needs to be an exact multiple of 320x240 (i.e 680x480 or 1280x960). Doesn't need to be an R mode.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I could care less about scanlines personally.. however, you would benefit more from the NTSC filter IMO...

Try using the DR Win resolutions that are based off the base res of 256x224 (eg. 512x448, 768x672, etc.)

They appear to not exhibit said problem.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Dr_Spankenstein
Rookie

Unfortunately Clements those resolutions are prone to the same problem but the resolutions Deathlike2 mentioned work perfectly.

Is there any way to get these resolutions running at full screen?

The NTSC filter makes my monitor's display balls up.

Many thanks
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Unless your video card allows for defining custom res, probably not.

You will have to be using Windowed mode. This is better than nothing.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Dr_Spankenstein wrote:Unfortunately Clements those resolutions are prone to the same problem
Not for me:

Dr_Spankenstein
Rookie

Damn. It seems odd how I get the same problem with different graphics cards and monitors. I must have bad luck with these things.

At least I can look at that screen shot n hope...
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

the scanlines look crappy on mine too but instead of being like this guy's they're more... non-tv like. Like, nomatter the resolution, they'll always be every other line on my monitor so then there's more scanlines than should be. I use latest linux wip. Nvidia GF 5200 with nvidia's driver, Debian 3.1 unstable. Unfortunately I cant test it again until I can get back into linux :/.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Dr_Spankenstein wrote:Unfortunately Clements those resolutions are prone to the same problem but the resolutions Deathlike2 mentioned work perfectly.

Is there any way to get these resolutions running at full screen?
If you tried to stretch them to full screen it would cause the same problem again.

Also, if 640x480 does not make the scanlines look correct, I think it's probably your system.
The NTSC filter makes my monitor's display balls up.

Many thanks
Define balls up? If you mean fuzzy, bleeding color all over the place and flickery, well, that's the whole point of the NTSC filter. It's an aquired taste. :P
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Dr_Spankenstein
Rookie

Yup thats what the NTSC filter does to my picture.

Consider me one of those people without the required pallet to enjoy this particular filter.
darkfalz
Rookie

Post by darkfalz »

I fixed it ages ago so that 640x480 and 1280x960 use borders to make the scanlines look correct in these modes only (my one and only contribution to ZSNES, hooray). You can't use them in any other mode.

Personally I believe it should always be stretched this way (to 448/480 of the height), but others disagree, I'm happy with the implementation so long as I get my nice scanlines.
byuu

Post by byuu »

darkfalz wrote:Personally I believe it should always be stretched this way (to 448/480 of the height), but others disagree, I'm happy with the implementation so long as I get my nice scanlines.
Don't worry, I agree completely :)
I always scale to an even multiple of 224, and then scale the width to an even aspect ratio. Looks fantastic :D