Hard drive catches on fire

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

snkcube
Hero of Time

Hard drive catches on fire

Post by snkcube »

Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

haha maxtor

EDIT: That takes Maxtor'd to a whole new level :P
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

I know what a pain it can be to have something malfunction like that. I was installing Windows XP and the DVD drive spun so fast that the installation CD shattered, I had to disassemble the drive to remove the hundreds of small fragments preventing the drive from even opening. I was pissed considering how much I paid for that OS. So now if anything goes wrong with my setup I will have to buy a new OS CD.

P.S. I wish mythbusters had my DVD drive to test out that myth, considering the OS CD was completely brand new. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTuSnZF8kek
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

bobthebuilder - As long as you have your product key, the rest doesn't matter. Borrow a friend's/relative's/whatever's copy of the SAME version (Home/Pro/MCE/Tablet, OEM/Retail/Upgrade/Volume) and burn it. Your key will work just fine as long as it's the same version (service pack level doesn't matter).

And yeah, shattering CDs suck. There's nothing worse then hearing a drive ramp up and then that horrible *CRACK* sound... except for maybe when you eject the tray and little shards of plastic and aluminum foil rain down!
Cecil
Paladin

Post by Cecil »

HDD's catching on fire I've heard of. But exploding cd's? :shock: Fuck, that's insane! Though it does make sense for it to happen if a cd spins that fast.
System Specs:

2.2GHz Athlon64 X2 4400+, 2GB DDR 400 SDRAM
EVGA Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Realtek AC '97
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

If there are any minor cracks in the disc, especially near the center hub, the amount of force provided when the disc is spinning that fast can actually be enough to literally rip the disc apart. I've seen it happen twice firsthand, both times in the shop with customers' old, beat-up discs. It's a damn mess, but the drive usually survives just fine as long as the lens's ribbon cable isn't damaged and nothing gets jammed in the drive motor.

If any of your CDs or DVDs are starting to crack, copy 'em or replace 'em, especially if you don't ever want to take an optical drive apart to clean it.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I've never had a CD or DVD shatter on me, but I have microwaved them to destroy them. And I've seen the aftermath of a similar failure to that hard drive on my uncle's PC. I still have the photo somewheres, but there was a burn mark about an half an inch long going from the center of the chip and accross the board. We also had 2 PC's at work with motherboards or header cards that met similar fates.

EDIT:
Found the photo.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

it is cases like this that make me anal about regular backups to dvd.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

AntoineWG wrote:HD Photo
That by any chance wasnt a Quantum Fireball was it? :lol:
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

That's not reassuring considering I have Maxtor DiamondMax 10. Though I have another Maxtor from around 5 years ago and another from around 7 and they are still going. There are a lot of mixed oppinions about maxtor but I have yet to have one fail on me.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

I remember seeing you post that picture some time ago Antoine, that's why I wasn't too shocked by this story.
~Bent
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Cyrus wrote:That's not reassuring considering I have Maxtor DiamondMax 10. Though I have another Maxtor from around 5 years ago and another from around 7 and they are still going. There are a lot of mixed oppinions about maxtor but I have yet to have one fail on me.
That post is the kiss of death.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

SquareHead wrote:
What gave it away? The Quantum logo or the fact that it actually produced a fireball?

And yeah, I posted that picture about 2 years ago, according to the header on the photo.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

AntoineWG wrote:
SquareHead wrote:
What gave it away? The Quantum logo or the fact that it actually produced a fireball?

And yeah, I posted that picture about 2 years ago, according to the header on the photo.
I swear, these things are a fucking liability. It seems that it's a really serious design fault. Look closely, it started burning at the same spot.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Damn!

Yeah. I'd say that's definitely a design flaw with that chip. Did that start the rest of the PC on fire by any chance?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Nah, luckily it didn't expand past the hdd itself. But shit still, heh. Funnily, I think that happened roughly 2 years ago...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
mewtwo064
Rookie

Post by mewtwo064 »

odditude wrote:If there are any minor cracks in the disc, especially near the center hub, the amount of force provided when the disc is spinning that fast can actually be enough to literally rip the disc apart. I've seen it happen twice firsthand, both times in the shop with customers' old, beat-up discs. It's a damn mess, but the drive usually survives just fine as long as the lens's ribbon cable isn't damaged and nothing gets jammed in the drive motor.

If any of your CDs or DVDs are starting to crack, copy 'em or replace 'em, especially if you don't ever want to take an optical drive apart to clean it.
O_O; It's a good thing I made a copy of my computer's driver CD then >.>; Cuz it had a crack that reached half way down the cd (not far enough to damage the data though), I never knew they could just explode like that ._.;
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Is it true that Maxtor had bought Quantum in the past?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

SquareHead wrote:Is it true that Maxtor had bought Quantum in the past?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Co ... sformation
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list