Post v1.42 ZSNES WIPs

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Stifu wrote:
EMu-LoRd wrote:Thanks! This makes me feel better... Personally I use these 'classic' filters a lot and prefer them over the newer ones. HQ2/3/4x are very nice too though :)
Those filter bugs are probably all Mode7 or other special effect related...
And I bet they'll be fixed when they rework the filter support of the emu, which will also make it possible to combine filters and high-res Mode7 or high-res fonts, finally.
Are either of you using integrated graphics cards and/or using Hires Mode 7? Because I don't see the any of the aforementioned problems.

Also, you should have deleted the cfg+dat files (though the dat file is not in use anymore) to prevent potential incompatibilities.

mastershake1, did you make sure you delete the obj files before you compiled? Also, try deleting the cfg file to start clean. I do not experience your issue.[/quote]
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Anyone else having garbled sound or a crash after loading a saved state? Saved states created with this version work fine but older ones don't.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Cobra wrote:Anyone else having garbled sound or a crash after loading a saved state? Saved states created with this version work fine but older ones don't.
Please do not use savestates between different versions. They are simply incompatible due to core changes.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
mastershake1
Rookie

Post by mastershake1 »

Deathlike2 wrote:mastershake1, did you make sure you delete the obj files before you compiled? Also, try deleting the cfg file to start clean. I do not experience your issue.
I compiled on a system with no previous zget build so there were no object files, and likewise there was no previous cfg file in my zsnes directory.

I'll post an sram file in a few.

Edit: link to sram: http://rapidshare.de/files/31951965/Sei ... _3__J_.srm

Steps to reproduce: Use the second save. exit the inn, when in the town go into the in-game menu. I'm not able to consistently reproduce the crash. Sometimes the hang occurs on the first time you leave the menu, sometimes it takes a few times.
Last edited by mastershake1 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

My only other suggestion is the compile w/o optimizations or compile a non-release build and see if that makes a difference.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote:Are either of you using integrated graphics cards and/or using Hires Mode 7? Because I don't see the any of the aforementioned problems.

Also, you should have deleted the cfg+dat files (though the dat file is not in use anymore) to prevent potential incompatibilities.
I have tried 2 other PCs including my own, they all have standalone videocards (GeForce3, ATi X600 etc.) all with the latest drivers available. It could be that these artifacts are better visible on LCD screens as they appear on the borders of the screen with these filters (CRT tends to not show everything when not correctly set). I was using the newest WIP released today (September 4) with fresh new config files.
Last edited by ShadowFX on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

Deathlike2 wrote:Are either of you using integrated graphics cards and/or using Hires Mode 7?
Neither.
Deathlike2 wrote:Also, you should have deleted the cfg+dat files (though the dat file is not in use anymore) to prevent potential incompatibilities.
I always delete all the config files.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Stifu wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Are either of you using integrated graphics cards and/or using Hires Mode 7?
Neither.
Deathlike2 wrote:Also, you should have deleted the cfg+dat files (though the dat file is not in use anymore) to prevent potential incompatibilities.
I always delete all the config files.
I see the CT bug.. hmm. I doubt much of the filter code has changed. As for the triple buffering bug.. it seems to be related to the 2xsai series of modes. I'll look into this.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote:I see the CT bug.. hmm. I doubt much of the filter code has changed. As for the triple buffering bug.. it seems to be related to the 2xsai series of modes. I'll look into this.
I prefer to call it 2xSai filter variants bug. It seems the garbage that is created on the bottom of the screen while toggeling Triple Buffering is caused when one of these filters is ON.

The other side screen bug (CT etc.) is only visible when graphics are placed on the right and bottom borders of the screen and are moved away.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

EMu-LoRd wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:I see the CT bug.. hmm. I doubt much of the filter code has changed. As for the triple buffering bug.. it seems to be related to the 2xsai series of modes. I'll look into this.
I prefer to call it 2xSai filter variants bug. It seems the garbage that is created on the bottom of the screen while toggeling Triple Buffering is caused when one of these filters is ON, too.
It appears to be an off-by-1 issue... if you turn it on and off, you will see the screen "move" to the left by one... if you've enabled GUI filtering, look at the X, and that'll be readily apparent.

The triple buffering issue is a minor oversight, and will be corrected in SVN within 5 minutes.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Sorry, I edited my previous post a bit. But I believe it is all clear to you now 8)
mastershake1
Rookie

Post by mastershake1 »

Deathlike2: I've been able to reproduce the SD3 problem using builds with and without release grade/CPU optimizations.

Just to make sure I'm being clear, the in-game menu I was talking about is the one with status/magic/etc, not the wheel menu where you can select items. Maybe my SRAM file is borked or something?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

mastershake1 wrote:Deathlike2: I've been able to reproduce the SD3 problem using builds with and without release grade/CPU optimizations.

Just to make sure I'm being clear, the in-game menu I was talking about is the one with status/magic/etc, not the wheel menu where you can select items. Maybe my SRAM file is borked or something?
I dunno, but I'm not experiencing that issue from your srm file. Tried it in town and on the fields. No crash whatsoever. You need something more reproducable (mention what settings you have enabled/disabled from the default settings).
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

The black omen in the CT intro is not displayed correctly in the latest WIP. I don't know if that's a known problem, I just know that this problem has been recurrent in the past...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Stifu wrote:The black omen in the CT intro is not displayed correctly in the latest WIP. I don't know if that's a known problem, I just know that this problem has been recurrent in the past...
It's always known. Unfortunately that is a symptom of the aligned variables inherited from the ASM. It comes and goes... there is no rhyme or reason.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

I should have posted this bug separately earlier:

Another bug I came across today is when setting Scanlines (all 3 are affected) in conjunction with Force 4:3, the screen doesn't receive the proper aspect ratio.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Scanlines+Triple Buffering issue both fixed in SVN now.
mastershake1
Rookie

Post by mastershake1 »

Deathlike2 wrote:I dunno, but I'm not experiencing that issue from your srm file. Tried it in town and on the fields. No crash whatsoever. You need something more reproducable (mention what settings you have enabled/disabled from the default settings).
No problem...

The only changes that I've made are video settings: 640x480 DS, Interpolation and VSync on, Keep43ratio on as well. ZSNES doesn't crash, but the game appears to hang for a while.

If it's not reproducible I'll assume that there's something weird on my end. Oh well.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Were you trying to load the game from a savestate or something of the sort?
mastershake1
Rookie

Post by mastershake1 »

Deathlike2 wrote:Were you trying to load the game from a savestate or something of the sort?
No, I haven't been using save states, just SRAM files. The strange thing is that the game loads and plays just fine - it just hangs when I leave the in-game menu.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

I'm not sure if I'm overdoing it a bit with these 2 GUI bugs, but I'll report them just in case (I know they're not too important if compared with emulation bugs):

- Place the mouse at the very top of the screen, now hold the left mouse button. This way mouse cannot be moved.

- The cursor blinking in the Paths window is way too fast. Compare it with the cursor blinking in the Load window.

With this, I think it's enough GUI bugs for me for awhile unless I actually find a critical one.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

EMu-LoRd wrote:I'm not sure if I'm overdoing it a bit with these 2 GUI bugs, but I'll report them just in case (I know they're not too important if compared with emulation bugs):

- Place the mouse at the very top of the screen, now hold the left mouse button. This way mouse cannot be moved.
Normal behavior. If you are using a Windowed mode, the purpose of doing that will be more clear to you.
- The cursor blinking in the Paths window is way too fast. Compare it with the cursor blinking in the Load window.
Consistancy would be nice, but really, it's not gonna explode on you or anything is it? :P
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote:- The cursor blinking in the Paths window is way too fast. Compare it with the cursor blinking in the Load window.

Consistancy would be nice, but really, it's not gonna explode on you or anything is it? :P
I'm leaving it in your capable hands, and no... it's not a big deal if it stays the way it is. Although it seems I probably like consistancy as you do 8)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm unable to test the DOS port for the 2xsai series of filters.. but initial analysis of the Windows port is that the 2xsai issue has been there as far back as 1.20 Windows port.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

I noticed this back when I was using versions 1.3x, although I never reported it because I thought I would only bother the developers with it.