Windows ZSNES problems.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Dagdamus

Windows ZSNES problems.

Post by Dagdamus »

Im using a keyboard to play ZSNES. If im moving my little guy on screen sometimes he will keep moving for a second or two after Ive stopped pressing the button to move. Also, sometimes the keys dont respond at all for 1 or two seconds. For instance,when playing FF5, sometimes when Im trying to navigate the menus the selection finger flickers all over the place. This happens constantly and it can make it difficult to play some games. Basically a control issue I guess but it could be something different. Any help?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

What ZSNES version are you using?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Dagdamus

Post by Dagdamus »

The latest one...1.42
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Delete the .cfg+.dat files ZSNES generates and see if that helps.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Dagdamus wrote:The latest one...1.42
That's not the latest one, counting ipher's wips :P

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 4983#94983

I insist on updating the damn front page, man.
_-|-_
Dagdamus

Post by Dagdamus »

Okay I did some experimenting of my own and the problem seems to revolve around vsync. Im not much involved with the community here so I dont know if that was a known issue or not.

Am I better off goin with the WIP to play my games?

Thanks for the help.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Dagdamus wrote:Okay I did some experimenting of my own and the problem seems to revolve around vsync. Im not much involved with the community here so I dont know if that was a known issue or not.

Am I better off goin with the WIP to play my games?

Thanks for the help.
Try triple buffering as well. In any case, you don't need vsync unless you experience visual tearing. It's not really a ZSNES issue though.

The WIPs probably won't solve your issue, but the WIPs might help and are much better than 1.42.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

Deathlike2 wrote:Delete the .cfg+.dat files ZSNES generates and see if that helps.
I got little problem with that.

After deleting ".dat" file, i can't run ZSNES (1.42 win) IF desktop color is set to 32 bpp. It'll just displaying black box window, mouse+keyboard in not responsive (no alt-tab, hang i guess..., RESET button in order...).

But, if I set desktop color to 16 bpp ZSNES WILL run and give the "FIRST TIME" dialog box (hit SPACE BAR and so on...). So, i took the oportuity, set it to full-screen mode, exit ZSNES, set desktop color to 32 bpp again, then ZSNES will start normally.

This (the black box) not happening from the very old ZSNES version (0.6xx).

latest driver from nvidia (geforce TI 4200); dx-9c.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Rashidi wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Delete the .cfg+.dat files ZSNES generates and see if that helps.
I got little problem with that.

After deleting ".dat" file, i can't run ZSNES (1.42 win) IF desktop color is set to 32 bpp. It'll just displaying black box window, mouse+keyboard in not responsive (no alt-tab, hang i guess..., RESET button in order...).

But, if I set desktop color to 16 bpp ZSNES WILL run and give the "FIRST TIME" dialog box (hit SPACE BAR and so on...). So, i took the oportuity, set it to full-screen mode, exit ZSNES, set desktop color to 32 bpp again, then ZSNES will start normally.

This (the black box) not happening from the very old ZSNES version (0.6xx).

latest driver from nvidia (geforce TI 4200); dx-9c.
There is already something in the docs that explains what you have to do to address this. If you do attempt to use ZSNES while using 32-bit, IIRC, ZSNES attempts to use a 16-bit backbuffer while you are using a 32-bit screen. Of course, if your hardware/drivers don't support this, it fails rather ungracefully. Blame your video drivers (you still haven't mentioned what exact version of your video drivers you are using.. "latest driver" is vague).

ZSNES version (.6xx) IIRC was primarily DOS, so this would never be an issue.