Start a rom using zsnesw with a command line?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

PiNPOiNT

Start a rom using zsnesw with a command line?

Post by PiNPOiNT »

Every time i try and use zsnesw.exe to run a rom from a command line, it pauses to think for a sec then just goes back to the dos prompt. Is it possible to run a rom off of zsnesw on a command line?
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

whats the point of running a windows only program in a console? Try the dos version.

Or just make a simple lnk file.
_-|-_
yournamehere

Post by yournamehere »

MisterJones wrote:whats the point of running a windows only program in a console? Try the dos version.

Or just make a simple lnk file.
If it doesn't work in a DOS box, it's not going to work in a shortcut. And if you're fishing for a parameter, it's easier to do in a DOS box than repeatedly editing a shortcut until you find what you're looking for.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

ZSNES is picky. You have to switch to the directory containing ZSNES first.

CD "C:\Program Files\ZSNES\"
ZSNES.EXE "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SNES\Super Mario World (U) [!].smc"

or

ZSNES.EXE %1

I can't really understand why this behavior persists. I've told the developers how annoying it is to make programs that launch ZSNES.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

yournamehere - Dos box is there strictly for console/msdos applications. Zsnesw.exe is a windows only software, which obviously requires different elements to be displayed (directx specially), while dos programs usually have that cspdwi (sp?) package.

Ichinisan - Zsnes.exe is not the only one that suffers this behaviour. This is pretty common to happend in a lot of dos applications (my experience dealing with mugen and mpq2k had thaught me something). Main problem is that the program is run under the folder from which was called from, not from where it is located. I have never programmed in dos, so I don't know how to make a work around for thsi horrible standard behaviour.
_-|-_
yournamehere

Post by yournamehere »

MisterJones wrote:yournamehere - Dos box is there strictly for console/msdos applications. Zsnesw.exe is a windows only software, which obviously requires different elements to be displayed (directx specially), while dos programs usually have that cspdwi (sp?) package.
Yes, but... even since Windows 3.1 running on top of DOS, specifying a windows executable in a dos prompt will launch the Windows program, exactly the same as if you'd used the Windows icon.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

MisterJones wrote:yournamehere - Dos box is there strictly for console/msdos applications. Zsnesw.exe is a windows only software, which obviously requires different elements to be displayed (directx specially), while dos programs usually have that cspdwi (sp?) package.

Ichinisan - Zsnes.exe is not the only one that suffers this behaviour. This is pretty common to happend in a lot of dos applications (my experience dealing with mugen and mpq2k had thaught me something). Main problem is that the program is run under the folder from which was called from, not from where it is located. I have never programmed in dos, so I don't know how to make a work around for thsi horrible standard behaviour.
Wrong.

As yournamehere stated, he was testing command-line parameters from the command line. Not only does zsnesw support parameters, it even has it's own exclusive options (including netplay). Because both zsnes (dos) and zsnesw require you to switch directories before executing with a ROM path specified, there is no way to make an adequate shortcut file. There are workarounds, like creating a shortcut to a batch file, but they all have limitations.

I encountered the same problems with my Tetris Attack Puzzle Editor, though I was able to work-around the problems.

You thought he was talking about DOSBox, the emulator?
ieremiou
Rookie

Post by ieremiou »

*chuckles* So people are now confusing the old DOS box (command prompt window) with DOSBox now? hehe... that's a new one on me.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

As yournamehere stated, he was testing command-line parameters from the command line.
Ichinisan wrote:Not only does zsnesw support parameters, it even has it's own exclusive options (including netplay).
I never said the opposite.
Ichinisan wrote: Because both zsnes (dos) and zsnesw require you to switch directories before executing with a ROM path specified, there is no way to make an adequate shortcut file.
Are you sure zsnes does suffer from this same problem? I tried the following in the run command:

Code: Select all

C:\Emulators\SuperNes\zsnesw.exe "C:\Emulators\7th Saga.zip"
And worked fine, my configuration was loaded from the zsnes folder. i will try messing with another parameters later.

Ichinisan wrote: You thought he was talking about DOSBox, the emulator?
No, but I did mixed up functionality. I apologize for that.
_-|-_
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

MisterJones wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:As yournamehere stated, he was testing command-line parameters from the command line.

Not only does zsnesw support parameters, it even has it's own exclusive options (including netplay).
MisterJones wrote:Dos box is there strictly for console/msdos applications.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

A shortcut to ZSNES will work fine, but a shortcut with a specified ROM image file will not.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Ichinisan wrote:
MisterJones wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:As yournamehere stated, he was testing command-line parameters from the command line.

Not only does zsnesw support parameters, it even has it's own exclusive options (including netplay).
My statement (which was after all innacurate) had nothing to do with the fact that windows apps couldn't have parameters.
MisterJones wrote:A shortcut to ZSNES will work fine, but a shortcut with a specified ROM image file will not.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I already said that adding the rom path worked fine, and the config was loaded from zsnes dir, not the rom dir. I put the same in a shortcut and worked fine. I put a shortcut with just
the %1 and dragged and dropped the rom over the shrocut and still worked. Again, I am not sure what are you trying to say, so I probably misunderstood your point.
_-|-_
PGN-X
Rookie

Post by PGN-X »

I got no idea wat u are all on about so im gonna go eat some brownies :)
DarkDragoon
Soul Hacker

Post by DarkDragoon »

Good for you.
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, deep in space and time
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, forever in your mind
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive
'cause if you try, you can do anything
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

MisterJones wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:
MisterJones wrote:

My statement (which was after all innacurate) had nothing to do with the fact that windows apps couldn't have parameters.
MisterJones wrote:A shortcut to ZSNES will work fine, but a shortcut with a specified ROM image file will not.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I already said that adding the rom path worked fine, and the config was loaded from zsnes dir, not the rom dir. I put the same in a shortcut and worked fine. I put a shortcut with just
the %1 and dragged and dropped the rom over the shrocut and still worked. Again, I am not sure what are you trying to say, so I probably misunderstood your point.
Did your shortcut file reside in a different directory? Or did you leave it in the ZSNES folder when you tested it?

Was the ROM image file in the same folder as ZSNES?
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Did your shortcut file reside in a different directory? Or did you leave it in the ZSNES folder when you tested it?
Different folder.
Was the ROM image file in the same folder as ZSNES?
The same answer than above.

Tried already enclosing the path within quotes? I suppose you do, but if not, then remember any space makes it already another parameter.
_-|-_