Post v1.42 ZSNES WIPs

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

is the next version actually going to be 1.43? for all the changes that have been implemented, they could safely jump up to something higher. maybe even 1.5
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

sweener2001 wrote:is the next version actually going to be 1.43? for all the changes that have been implemented, they could safely jump up to something higher. maybe even 1.5
That's already been discussed, and they said that it's their call, and that they never said the next version is going to be v1.43... Despite the WIPs being called pre 1.43 versions. O_o
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

It's just a placeholder. The WIP documentation currently has 1.43 as the version number as well, but we will update it as soon as the next version number has been decided.
Gothicall

Post by Gothicall »

OK, BUT THIS NEW VERSION CAN RUN THE OLD SAVE STATES (FROM ZSNES 1.42)? THE SEPTEMBER 4 VERSION CAN'T RUN THIS GOOD
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

NO FORGET IT ITS NOT POSSIBLE
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Never assume that saves states work across different versions. This is due to the constant core changes. And yes, such compatibility will never happen.
There's SRAM saves. Use them.

Stop posting in caps too.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

WIPTIME!

ALL: Cleaned up GZip reader. GZip reader now also support transparent reading, namely a regular file with a .gz extension for no apparent reason. [Nach]
ALL: Commenting out Battlemaniacs fix because it breaks way too much. [Nach]
ALL: Fixed IPS hint not being shown under a particular circumstance. [Deathlike]
ALL: Fixed prevpicture display for DSP-1 games. Cleaned up some stuff in DSP-1 and DSP-2 loading. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Fixed silly mistake with size adjustment of IPS patches. [Nach]
ALL: Make sure passing string_merge() a buffer pointer to null doesn't crash. [Nach]
ALL: Standardized names on arrays containing paths. Note to reset your SRAM path after this commit. [Nach]
ALL: Slot level is now updated properly while increment/decrement savestates are in use. [Deathlike]
DOS: DOS exit no longer takes shortcuts and skips atexit() on DOS. [Nach]
DOS: Fixed a bug with trailing \ passed to access() under good ol' DOS. [Nach]
DOS: Fixed anything related to port 209 in the DOS port. Lots of clean up. [Deathlike]
DOS: Reverted to a workaround previously implemented in r1436 to rid of the snow in DOS. Only affects Gaussian at the moment. [Deathlike]
DOS: This should fix joystick problems in DOS. For some reason, the internal settings were not aligned correctly. [Deathlike]
DOS: This should fix the 8 button controller option and Parallel LPT2 P2 option. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed the shadow in the F3 menu. [Jonas Quinn]
GUI: GUI state selection now also allows number quick keys. [Deathlike]
GUI: Hopefully fixed GUI savestate selection via numpad keys. [Deathlike]
GUI: Revamped the Video window [ipher] [Deathlike]
GUI: The blink rate change on the GUIInputBoxNach is now once every 30 frames. [Nach]
GUI: This should correctly fix the GUI state selection while using the mouse. [Deathlike]
GUI: Deathlike has been added to the About box [Nach]
SDL: Even better privledge dropping. Now if getlogin() returns, ZSNES running as root will launch browser as the user that logged in. [Nach]
SDL: Fixed display of Keep4_3Ratio option for SDL and redid some code for consistency. [Deathlike]
SDL: SDL port gets the Custom Res good loving too.. and now Keep4_3Ratio is available as a GUI option. [Deathlike]
SDL: Changing the size of the window while in the Filters tab will now update the HQx and hires options. [Deathlike]
W_D: Debug mode in DOS/Windows writes to stdout.txt and stderr.txt. [Nach]
W_D: Fix some issues on MS OSs. [Nach]
W_S: Can now edit custom resolution from the GUI. [Nach]
WIN: Now GUITextBoxInputNach can accept ctrl+v to paste clipboard contents in Windows. [Nach]
SRC: Source cleanup and maintainance, fixed lots of warnings. [Nach] [Deathlike] [Jonas Quinn]
SRC: Updated install instructions to match latest SVN closer. [Nach]
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Thanks a bunch once again.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
jsnake
Rookie

Post by jsnake »

ipher wrote: W_S: Can now edit custom resolution from the GUI. [Nach]
Fucking A.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Thanks. :)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Master O
Hazed

Post by Master O »

I guess the chances of getting World Class Rugby to work properly in Zsnes seem more and more remote as time passes....
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Master O wrote:I guess the chances of getting World Class Rugby to work properly in Zsnes seem more and more remote as time passes....
Are you basing that statement on the fact(?) that it hasn't yet been fixed?

Because, on the contrary, as more time passes, ZSNES becomes more accurate, and thus is more likely to work with World Class Rugby.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Master O
Hazed

Post by Master O »

Jipcy wrote:
Master O wrote:I guess the chances of getting World Class Rugby to work properly in Zsnes seem more and more remote as time passes....
Are you basing that statement on the fact(?) that it hasn't yet been fixed?

Because, on the contrary, as more time passes, ZSNES becomes more accurate, and thus is more likely to work with World Class Rugby.
It was probably more out of impatience.
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....
roothorick

Post by roothorick »

Netplay appears disabled in the WIPs. The only option I see is "Internet", and it's grayed out. Sorry if it's been asked before, but anyone have an explanation? I thought netplay was working again as of 1.42n, figured the WIPs would have at least theoretically working network play.

ALSO

I'm running Gentoo Linux 2006.0, zlib 1.2.3. I had to hack the Makefile (produced by autoconf/automake) to get WIP 10/12 to build. The hack was to explicitly include /usr/lib/libz.a instead of defaulting to the .so. It may be just my system, but the .so (shared library) was missing symbol "gzdirect", while the .a (static library) had it. With the hacked makefile, it built without a hitch, and so far is MORE stable than 1.42 on my system. (1.42 had weird blackout problems if I'd switch windows away from it while windowed, the WIP does not.)

ALSO

In case you didn't know, Earthworm Jim 2 still has audio problems and crashing.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I thought pagefault told me he added the HDMA during DMA fix, that should've corrected World Class Rugby. If not, kill any DMA channels that have an HDMA occur on that same channel. Same for HDMA init as regular HDMA; and your game of affection should work fine.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

roothorick wrote:Netplay appears disabled in the WIPs. The only option I see is "Internet", and it's grayed out. Sorry if it's been asked before, but anyone have an explanation? I thought netplay was working again as of 1.42n, figured the WIPs would have at least theoretically working network play.

ALSO

I'm running Gentoo Linux 2006.0, zlib 1.2.3. I had to hack the Makefile (produced by autoconf/automake) to get WIP 10/12 to build. The hack was to explicitly include /usr/lib/libz.a instead of defaulting to the .so. It may be just my system, but the .so (shared library) was missing symbol "gzdirect", while the .a (static library) had it. With the hacked makefile, it built without a hitch, and so far is MORE stable than 1.42 on my system. (1.42 had weird blackout problems if I'd switch windows away from it while windowed, the WIP does not.)

ALSO

Read the first thread title in the Netplay forum.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

roothorick wrote:Netplay appears disabled in the WIPs. The only option I see is "Internet", and it's grayed out. Sorry if it's been asked before, but anyone have an explanation? I thought netplay was working again as of 1.42n, figured the WIPs would have at least theoretically working network play.
If you read the WIP logs, it has been removed for now. A rewrite of netplay needs to be done.

Gentoo.. ugh. The problem is the compile zlib you have (the .so file). Acquire zlib 1.2.3 from the zlib website and recompile from source.
Yes, we already do. That is probably because of the SPC core (and probably timing).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

ALSO

ALSO

The .so problem is a known issue; I filed a bug on the Gentoo bugzilla about it and have not gotten a response yet after pointing out where the issue lay.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

For those of you that don't use zget, take a look at some new WIP docs: http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/wip/.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

After many days of personal delays....

11/12/06 - Revision # 4049
ALL: Reverted a fix for joystick 2 because it broke some games. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Updated the bg scroll registers. Michael Jordan - Chaos in the Windy City is fixed. Thanks to byuu for the information. [Jonas Quinn]
ALL: Player 2's default up key is now "J" instead of "K" (for your sanity). Also, the Keyboard/Gamepad option for the non-DOS ports has its option name expanded. [Deathlike]
ALL: Seta 11 support. Thanks anonymous donor and Jonas Quinn. [Nach]
ALL: Removed the "extra box" when clock or FPS counter is in use. Beware of the stack! [Deathlike]
ALL: Improved support for SRAM concerning second ST cart. [Nach]
ALL: Now got mapping done correctly for dual ST, no more special attack crashing. Note this code is messy and some things can be handled better. [Nach, Jonas Quinn]
W_S: Added more restrictions to the Set Custom Res button. The resolution is set+changed only when the res inputted is within the possible min/max. Also, when the button sets a resolution that is less than 298x224, it will automatically turn off Keep4_3Ratio. [Deathlike]
W_S: Fix the HQx mode from changing or possibly crashing ZSNES when toggling VSync or Triple Buffering. [Deathlike]
WIN: Removed resolution resizing while using the NTSC filter under a Windowed mode. [Deathlike]
SDL: Fixed weird battery stats on Linux with some strange Dell laptops. Thanks Dan for testing. [Nach]
SDL: Battery support for FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, and FreeBSD derivitives such as Debian's kFreeBSD. [Nach]
SDL: Battery code now works for Mac OS X too. [drizztbsd, Nach]
SDL: Fixes for Mac OS X. [Nach]
SDL: Make stack non executable for ELF. Thanks drizztbsd. [Nach]
SDL: Made touch usage more compatible, also upped zlib version requirement. [Nach]
SDL: 1024x896 ODR W should have been able to use HQ2x in the first place. [Deathlike]
SDL: Fixed display for OpenGL modes for pressing the "+" button in the GUI state selection screen and frame/auto-frame skip screen. Some archaic code cleanup. [Deathlike]
DOS: Cleaning up handling of input in zloader. Can now set via command line player 1 and 2 to any input in DOS. [Nach]
MOV: Always delete old MZTs when creating a new ZMV. [Nach]
MOV: Fixed crash when recording a movie from reset. [Nach]
MOV: Movie appending now works if append data is there (basically there if you create a movie after this commit). [Nach]
MOV: Some cleanup to movie related code. Movie stopping is now prepped to allow appending. [Nach]
MOV: MZTs naming improvement, as well as code cleanup. Can now use 100 states there too. [Nach]
GUI: Now selected input is highlighted in input selection box. [Nach, Jonas Quinn]
GUI: For the sake of the GUI, some reordering had to be done. While doing this, I have unleashed the untested 5th player option for the parallel port. Make sure to reset your gamepad selection in the DOS port. [Deathlike]
GUI: Fixed a cosmetical issue in the F3 menu after hitting up or down. [Jonas Quinn]
GUI: Pgup/Pgdown now increments/decrements the GUI state slot loader. [Deathlike]
GUI: Slot level selection is now available for the GUI save selector. [Deathlike]
SRC: statefileloc is dead. Now ZSTs numbers are handled nicely [Deathlike, Nach]
SRC: Code Cleanup/Trimming/Optimization [Nach, Jonas Quinn, Deathlike]
SRC: Optimizations to deinterleave code. Fixed a minor issue with split ROMs. [Nach]
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Great job devs!
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

ipher wrote:GUI: Now selected input is highlighted in input selection box. [Nach, Jonas Quinn]
Thank you! This should prevent some of these problems (although I assume the fix was in direct response to that thread).
GUI: For the sake of the GUI, some reordering had to be done. [Deathlike]
What does this mean, and/or where is it visible?
Ryusan

Post by Ryusan »

Always the freeze bug in Equinox (U) & (E) versions in the new WIP when i take an item (as an apple by example). Also bug with mode-7 on the atlas :

Image Image

(all options by default with a fresh installation of the new Zsnes WIP for Windows. And yes, i know that these bugs are known !!)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Jipcy wrote:
ipher wrote:GUI: Now selected input is highlighted in input selection box. [Nach, Jonas Quinn]
Thank you! This should prevent some of these problems (although I assume the fix was in direct response to that thread).
You assume wrong.

If you check the changelog:

Code: Select all

r4005 | Nach | 2006-10-15 21:22:15 +0200 (Sun, 15 Oct 2006) | 1 line

Now in Win/SDL selected input is highlighted in selection box.
This was done two weeks prior to that thread being created.

As to the why it was done, I have noticed despite my fix of disallowing key setting when input was none to stop the complaint of people setting keys and wondering why it wasn't working just caused people to wonder why they can't set keys. Now I thought to myself if it highlighted the current one it might be more intuitive based on comments from someone in #zsnes saying it should be a checkbox in Win32 and SDL. You'll notice I've worked on adding some input boxes to the video menu some days prior. In the process I noticed the video menu despite listing the current video mode also highlights it, so at that point I decided I should make the input menu do the same thing.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ryusan wrote:Always the freeze bug in Equinox (U) & (E) versions in the new WIP when i take an item (as an apple by example). Also bug with mode-7 on the atlas :

[/images]

(all options by default with a fresh installation of the new Zsnes WIP for Windows. And yes, i know that these bugs are known !!)
The latter pic, I'm not sure of. The former pic's issue is known. However, why are you rereporting if it's already known?
Nach wrote:
Jipcy wrote:
You assume wrong.

If you check the changelog:

Code: Select all

r4005 | Nach | 2006-10-15 21:22:15 +0200 (Sun, 15 Oct 2006) | 1 line

Now in Win/SDL selected input is highlighted in selection box.
This was done two weeks prior to that thread being created.

As to the why it was done, I have noticed despite my fix of disallowing key setting when input was none to stop the complaint of people setting keys and wondering why it wasn't working just caused people to wonder why they can't set keys. Now I thought to myself if it highlighted the current one it might be more intuitive based on comments from someone in #zsnes saying it should be a checkbox in Win32 and SDL. You'll notice I've worked on adding some input boxes to the video menu some days prior. In the process I noticed the video menu despite listing the current video mode also highlights it, so at that point I decided I should make the input menu do the same thing.
There was a discussion on this on IRC (though, I don't recall the checkbox suggestion) and even I didn't like the unintuitiveness issue (though, you could argue that some people cannot read if you've seen most threads relating to "cannot change input/player x controls"). It isn't beneficial as much since the DOS port has many options. If the joystick support were rewritten though (for SDL+Windows), this would certainly come in handy.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...