Is this power supplly compatible with this motherboard?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

IloveSteph
Rookie

Is this power supplly compatible with this motherboard?

Post by IloveSteph »

Motherboard = ASUS P4SD-VX Socket 478

PSU - Xion 500 watt ATX Ver. 2.20 Power Supply

Connectors

* 1x 20/24 Pin Motherboard Connector
* 1x 4-Pin +12V Motherboard Connector
* 2x 6-Pin PCI-Express Connectors
* 6x 4-Pin Molex
* 2x Floppy
* 1x 5-Pin SATA

My old power supply has another wire that is blue, white...and I think brown. Its not in front of me, but I do remember blue and white...and it was only a 3 wire connector that went to something on the motherboard. I believe it said power for fan...or something.
But, the Xion Psu doesn't have the 3 pin connector, but it has 4 pin connectors. Is it compatible? Or, do I need a new motherboard?
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

it'll work.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Is Xion even a reputable PSU maker? I've never heard of it. If you aren't buying a quality PSU, you might as well buy a new comp after it fries the system.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
IloveSteph
Rookie

Post by IloveSteph »

Well...this is a cheaper psu, 50$, but, its just so I can use a Geforce 7800. I am actually going to be building a new computer. This is just so I can play oblivion on high. And, what is a reputable power supply? The one I will put in my new computer is going to be a 800 watt SLI. What is a good one for this?
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

$50 dollar PSU + 7800 = dead PSU PDQ.

spend more money on the PSU if you are gunning for an expensive card.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It doesn't exactly matter what PSU wattage you have... any crappy PSU in use means the chances your system blows up increases exponentially. IIRC, some of the reputable manufacturers would include Enermax, Antec, Seasonic... and others I cannot remember off the top of my head. If you're not spending like $100 or so on the PSU, you are very likely going to be burned. Do yourself a favor and google about what people think of said PSU and the manufacturer.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

is thermaltake a reputable manufacturer?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64