Another NetPlay Problem

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

NecroNetics

Another NetPlay Problem

Post by NecroNetics »

Before you think i'm here to just ask the same questions over and over, hear me out. I saw the thing about NetPlay being broken, so i got 1.36, and its doing the same thing. I try to host, nothing works, my friends hosts, nothing works. We both have UDP checked, doesnt help, we uncheck it, doesnt help. I port forward and disabled my software firewall, didn't help. I'm ripping my hair out here.

When he tries to connect, what happens is it sticks at 'Connecting to Server,' and i know people say its not frozen, and to let it sit, but he let it sit way too long for it not to be frozen. When I try to connect, it doesnt freeze, but hangs for a bit, then says Cannot Connect (Or something to that effect) or it just hangs at connecting to server... If anyone can please enlighten me onto what i'm missing, i've read about 5 instructions, telling me the same thing, is there anyone that can help and try to connect to me? or I could connect to them? Or any proof it works at all. Thanks and sorry for the long post =P
genesis_SOC

Post by genesis_SOC »

It's not gonna' work unless you do the instructions in this post.

It's a bit confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it.
NecroNetics

Post by NecroNetics »

I have done the instructions, i portforwarded, i know my ip, i know how to change router settings, i know how most of this works, so if you're just gonna say 'read the post' why dont you tell me what i'm doing wrong..
genesis_SOC

Post by genesis_SOC »

Well you didn't say that. It seems to me like you just read the instructions but didn't do your portfowards right.
NecroNetics

Post by NecroNetics »

You must think i know nothing. I know how this works. I have portforwarded many times with different applications that are working as of this minute. :)
genesis_SOC

Post by genesis_SOC »

lol okay, but just looking at your first post seemed like you knew nothing. >_>

When I followed the instructions, it worked like a charm. Now just one problem remains with me <_<

Sorry man, I don't know what to tell you.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Remember that netplay is two-fold. Both sides must make the necessary adjustments...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
NecroNetics

Post by NecroNetics »

My friend who i am trying to connect to doesnt have a firewall, i'll tell him to disable his windows firewall and let you know if it helps.

EDIT no.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I've used netplay a few times. I've only gotten to test it on a LAN... :?

Someone else with more experience would probably know better. If you're not on a LAN, TCP is the best solution though.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

NecroNetics wrote:My friend who i am trying to connect to doesnt have a firewall, i'll tell him to disable his windows firewall and let you know if it helps.

EDIT no.
It's still a firewall. Create exceptions for ZSNES on your's too, if you haven't already. Also, check your modems. It may have some NAT/routing capability built-in, especially if it has more than 1 ethernet port on the back of it or wireless built-in.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
NecroNetics

Post by NecroNetics »

Heh. sorry about the bitterness guys. Of course, my friend thinks he did it, but ended up not. SORRY for the inconveniance, and HE knows what to do now :)
genesis_SOC

Post by genesis_SOC »

So what about my problem in my other post? >_>

EDIT: never mind, version 1.42 works with netplay for us ^_^
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

NecroNetics wrote:My friend who i am trying to connect to doesnt have a firewall, i'll tell him to disable his windows firewall and let you know if it helps.

EDIT no.
If he has a router, he most also port forward his ports.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
NecroNetics

Post by NecroNetics »

Yep everything is fine with this, but with lan, is there any extra thing to do? I have the firewall disabled, and i try to connect to 192.168.1.X (the host computer) with TCP/IP connection, and it gives the same error. :( I must be doing something incredibly stupid, considering LAN should be no problem.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

NecroNetics wrote:Yep everything is fine with this, but with lan, is there any extra thing to do? I have the firewall disabled, and i try to connect to 192.168.1.X (the host computer) with TCP/IP connection, and it gives the same error. :( I must be doing something incredibly stupid, considering LAN should be no problem.
No, it is actually quite easy to play in a lan.
NecroNetics

Post by NecroNetics »

Thats what i just said.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Well, I'm quite sure that lan IPs are 192.168.0.X, Are you sure it's 192.168.1.X?
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

The IP address can vary from router to router.

Can you connect to eachother with any other services like file sharing?
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
NecroNetics

Post by NecroNetics »

Yeah, i'm positive.

I use 192.168.1.7 for the server, which is portforwarded, and the other.. well it doesnt matter, he's connecting to me.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

If you're using UDP, both of you must forward port 7845. TCP only requires the server to forward.