how do I use mencoder?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Vigorousjammer
Rookie

how do I use mencoder?

Post by Vigorousjammer »

Ok, so, I downloaded mencoder...
and put it in the same directory as my ZSNES 1.43 WIP
I recorded a movie file on "reset" and stopped it after I got to the end of the level.

With the same movie slot selected, I selected the "XVID lossless" codec and pressed the "dump movie" button with all of the options on the right side checked...

Now it begins to play my movie again, opens up a dos window quickly, and then closes said dos window...
Now I have a 5kb AVI file in my main Zsnes folder... and it won't play on WMP...
does anybody know what i'm doing wrong?
::END OF TRANSMISSION::
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

First, why not trying to use v1.50 instead ?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Mencoder changes its options more often than not. Using the latest mencoder SVN version is the best bet for best compatibility with ZSNES. You can alternatively tweak zmovie.cfg if you want to use an older version.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You checked all the buttons on the right?
And you have LAME?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Vigorousjammer »

I have LAME, both .exe and the .dll that i've been using for a while now... do I need to tell it where it's located, or what?
yes, I checked all the buttons on the right.
I just downloaded mencoder, so i'm pretty sure it's the latest version.
i'll try 1.50 :)
thanks guys
Vigorousjammer
Rookie

Post by Vigorousjammer »

ok, I now downloaded ZSNES WIP 1.50 and re-recorded my video file... and i'm still having the same problems as before when trying to dump the video...

can anybody tell me how to config the mencoder options or how to tweak zmovie.cfg?

also, when I playback my movie in ZSNES, it starts out exactly like I played it, but then it goes into a completely different tangent when I hit the part of the yoshi's island level where you "hit fuzzy" and "get dizzy"
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Vigorousjammer wrote:I have LAME, both .exe and the .dll
In other words you're using a completely broken LAME.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There's a fair chance that the YI hack to keeps some levels like that sane is probably the culprit.

Make sure mencoder.exe and lame.exe (from the movie thread) is in the folder (I'm using the 12/19/06 SVN build) and it works just fine.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Nach: why would that LAME be broken? There's a lame_enc.dll that some programs use (stand-alone from the exe), and typically the binary releases of LAME have the exe and dll bundled together.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Firon wrote:Nach: why would that LAME be broken? There's a lame_enc.dll that some programs use (stand-alone from the exe), and typically the binary releases of LAME have the exe and dll bundled together.
Nach has mentioned it before.. you could try to search the zboard for the response. It doesn't quite work as intended to say the least.

Edit: Found it - http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ame#120992
Nach wrote:The LAME bug is an invalid seek in the code which makes it not record the audio properly. If you're not going to use my LAME, don't use LAME at all.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Hm, I hadn't heard of that before. So, it's a LAME bug then?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Yes. Patches were submitted, but rejected as I was told (you could probably find those logs @ the LAME tracker).