New PSP hack lets you play PSX games without PS3 converter

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Interesting.... :)

I must get a PSP now.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

This will probably used for piracy.

But Sony sucks.

So I'm allowing it.

Go me.

Note: ZSNES and it's authors do not support piracy.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

The PS3 will be more piracy wise than the PSP. I think that in 3 years the PS3 will be full of emulators of all kind.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

I think it's time to dust off my PSP...
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

You should. The emulator is freaking amazing. I decided to test out a random game not really expecting it to work, but it worked flawlessly. I don't think it works with multi disk games yet either, but someone will probably find a solution to that.

Here's a list of games that work pretty good with popstation. You can add rival schools NTSC since that was the game I tested with it.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=40526
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

What does it do in terms of scaling? Letterbox mode or stretch?
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Wowzers.
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

casualsax3 wrote:What does it do in terms of scaling? Letterbox mode or stretch?
It has 3 screen modes: Original, Normal, and Full Screen.

Original I guess is the standard PSX image size, Normal scales the picture to fit the PSP screen better (similar to the "Zoom 4:3" option in PSP emulators), and Full Screen just stretches the image across the screen.

All the modes seem to do a small amount of filtering to the image.
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

SO i'm guessing you have to put the psx iso in your psp. This means I need a gig memory stick for my psp, so I can't try this just yet. :(
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Pretty much. Eh I kinda lucked out and rival schools didn't fill up my whole memory stick. Some games are a lot smaller then others since they don't have stuff like FMVs. You can also rip out voices, music, or FMV sequences if you have the proper tools. If I was to guess where to get them I'd say mobygames.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

I have a 1GB stick and a 2GB stick I could try it out with , was gonna do this last night but my battery was at 0% , oh well

I also need to find some games , I was thinking Harvest Moon BTN , or FF7 , maybe the FF4/CT discs , I'd like to try Digimon World also , I wouldnt mind seeing a Monster Rancher game on it , but I kinda doubt the monster generating thing...
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

There's apparently a memory stick -> SD adapter (I haven't actually seen it myself, just heard people talking about it), so maybe you could use that if you want cheaper media.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Memory Stick is dirt cheap these days - you can get a 4GB card for like $75.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...You call that dirt cheap?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Metatron wrote:...You call that dirt cheap?
It's an improvement over many forms of portable media (except for hds).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

$75 is pretty reasonable. I thought it was more expensive than that. 4GB SD cards cost about that much.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Here in Mexico, 256 mb cost almost $25. 4gb for $75 is incredibly cheap in contrast.
_-|-_
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Question: Memory Sticks are more expensive than SD Cards? When My dad bought us Digital Cameras, I got a Canon Powershot A540 that uses SD Cards and my dumb Sister got a Sony Cybershot, the dude that was helping us told us that Memory Sticks were more expensive.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I don't think they are that much different nowadays in price. If anything, they are more or less the same. A card probably has more uses if you are using digital cameras anyways, but a stick is nicer if you like portable media.... (then again, you could get a converter for the mem cards as someone suggested, which kinda makes the mem card much more useful indeed). In any case... meh.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Yeah, The Memory Stick Duo that we bought came with an adapter, I told my sister not to lose it, but I wouldn't count on it.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

It's much more expensive if you buy in brick and mortar stores. I guess the prices are comparable online.
Personally, I don't like Memory Stick since virtually nothing except Sony products support it.

MisterJones: I bought my SD card online. Even though you live in Mexico, you might be able to find an online store that ships internationally, and it should cost a lot less.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Firon wrote:It's much more expensive if you buy in brick and mortar stores. I guess the prices are comparable online.
Personally, I don't like Memory Stick since virtually nothing except Sony products support it.

MisterJones: I bought my SD card online. Even though you live in Mexico, you might be able to find an online store that ships internationally, and it should cost a lot less.
I don't mind, because I buy a card to leave in my camera, not so I can use it in my camera, then transfer it to my PSP or some other device. Sharing memory cards sucks, so I don't mind that my Cybershot is the only thing that uses it.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Any updates on the firmware or progress of of the emu?

I still havnt tried it yet cuz the only PS1 games that arent packed away for me are FF7 , and Digimon World , and my mem cards
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I managed to nab a 1GB Memory Stick Duo for PSP at a gamestop for like $55
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.