Damn 48-bit LBA...

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

FistOfFury
Hazed

Damn 48-bit LBA...

Post by FistOfFury »

I got a new Seagate 300GB hard drive and XP Pro with Service Pack 2 is not recognizing the 'full' space.

Let me give some background info as to how I arrived to this point.

First, I installed Windows XP Pro SP1 on the new drive. The installation's partitioning section recognized the 'full' size (280 something, jesus, that much is lost?) just fine. I created 1 partition of 60 gigs, and left the other 220 something unpartitioned (I don't know why...don't ask lol it was too late to go back) and proceeded with the installation. After I got Windows XP Pro SP1 up and running I went into control panel --> administrative toos --> computer management --> storage --> disk management (local), to double-check how much space was left unpartitioned before going to sleep, 220 something whatever.

Now, this morning I woke up and decided to first install Service Pack 2. Installed it. Then I went into the disk management thingy to partition the rest of the drive and it only shows '66.48 GB Unallocated.'

The hell?! :evil: I thought Service Pack 1 and up supported 48-bit LBA? :evil:

How do I get back the missing space?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

I'm not sure what exactly happened to you, but you need to pay a little more attention to the details.

It appears to me that you have an XP cd slipstreamed with SP1 as the original XP cd would have detected 137GB only by default. It looks to me you created a parition of 220GB and forgot to partition the other 60GB.. if it were partitioned, it probably isn't formatted just yet.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

XP won't allow you to create a partition larger than 32 GB using FAT32 IIRC.

That being said, you MIGHT need a bios update, depending on the age of your motherboard.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I had a problem similar to this a while ago

there should be a thread here somewhere about it
bringing Zsnes back
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

What am I supposed to do with that windows webpage link? I went to it before you linked it and it just confused me. It says to install SP2, but I did that before. With SP1 my atapi.sys file's version is 5.1.2600.1106, underneath the required number yet windows is showing 'full' size hard drive. With SP2 it's 5.1.2600.2180, over the minimum version required, yet it doesn't recognize hard drive beyond 137 gigs. The registry part I'm not touching because it is just confusing.... My BIOS shows the hard drive as 137 GB, but windows SP1 shows my 'full' size of 280 gigs and change. There is no BIOS update for my motherboard, I have the latest (from 2002). I'm using NTFS for file system.
Deathlike2 wrote: It appears to me that you have an XP cd slipstreamed with SP1 as the original XP cd would have detected 137GB only by default.
I have no clue...I guess...it's not my CD (a copy of my cousin's).
Deathlike2 wrote: It looks to me you created a parition of 220GB and forgot to partition the other 60GB.. if it were partitioned, it probably isn't formatted just yet.
No...the other way around...and the +220 GB space was never partitioned, just 'unallocated.'

Now I reinstalled XP Pro SP1 into the same 60 GB partition because I don't know what else to do. Windows setup showed the 'full' 280 gigs, just like last time, and it showed the 220 gigs that I left unpartitioned, just like last time. After getting windows up and running again, the computer management thingy shows my 'full' 280 gigs, just like last time. I partitioned the unallocated 220 gigs and right now it's formatting. I'm wondering if it will go back to 137 gigs once I install SP2, like last time, I don't want to stay with SP1. :x
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Hmm, my only suggestion is to use an XP CD that has SP2 slipstreamed. Then, it would make life easier.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Deathlike2 wrote:Hmm, my only suggestion is to use an XP CD that has SP2 slipstreamed. Then, it would make life easier.
http://www.nliteos.com/
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

Okay...I thought of something that happened with the first installation of SP2...I noticed that the installation hanged near the end and was taking forever. It took like 20 minutes to do the upgrade. I thought nothing of it and thought that's how long it's supposed to take.

Well, today I installed SP2 after my reinstallation of windows, and it took around 1 minute or somewhere around there to install (I wasn't paying attention to the exact time, I was watching TV and was surprised when I looked back at the comp screen). And my hard drive is shown as it's full 280 gigs! Could this have been the reason? What could have caused that? The only other difference last time around was that I previously installed SP2 from the downloaded file on my older hard drive. This time around I used my CD copy (which I made from the same file on the older hard drive). I dunno...

Anyway, another side questions if you guys don't mind... I'm also experiencing problems installing the 'Intel Ultra ATA Storage Driver' that came with my motherboard's CD. I installed the Intel 845 chipset drivers fine, but when I went to instal the Ultra ATA drivers my computer shut down..and on reboot windows came up with that wierd screen that says windows failed to load and asked me if I should go into safe mode, load windows as normal, or use last known good configuration. Choosing normal shut it down again, so I chose last known good configuration and then used system restore (good thing I chose to create a restore point) to go back just to be sure everything is okay. So my question is, wtf? lol And do I really need the Ultra ATA driver? I never really understood what it's for anyway when I previously installed it (just fine) on windows 2000 pro.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I think the hanging is a symptom of something bigger. In any case, it pays to pay attention to your comp while Windows is installing.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/s ... /ultraATA/

In other words, "don't use this crap, it's old, use something else" according to the website.
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

Deathlike2 wrote:I think the hanging is a symptom of something bigger.
Awesome....lol... :?
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Your story reminded me about the time where I was working at a retail store customer service desk and a weird guy walks in and starts rambling on about the 160? GB limit and how Microsoft messed up the world by only using 32-bit addressing and how we were all doomed.

Just nodded and smiled. He wasn't any more insane than any of the other customers**.

When he had satisfactorily educated me, he just walked right back out the front sliding doors.

**Like the people who would come in and make self service copies and not keep track, and expect me to come up with an exact quantity to charge them with. Or the people that would grab a box of 30 pens and only want 2 of them. Or people that wanted to buy non-functioning displays.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

whicker wrote:When he had satisfactorily educated me, he just walked right back out the front sliding doors.
:)
whicker wrote:Or people that wanted to buy non-functioning displays.
:shock:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
<_<
Rookie

Re: Damn 48-bit LBA...

Post by <_< »

They probably want the parts, or think they can fix them.
FistOfFury wrote:the 'full' size (280 something, jesus, that much is lost?)
No, you've just been lied to. HDD manufacturers use metric (1K = 1000 bytes) while Windows uses 1K = 1024 bytes. You think that's bad, try buying a "64mb" memory chip and getting only 8 megabytes, because "mb" in lowercase is megabits! WTF, why would anyone measure in bits?
It's-a me, Mario! Wait, no it's not.
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

I had a very similar (if not the same problem) with a hard drive. A hard drive of about 130gb, Windows XP SP1 installed. It was recognized as one of less capacity and most of the data it had was lost. After upgrading to SP2, the problem was solved. So I would assume such incident isn't as uncommon as I'd think.
What?
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Re: Damn 48-bit LBA...

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

<_< wrote:You think that's bad, try buying a "64mb" memory chip and getting only 8 megabytes, because "mb" in lowercase is megabits! WTF, why would anyone measure in bits?
you're on the zsnes forums, so you should know a thing or two about the snes. I remember when killer instinct and donkey kong country came out, proclaiming "32MB" all over the place (yes uppercase.) same with gba flash cards and shit. it's better to advertise a larger number if possible. even cars: "400HP" which is what the engine puts out without transmission and other power reducers. for HP, by the time that power actually hits the wheels, it's reduced by at least 20%. I bet you go around telling all the girls you have a 10.2 centimeter penis, and you don't even have to lie!

edit: Silensho you need to get with the times. I don't see people complaining about windows 98 not recognizing their 5 terrabyte hard drive. SP1 are you kidding? you need to slipstream that shit with sp2 like everybody else did two years ago.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Granted that he should know a bit about megabits from stealing SNES games, but only third world knock-off flash drives are sold by megabits. Places slightly higher up on the ladder have already graduated to gigabits.