Overclocking Feature?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Overclocking Feature?

Post by Guest »

I was wondering if you can impliment an overclocking feature in the emulator.

For example, let's look at MAME, which has this feature. In games like Double Dragon normally, the game would slow down massively when 2 guys come on screen. However, if you overclock the CPU within the game, the game doesn't slow down at all anymore.
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

I thought about asking about this before but I figured there wouldn´t be much of a response.

It is pretty much obligatory to put the feature in Mame / Neo emulators where there´s plenty games that tank hard very easily.

Gradius 3 and Parodius 3 (so much for the extra 10mhz...) are the only games that come to mind when I think of slowdown. Would still be nice to see the feature because it´s irritating getting all the options and having the game crawl along at snail´s pace.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Even if you "think" this idea is cool, it is not. Why in hell would one want to test against "virtual overclocking" when some games are relatively sensitive to precise timing? This is not a bright idea.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Isn't the "percent to execute" option or whatever it was called, in the cfg file, about the closest thing to "overclocking" there is?

But yeah, as was mentioned before, SNES games are very timing-sensitive. They might become extremely glitchy, crash, or unable to start at all.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Just use the fastforward (~) key.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

AntoineWG wrote:Just use the fastforward (~) key.
That's not quite the solution. He's looking to remove the "slowdowns" when too many sprites are on the screen.

Seriously though, you won't get any sort of accurate emulation by doing this in the first place.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...

Post by Guest »

Deathlike2 wrote:
AntoineWG wrote:Just use the fastforward (~) key.
That's not quite the solution. He's looking to remove the "slowdowns" when too many sprites are on the screen.

Seriously though, you won't get any sort of accurate emulation by doing this in the first place.
I don't mind if I don't get 100% accurate emulation. I prefer playablity over accuracy IMO.

But isn't it possible to play the game and not crash? Wasn't there a person that actually overclocked a SNES game and it actually worked with better results.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

No, when he overclocked it games ran faster than normal and with stability issues, iirc.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There was supposedly one guy that overclocked the SuperFX chip or something and supposedly everything went faster. However, I really don't think it would have been a good idea in the long run (if this is all true anyways). In any case, you will not get desirable results.

Post by Guest »

Deathlike2 wrote:There was supposedly one guy that overclocked the SuperFX chip or something and supposedly everything went faster. However, I really don't think it would have been a good idea in the long run (if this is all true anyways). In any case, you will not get desirable results.
:cry:

There must be a way to OC it, yet not cause stability issues somehow.

I must get rid of the slowdown in the games.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Your only chance would be examining the game's assembler code, find out what areas need to be changed to allow for a faster CPU, and change them. See ya again in five years, at least... :wink:

Really, try to find a port that runs on better hardware.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Yes. Edit zsnesw.cfg and change the percent to execute to something higher that 100. This can cause instabilty in the games though.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]

Post by Guest »

Starman Ghost wrote:Yes. Edit zsnesw.cfg and change the percent to execute to something higher that 100. This can cause instabilty in the games though.
Tried it in a game with a lot of slowdown (Final Fight 3) and it fixed it.

However, can you set it higher than 150 though? It seems like it does nothing after 150 IMO.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

150 is the limit. Does anyone read the cfg file or the command line limits or... the docs?? :x

Post by Guest »

Deathlike2 wrote:150 is the limit. Does anyone read the cfg file or the command line limits or... the docs?? :x
I was hoping it would go higher.

Made games, especially the Super FX games run a lot smoother. Might go even smoother if I can go higher.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Deathlike2 wrote: Does anyone read the cfg file or the command line limits or... the docs?? :x
reading... docs? what is reading docs this you speak of :?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

http://zsnes-docs.sf.net

THOSE docs. -_-"
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

It's called *sarcasm*, Chuckles.