Why won't my games stay saved?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

kid102
Rookie

Why won't my games stay saved?

Post by kid102 »

I can be playing a game fore a couple of hours and then eventually I will have to shutdown or restart. When I do this all my game saves are gone oh and how do i save states?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

If you don't define a save path to a folder to your hard drive, you will have problems. That's probably because you may be running games off a cd-rom.

Edit: F2 to save states. Of course, if you are not pointing to a folder on your hd, you will fail to create a savestate.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

So can you give me a link explaining how to do that or tell me how? Becuase I'm really new to this emulator stuff.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I recommend reading most of what you find in the official documentation:
http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/html/readme.htm

When I first got ZSNES almost a decade ago, I read the docs cover to cover, and since then have reread the docs at least two dozen times with new versions. It's the best way to catch up as much as possible with how the emulator works.

If after reading it all you still have questions, or you find a relevant passage a bit over your head, feel free to ask more specific questions.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by kid102 »

Um ok I'll try my best to understand all of this.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is tottaly over my head, I need help bad.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

OK how do I destinate a filepath for saves and savestates?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

How about you look in Config --> Paths. This is in the ZSNES documentation. Although I suppose it's fairly useless if you don't understand what you are reading.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

Ok so what do I do at the paths screen? Because like I said this is really hard from me to understand.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I think you need to learn about the PC a bit more before you think about tackling this.

There are many paths you can define in Config->Paths. One happens to be the "Save" path. Click somewhere in the rectangular box it is associated with, and you will see a cursor appear. You then type in the path. Hit the Enter/Return key when you are done. If you don't understand paths, go google it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

OK sorry for being so annyoing but do i just put c or file e or something like that in the save path?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Just enter one dot in the box. Assuming you are loading ZSNES from your hard drive, the save files should also go there as well.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

OH and BTW that wikipedia link. Helped a bit, becuase I only know the basics of computers you know the softwares thats are semi safe the operating systems compairisons. Basic stuff I'm not much of a programmer.

Oh and how come when ever I open up a new zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) I allways have to re-input everything. I'm not useing it from a cd.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It sounds like you have limited permissions on your computer... or at least on the folder you put ZSNES in. If using the Save Cfg option in Misc->Save Cfg doesn't work, then that's probably the case.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

Thanks so much lol the save cfg worked. Sorry for asking so many questions lol.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

this is the most annoying thing It said it saved it but it didn't and also I'm the admin of my comp. So I can't be inhibited by anything can I.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Could this be one of those situations where Windows XP thinks that his ZSNES folder is write protected, I wonder?
Last edited by Agozer on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

Well I do use Mcafee as a firewall if that makes any difference.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

kid102 wrote:Well I do use Mcafee as a firewall if that makes any difference.
Using a firewall should have no effect when using ZSNES. (Unless you want to netplay.)
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

Maybe one day I'll understand it.
This is all new to me...
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

To elaborate my previous post, Windows XP will sometimes mark folders as read-only, preventing the user (even with full Administrator rights) to write to those folders. The problem won't go away even if you manually remove the Read-only setting from the folder(s) as it always comes back.

In other words, you need to remove the read-only attribute via the Windows Command Prompt.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

OK and how do i do that? Like I said I'm newb when it come to stuff like that.
This is all new to me...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

1. open a command prompt (start -> run -> in the box type cmd.exe and click OK)
2. type in: attrib.exe -R /D /S C:\path\to\zsnes\saves\here
3. done.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kid102
Rookie

Post by kid102 »

Its says path not found. I copied and pasted everything so I dont think I made a mistake.
This is all new to me...
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Another thing you could try is enable the "SRAM Check + Save" option in ZSNES. Just open ZSNES, then go to Config-->Saves and enable the option. Then play a game and see if it saves.
Last edited by xamenus on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

kid102 wrote:Its says path not found. I copied and pasted everything so I dont think I made a mistake.
When AOL said C:\path\to\zsnes\saves\here, he wasn't being literal about it. You need to know the actual path to ZSNES.