ZSNES in the news

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

ZSNES in the news

Post by pagefault »

Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

The ZSNES open-source Super Nintendo emulator, available for Microsoft Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and DOS, beats other emulators with its superior compatibility, stability, graphics, audio, and usability.
I like ZSNES a lot and it's the SNES emu I use the most, but people shouldn't confuse "most popular" and "the best"...
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I didn't write it. ;)
Annihilated
Rookie

Post by Annihilated »

Stifu wrote:
The ZSNES open-source Super Nintendo emulator, available for Microsoft Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and DOS, beats other emulators with its superior compatibility, stability, graphics, audio, and usability.
I like ZSNES a lot and it's the SNES emu I use the most, but people shouldn't confuse "most popular" and "the best"...
Name a better one.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Don't turn this into a flame thread please.
Annihilated
Rookie

Post by Annihilated »

Why do you say that?
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

Because (we) respect all emulators for there own achievements...that's why.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

pagefault wrote:I didn't write it. ;)
I know, just saying... Too many misinformed (and therefore misinforming) people, about everything.
Annihilated
Rookie

Post by Annihilated »

DEFIANT wrote:Because (we) respect all emulators for there own achievements...that's why.
That didn't really answer my question...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Annihilated wrote:
DEFIANT wrote:Because (we) respect all emulators for there own achievements...that's why.
It is too easy for a thread to degenerate into an emulator flame war as to why one is better than another.. instead of looking at what target audiences they are for. That is why it was said earlier.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Annihilated
Rookie

Post by Annihilated »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Annihilated wrote:
It is too easy for a thread to degenerate into an emulator flame war as to why one is better than another.. instead of looking at what target audiences they are for. That is why it was said earlier.
Stifu seems to disagree with the article, and I don't see why. I didn't find anything "misinforming" about it.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Annihilated wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Annihilated wrote:
Stifu seems to disagree with the article, and I don't see why. I didn't find anything "misinforming" about it.
It is inaccurate to some extent. For instance, netplay is only available in the older versions and hardware acceleration from video cards don't make the games look any better. They wrote a poor description.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
SquareHead
Veteran

Re: ZSNES in the news

Post by SquareHead »

Didnt I post this one over in General Nonsense?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Yes you did.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Annihilated wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Annihilated wrote:
It is inaccurate to some extent. For instance, netplay is only available in the older versions and hardware acceleration from video cards don't make the games look any better. They wrote a poor description.
Not only that, but I could swear its why we're getting so many of those, peope who dont read documentation asking really dumb questions threads as of late. You know the ones "how I get games?; how I make it work?; how i set keys?"
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

They're wrong about the audio part.SNEeSe and bsnes have much more accurate audio for now.
(although the latest SVN build of ZSNES has greatly improved audio accuracy.Super Turrican now finally sounds very close to the real thing.For example,no more stuttering triple "1up" when an extra life is collected and the music is so much better)

Also for the compatibility part.bsnes is the king here (100/100% for non special chip games)

The ZSNES GUI is very nice (I love the AmigaOS homage),but the main problem is it's very low-res.
Is there a higher-res GUI in the plans?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

kick wrote:Is there a higher-res GUI in the plans?
I remember a long discussion about a new GUI in the works. Not sure if that progressed any further.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

snkcube wrote:
kick wrote:Is there a higher-res GUI in the plans?
I remember a long discussion about a new GUI in the works. Not sure if that progressed any further.
One day.
Annihilated
Rookie

Post by Annihilated »

Netplay was disabled? Damn, I didn't even realize that. ZSNES sounds just fine to me. It's not that PCmag wrote an inaccurate description, just a general one. And as a result, people are tossing lots of small exceptions at it. You will notice that they did not mention anything to do with accuracy at all.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Annihilated wrote:You will notice that they did not mention anything to do with accuracy at all.
The general public does not care about accuracy. Or so it would seem. If the game looks and feels the same, most average users will not care if it's emulated inaccurately.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

xamenus wrote:
Annihilated wrote:You will notice that they did not mention anything to do with accuracy at all.
The general public does not care about accuracy. Or so it would seem. If the game looks and feels the same, most average users will not care if it's emulated inaccurately.
They don't care if it looks and feels the same, as long as it runs tolerably.

See: Famiclone.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

kick wrote:They're wrong about the audio part.SNEeSe and bsnes have much more accurate audio for now.
(although the latest SVN build of ZSNES has greatly improved audio accuracy.Super Turrican now finally sounds very close to the real thing.For example,no more stuttering triple "1up" when an extra life is collected and the music is so much better)

Also for the compatibility part.bsnes is the king here (100/100% for non special chip games)

The ZSNES GUI is very nice (I love the AmigaOS homage),but the main problem is it's very low-res.
Is there a higher-res GUI in the plans?
Our compat rate 1.60 puts us near 99%.
Watering ur plants.
byuu

Post by byuu »

If you count special chips and BS-X support (and they are real games, after all), ZSNES and SNES9x have the highest compatibility of all emulators. I imagine the new cycle-accurate ZSNES S-CPU core will tip things in their favor here, as I don't foresee SNES9x getting such a new core at this time.

Also, blargg's S-DSP (which is being added to ZSNES) shouldn't be discounted lightly. He's really tearing into subsample emulation. Though still a work in progress, it will basically be in the range of 32x more precise than any existing S-DSP emulator. It's really very impressive from what I've seen so far.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

BS-X is a pain... We don't have it perfect yet either.. Maybe we can do some cross research on this when you are bored.
Watering ur plants.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'd need hardware and a way to run my own tests on it. I don't like the idea of personally guessing to make things work. I see how well that worked for everyone in the mid-1990's :/

But if I could run my own code on the BS-X hardware, through my own programs through the BS-X cart port on the top, I would definitely help out.